Fly fishing for trout on the Wilson

B
boolywho
Hello all, I'm new to the forum so this is my first post!

I live in Portland and would like to start fishing the Wilson. I've only ever driven by it on my way to the coast, but it's always looked gorgeous. I currently only own a 5-weight fly rod outfit, so I'm somewhat limited to trout fishing (unless I could luck into landing a small steelhead on it).
Anyway, I'd like to know where to fish for trout (sea-run cutts would be great!) on the Wilson. I really only want some very general information, such as where along Hwy 6 is a good place to stop and fish. I'm not expecting anyone to give away their secret spot.

Since I'm from Portland, the farther upriver I could fish and still be productive the better, since that would translate into a shorter drive for me. The more specifics anyone can give me the better. Thanks for any help, this seems like a great forum!

H
halibuthitman
just look for the well used turnouts.... with the most garbage myself i love the top end of the river. its a very fun river to fish... on a monday or tuesday, i avoid the weekends

bass
When I do get permission to fish it is usually on the weekends - I do not have a lot of choice of when I get to go The Wilson really is not too crowded (except for swimmers in the big slow holes) during the summer. I usually just pull off at pretty much any turnout and look down at the river. If I can see a nice run I know there will be some trout. I have not really found any spot to be magically better than any other. The better the water looks usually the better it fishes. I avoid deep slow water and concentrate on the pocket water and the heads of pools. I usually fish a caddis dry fly (stimulator, elk hair, etc) about 1/2 way up my leader on a dropper, a caddis emerger 1/4 up my leader on a dropper and then a beadhead (BH) pupa for the tail. Usually the dry and the BH catch the bulk of the fish. I fish this down and across, letting the BH sink on a dead drift for a while and then swinging it. It is fun to catch a good sized fish on that dry fly! Note that there always seem to be a lot of smolts around so please be careful.

B
boolywho
Thanks for the info bass and halibuthitman. I have another question... what size range of trout should I expect in the upper section of the river and is the fishing good all summer?

C
chris61182
Thanks for the info bass and halibuthitman. I have another question... what size range of trout should I expect in the upper section of the river and is the fishing good all summer?

I wouldn't expect any of substantial size, most will be under 8", until the searuns start showing up next month and into the fall.