Fly fishing vs. ????

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
OnTheFly said:
Catch and release is easy with any type of fishing as long as you crimp the barb and don't use trebble hooks.

I tie my flies into barbless treble hooks actually... A lot of people don't know this but it really helps to keep the fly in balance during casting which prevents line twist. Yup.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Sacrilidge! OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! (need a little smiley icon that runs back and forth on fire here)

Never heard of someone using trebles for flies except some really old school salmon flies, and usually it's either a single or double hook. Do you find that you pin the fish's mouth shut much with the treble-flies? I got into the habit of cutting 2 points off all my treble equipped lures because I was pinning fish's mouths closed too often for my comfort (and I'm sure it wasn't much fun for the fishes either).

It is interesting that you point out that the flies stabilize more - that does make a bit of sense. Counter balance to the single point hanging down...

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
GungasUncle said:
Sacrilidge! OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! (need a little smiley icon that runs back and forth on fire here)

Never heard of someone using trebles for flies except some really old school salmon flies, and usually it's either a single or double hook. Do you find that you pin the fish's mouth shut much with the treble-flies? I got into the habit of cutting 2 points off all my treble equipped lures because I was pinning fish's mouths closed too often for my comfort (and I'm sure it wasn't much fun for the fishes either).

It is interesting that you point out that the flies stabilize more - that does make a bit of sense. Counter balance to the single point hanging down...

hahaha I'm kidding dude. Take a breath LOL. :D

O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:
I tie my flies into barbless treble hooks actually... A lot of people don't know this but it really helps to keep the fly in balance during casting which prevents line twist. Yup.
trouble maker..

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
GraphiteZen said:
hahaha I'm kidding dude. Take a breath LOL. :D

Was an attempt at sarcasm ;)

Now that you put that idea out there (treble hooked flies!) - I can see someone doing it! Oo - a flesh & blood fly for catfish tied on a treble wouldn't be a bad idea...

J
Jasony
I was a fly fisherman until i was twelve then i opened my mind and evolved into a fish slaying maniac. If snagging was legal I would drag 10-0 treble hooks through every hole in the northwest! Ha Ha ha! Nothing is sweeter than watching my dad thrash the water on fish that won't hit a fly only to watch him look over as i land anouther big fat steelie......"do you want me to hook one for you dad?"
ahhh yes it is so sweet.....and to answer the original question...you can fish a fly on a float or cast it out on a three-way, troll it, tip it with a maggot, or trol it with leaded line. These techniques i use quite often with a lot of success, sometimes with better success than my pop. once in a great while I have to break out the Winston and pretend to be a little snobby. "yes Charles let's do some casting and later we can eat cheese and drink wine while we make fun of all the poor people." (just kidding)
I love the treble hook on a fly idea, sence i don't let any legal fish go until I have my limit Im not worried about releasing them. I quit fishing when my limit is reached because no matter what fish kissers say, the fight itself, reguardless of the unhooking process, kills millions of samonoids every year....But I guess thats sporting, or at least it's great fun for the guy who gets to kill tweny steelhead in a day while only tagging one. Remember going from a 5 techniques to 1 is not evolution, it is regression.

G
GDBrown
GungasUncle said:

Now that you put that idea out there (treble hooked flies!) - I can see someone doing it! Oo - a flesh & blood fly for catfish tied on a treble wouldn't be a bad idea...

Think..... Tube flies with a treble!

Like I said before, I'm suppose to occasionally bring home a fish for dinner so I will resort to bait in order to do that. I can usually just go up to Hagg and catch a couple for a meal and then go back to C&R. But, come fall when the Chinooks are in the coastal rivers I will bait up and try and put some meat in the freezer for the winter. It only takes two Salmon to get us through the winter.

Now, I'm going to log OFF and put the 8wt in the truck and head for the Sandy.

