Float fishing setup

J
jordanshadow
I will be jumping into the world of steelhead for the first time starting in January. One of the setups I want to use is a float fishing setup and had some questions.

The tentative setup:
1. Berkley Air im8 10'6" medium or medium lite rod
2. daiwa capricorn spinning real
3. Hi-Vis Braided Line and some type of leader.
4. Hooks 2-1/0 probably octopus style
5. Turbo Master Thill floats 1/16oz-3/8 oz.
6. Various Jigs, Bait etc...

Questions:
1. Does this setup look well thought out or is there something i should reconsider?
2. What is your though on braided line as mainline? What test? What leader material?
Tie leader directly to the braided line?
3. Will i need any larger floats than 3/8oz?

Jordan

R
RunWithSasquatch
Sounds good off hand. Are the turbo floats a slip float?

I'd recommend at-least 30lb braid.

Sounds good to me. Get inline weights go go with your bobbers, and that will be your junction from mainline to leader material.

And dont wait until January, unless you have to.

J
jordanshadow
The turbo floats are actually fixed floats, one of the main reasons to have a 10+ foot rod.

My intuition says 30lb braid seems really heavy for steelhead, why so hefty? (sounded more offensive then intended, i am just curious of the reason rather than questioning your logic :)

I really like the inline weights as well!

I am waiting till january because i havent bought my tags this year and figured i might as well get a full year out of em when i buy em.

Last edited:
S
SantiamDrifter
I would consider a slip bobber for pure ease of casting. Its not often I fish anything deeper then 8ft for steelies but having a 6-10 ft bobber swinging around can make for some tough casting. 30# braid floats a little bit better then a smaller diameter line and isn't as limp. You wont have to deal with tip wrap as much that way. I myself fish a 20#, but for a beginner, you might want to stick with 30#.

If you plan on using a Hi vis braid, I would tie in a 6-10 ft bumper of mono or flouro so the Hi vis braid wont spook any fish. Learn to tie a uni to uni knot. The largest float I use for high water steelies is 1oz, and the smallest float for low water would be 3/8oz.

J
jordanshadow
What test for the bumper would you use? 8-12#?

What specific floats do you use?

S
SantiamDrifter
West coast floats for high water, thrill wire floats for low water.

10# mono for high water, 10# flouro for low water.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Use slip bobbers/floats. In addition to what SantiamDrifter said, you'll be able to easily adjust the depth (without having to change leader). You'll be able to cover more water, and move from shallow runs to deep pools faster. The more time you're rig is in the water, the greater are your chances to blot some ink on your tags.

Oh...and for Winter run fish...I'd go with a medium action rod. Light, or medium light, would be better suited for summers.

Go get 'em!

A
alseaalumaweld
30 pound yellow power pro. West coast floats. 10 pound maxi leader

M
Mad dog
Slip floats for sure...fixed floats suck! I use anywhere from 1/4 to 1 oz floats, don't use any heavier float setup than is necessary for the conditions you are fishing....a 10" cutthroat can easily pull mine down!

A
alseaalumaweld
3/8s or 1/2 west coast for winter

J
jordanshadow
Are there any slip floats that can be quickly changed out if I move from an area of lower flow to higher?

The turbo master floats attach by two sleeves and can be switched out without changing any lines?

Thanks for the advice regarding the weight of the floats, i will up my sizes.

R
RunWithSasquatch
The reality is, you can cover a pretty large range of river level with a single float. And when it comes down to it, you can fish every level with a single float. The advantages of a slip float far out way the advantages of being able to exchange a float with rubber bands.

How many different types of floats will you run in one day? Rivers dont go from high and muddy, to summer low and mossy in one day.

Not to mention its a single knot that keeps you from changing that bobber. No NASCAR pit-stop needed for that exchange.

A
alseaalumaweld
3/8 west coast all winter. had the same floats for years. 2 bobber stops and you will never lose a float

R
RunWithSasquatch
alseaalumaweld said:
3/8 west coast all winter. had the same floats for years. 2 bobber stops and you will never lose a float

To me, besides the ability of floating. One of the main attractions of braid is that you rarely, if ever do lose your terminal gear. Every now and again you'll lose a float, but its usually because you made the cast of the year into the tree that "snuck" up on you, directly across the river.

A
alseaalumaweld
dont tell me braid dont break!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yeah... you're some kind of exception hahaha

A
alseaalumaweld
hells ya i am!

J
JeannaJigs
I think I'm the only one that likes fixed floats lol but I only like the thill orange and black ones that are weighted. They cast like a freakin dream. I have a 12' rod though, and rarely run a jig deeper than 6' on the rivers I fish.

A
alseaalumaweld
i runa fixed with 2 bobber stops at times. up alsea is hardly 6 foot deep :)

R
RunWithSasquatch
alseaalumaweld said:
i runa fixed with 2 bobber stops at times. up alsea is hardly 6 foot deep :)

Whats the point of fixing a slip bobber?