Fly fishing for the beginner

D
Doc Crappie
some interesting reading here thanks

G
GDBrown
For the beginner

For the beginner

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it OTF.

One of my first mentors told me two things that I remember every time I go fishing. First: is to know what fish eat. Bugs, eggs (from other fish) and worms. Even the biggest Salmon in the river remembers that worms are food. Second: the OFFering must be presented naturally to be effective. We started by drifting a worm along the cut banks of the creeks and floating dry flies over rising fish. It took a while but I finally figured that I could combine the two. Dry fly with a San Juan worm dropper!:dance: It is dynamite in areas where you can get the fly close to an undercut bank. I also do the same thing with a nymph/woolybugger on either still water or small stream. When OTF took me to Clear lake a few weeks ago I got my heaviest strike on the San Juan Worm under the Olive bug, Ripped the fly right OFF the tippet.:shock: Another great fly is a Black Ant fished next to the bank.

T
trollin4trout
just putting my .02 in here.

Adding a fly to your flasher set-up will absolutely catch fish! A small dodger and a fly is also deadly and less drag on your pole.

And natural presentation or not- I routinely troll flies at 2-3 mph straight through the water and fish just SLAM'EM! It does help at times to lift your rodtip and let it back to tease them into biting.

Jim