Float fishing setup

A
alseaalumaweld
gave away a good tip. theres a few points to. 1 never lose your bobber. 2 with a fixed float your bait gets down faster no bobber slideing up line. few other things

J
jordanshadow
the double bobber stops is a good idea!

A
alseaalumaweld
double bobber stops the only way to fish. same west coast floats for 5 years still going strong

G
Green_Tackle
Lot's of good advice already, but, here's how my float fishing rig is setup...

I like P-Line Hydrofloat for the mainline. It's bright yellow and it floats. I use the Blackbird 3-in-1 floats from Redwing Tackle because I can rig 'em up as slip floats or as fixed floats depending on how deep the river gets that I'll be fishing (90% of the time I go for the slip). I have about 4 sizes on hand. I use Bioline Biodegradable fishing line for a leader, 'cause that's how I roll. Sometimes if the chop is heavy or my float is otherwise riding too high I use Dr. Drop tungsten sinkers rather than split shot because they have a nice, low-profile (of course my opinion is biased in that regard). When I need even more weight than that, I'll use an inline swivel sinker in place of the barrel swivel.

I use a Shimano Symetre 2500 spinning real on 9.5 - 11' rod depending on how much bushwhacking I need to do (I use the smaller rod when bank fishing the Wilson River, larger rod on the bigger rivers like Lewis, Sandy, Cowlitz, etc.).

Reactions: Boombollie
A
alseaalumaweld
Shimano Symetre 2500 is all i can agree on

R
RunWithSasquatch
Symetre are good reels for the price!

A
alseaalumaweld
X 106 MLS lami 10' 6" 1/8-1/2 6-10. best float rod made

J
jordanshadow
of all the gear that i have selected my reel of choice i feel the most confident in. The Daiwa Capricorn is freaking awesome and IMO much better than the shimano equivalents. But thats just me!

As far as rod I cannot really imagine a really good reason to go beyond medium price for a float rod. There is no need for the sensitivity of the more expensive rods. The higher quality components are nice but don't seem necessary.

A
alseaalumaweld
shimano will last longer. but daiwa make nice over priced stuff

S
SantiamDrifter
jordanshadow said:
of all the gear that i have selected my reel of choice i feel the most confident in. The Daiwa Capricorn is freaking awesome and IMO much better than the shimano equivalents. But thats just me!

As far as rod I cannot really imagine a really good reason to go beyond medium price for a float rod. There is no need for the sensitivity of the more expensive rods. The higher quality components are nice but don't seem necessary.

Its not about need sensitivity while float fishing. Its about having the feel when fighting the fish. BIG difference between low end rods and higher in rods.

A
alseaalumaweld
SantiamDrifter said:
Its not about need sensitivity while float fishing. Its about having the feel when fighting the fish. BIG difference between low end rods and higher in rods.

BIG difference between low end rods and higher in rods!