GD

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
GungasUncle said:

We are just too clever!!! :D

B
bigsteel
Jasony said:
I was a fly fisherman until i was twelve then i opened my mind and evolved into a fish slaying maniac. If snagging was legal I would drag 10-0 treble hooks through every hole in the northwest! Ha Ha ha! Nothing is sweeter than watching my dad thrash the water on fish that won't hit a fly only to watch him look over as i land anouther big fat steelie......"do you want me to hook one for you dad?"
ahhh yes it is so sweet.....and to answer the original question...you can fish a fly on a float or cast it out on a three-way, troll it, tip it with a maggot, or trol it with leaded line. These techniques i use quite often with a lot of success, sometimes with better success than my pop. once in a great while I have to break out the Winston and pretend to be a little snobby. "yes Charles let's do some casting and later we can eat cheese and drink wine while we make fun of all the poor people." (just kidding)
I love the treble hook on a fly idea, sence i don't let any legal fish go until I have my limit Im not worried about releasing them. I quit fishing when my limit is reached because no matter what fish kissers say, the fight itself, reguardless of the unhooking process, kills millions of samonoids every year....But I guess thats sporting, or at least it's great fun for the guy who gets to kill tweny steelhead in a day while only tagging one. Remember going from a 5 techniques to 1 is not evolution, it is regression.

WOW,u sound like an ethical fisherman:rolleyes: i wonder how many steelhead you kill in order to reach your limit

T
troutramp
whoa someone has daddy issues, and needs to find the Oregon snagging/ flossing forum, thats not located at this web address.

O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:
We are just too clever!!! :D
Regarding post 24 I ment 'trebble maker':D

Last edited by a moderator:
E
Eastcoastborn
markasd said:
hooked and landed one first trip out and seldom get a skunk.. so?

I need to go fishing with you because I get skunked every time. What are you doing this weekend?

Reactions: Markcanby
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Reactions: Markcanby
H
hawgin
Well maybe I'll have to give fly fishing a shot? Some good replies here, some worth about 2 cents...

H
halibuthitman
Jasony said:

sounds like your dad is the one who has evolved..... well, except for that winston thing, but im sure he just hasn't had a chance to cast a Thomas&Thomas yet...

Reactions: OnTheFly and Markcanby
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
ouch...

J
Jasony
ha ha ha! I knew I could get a rise out of you feather flingers :) I just had to use the right BAIT! As long as your having fun, enjoying yourself, and doing your best to preserve our precious fisheries then your ok with me. And dad is a die hard Winston fan he moved to montana just to be close to the factory! I'll let him know about the T&T though. This is great fun...so glad I joined...no offence intended... I just like stirring the pot.;) oh and I'm crappie fishin brownlee this weekend come join me!...yea baby!

J
Jasony
none, i catch my limit and go home. the unethical ones are the ones catch and releasing lots of fish, they kill A LOT more than me! Some spiecies even turn around and go back to the ocean without spawning after being released because the stress is so high after being caught they can't go up river anymore. So ethically my approach is much less harmful to the fish than that of catch and relelease fishermen. I see their catches floating by sideways all the time. Now thats ethical! I witnessed a hole hogger catch and release tweny steelies on "the rock" behind hells canyon dam. He kept his limit and kept on fishing. I know he killed at least half of them , blood running out of thier gills as they were released back into the river to die a slow miserable death and rot. I caught my two (it's a lot slower if your not on the rock) and went home. And I'm not ethical? See my point?...I think that guys just want to catch and catch and catch. They lack the selfcontrol to say "we've done well, lets just call it a day, shall we?" It gives them a warm fuzzy feeling to let it go back into the wild like the fish enjoyed the experience or something. I eat my kills and don't kid yourself thats what your doing, killer! Now have fun and remember there are always two points of view. ha ha ha ha!

J
Jasony
looks like you need to find the learn how to take a joke forum. I love my dad and we have a lot of fun giving each other crap back and forth but he can take a joke, something you need to look into. Mabe look on the "open your mind to other typs of fishing forum". Ofcourse you use rubber hooks dipped in novacane, right, cause it would be so horrible if the fishy felt a little sting? Com-on dude I have a right to my opinions just as you do yours and isn't that why we're all here?

J
Jasony
ha ha good one...I'll tell dad about the T&T!