Floating the Keno stretch of Klamath River

N
nymph21
Quick question. Has anybody attempted to float the keno stretch in a 1 man pontoon boat. Me and a buddy were thinking about we both have 9 foot pontoons. I know there is a couple treacherous spots from what I have heard about from a guide. But I have also heard from someone who has done the guided trip said we could go around all the rough stuff. Any input is greatly appreciated

C
Coastaldweller
There are a couple of really nasty spots. Take your time through the canyon, you will be rewarded. There are a lot of HUGE trout in there.

N
nymph21
So have u actually done it in a one man inflatable pontoon. I think it can be done. I have searched it the waters on Google earth. I just think the guide is trying to completely scare people off so he can be the only accessing some spots since he has the only licence to guide on.

E
eat, sleep, fish
nymph21 said:
So have u actually done it in a one man inflatable pontoon. I think it can be done. I have searched it the waters on Google earth. I just think the guide is trying to completely scare people off so he can be the only accessing some spots since he has the only licence to guide on.

I've never done it myself but am good friends with one of the guides that does an occasional trip for Roe Outfitters. He's said it's a pretty tough float, and he's done plenty of class 5 whitewater guiding. I don't know any of the specifics about the float though, other than there are lots of nice sized trout.

However, I do know that the outfitters have shut down their operation on that stretch due to the warm water this time of year, and won't be fishing it until the fall.

U
Umpqua
eat said:
However, I do know that the outfitters have shut down their operation on that stretch due to the warm water this time of year, and won't be fishing it until the fall.

They actually stop floating it because the Keno stretch is closed between June 15th and October 1st.

Nymph just do it and stop talking about it and let me know when and I will go. We can always walk around something nasty.

S
sportsmanlio
Yeah, it's closed until October. Most of us who fish down there are pretty devoted to the river, and if we get wind of people fishing out of season, we don't hesitate to call OSP.

If you're floating it, try putting in at the Keno Recreation area, administered by Pacific Power. The turn-off is about 3/4 mile past Keno Elementary on the north side of the road. It is open dawn to dusk, so be careful parking there if you won't be getting back until late at night.

Roe Outfitters does float it. I saw them there twice in the last few weeks of the season. Darren Roe is a nice guy, and I'm sure he'd talk to you about where to put in.

Good luck this fall!

M
Mad dog
Hey Josh,

If I would have known this was you, I would have said "Hell yes you can make it! No problems!!!" He,he,he.....Just let me get you one of those waterproof, helmet cam things....no....make that 2 helmet cams....better get one for Mckelvey!!! :D Probably get some bitchin' underwater footage!!! A 3rd camera filming from the bank would add some great additional perspective to the "Tragedy a comin' " ;)

Being I have done it.....you will need at least 1,200 cfs or your toon will be dragging in the rocks on at least half that stretch! It fishes good up to around 1,800....any bigger than that and you probably need to go see a pyschatrist! I watched Caleb do it in a Kayak and he came out of the last rapid upsidedown....but still smiling!!! :lol: