Flies with spinning equipment?

Troutski
Harmony ....

Harmony ....

To ensure harmony within the site I have moved this thread to the appropriate forum "Spin Fishing". I apologize for not moving it sooner, my bad.

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
lol

there's nothing wrong with using a bobber and fly, but this is the better spot to discuss it.

Raincatcher
Huh?

Huh?

Geez note the smiley! I was just playing because it was cracking me up that under the fly-fishing category it said flies with spinning equipment.

Whoa! Absolutely no criticism intended! I apologize if you took it that way. I really do enjoy reading about the crazy innovations people come up with to catch a fish. We have some amazingly inventive members on OFF.
Barb

H
Hawk
lol

there's nothing wrong with using a bobber and fly, but this is the better spot to discuss it.

whatever werks is Fair................................:lol::lol::lol:.......................

B
bauer buoy
I've seen people fly fishing with spinning rods n reels... How do you cast? Just let like 20 feet of line dangle from the tip and cast it as if it were a fly line? is it possible to cast flies without the bubbles?

I use that method all the time. Just set up like your setting up for drift fishing.
Your leader should be about 40 to 50 inches long tied on a 2 way swivel. the lead should be tied on the same eye with the main line. Just enough lead to skim the bottom to a light bounce. the fly should have very small bead on top of the fly. I do sometimes take a very small corky and press it on the top of the fly to let it float in the fishes nose. this method hooked me a lot of steelies and sometimes a salmon would go after it too. Black woollybuggers are best for me.
GOODLUCK!

S
salmo102
and why not tube flies?

and why not tube flies?

Have you heard about spinfly? That's the way i fish for salmon with tube flies when i am in sweden. The system is very simple it's a kind of paternoster rig. Push the mainline through the head of a swivel, then tye a swivel at the end of the main line. On the first swivel, tye a dropper about one foot long with a tube lead at the end, on the second swivel, tye a ten feet leader with your tube fly and your treeble hook. You keep in touch with the fly and can feel the lightist bite. You can set the hook directly. In the rocky rivers we use a bouncing betty instead of the lead.
Daniel

Raincatcher
Long ago memories from far away

Long ago memories from far away

salmo102;
Your system sounds like something that my mother taught me eons ago. I had not thought of it in almost as long. I may be very rusty,but plan to try it next time out on the water. Since I won't be going out for a few days I think it would be good to try a few ahead of time. Thanks for the reminder and good luck to you over there.
Barb

S
salmo102
and why not other floating lures

and why not other floating lures

This is not spinflying anymore, but... We use the same rig with floating rapalas, spinner with wooden boby and unleaded devon minnows. Some people use the same rig for worming and shrimping. It allows the lure to swim freely just above the bottom without snaging. we shorten the leader about 3 feet long.
Hope this will be helpfull for your rocky rivers. And sorry for the head of the swivel; i just remember you call it the eye...
Daniel.

J
Jiggalot
I've seen people fly fishing with spinning rods n reels... How do you cast? Just let like 20 feet of line dangle from the tip and cast it as if it were a fly line? is it possible to cast flies without the bubbles?
As any good driftfisherman you can try many variations on the end of your line, for your drifting rig and flies can very well be one of them...fly gear certain limitations though.

Troutski
Fly angling...

Fly angling...

Just keep in mind if you are in a fly angling area only, this means one must use a fly rod, fly reel and fly line. This means a bobber and fly will not be within the limits of the existing law and you could be cited by OSP. This method of angling "spinning gear and a fly" is only allowed in areas that allow it, so make sure you check the regs before you cast.

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
Spinner gear and a fly is considered "Lure" fishing

troutdude
I learned a secret from an expert fly fisherman many years ago...always carry BB-size splitshot weights with you (at least when using a "bubble" or "torpedo" bobber and a fly). After you've rigged up with your terminal equipment (bobber/swivel/fly, etc)...crimp a BB size splitshot just slightly past the halfway point on your leader. (Halfway from your swivel, down the leader and towards your fly). Ever since doing that, I have not had one single fly wrap around the leader nor the main line!

Y
yakker2
I was wondering when in the season this method works best for trout? can you troll with the bubble on? does this also work for panfish-maybe poppers instead of flies?

troutdude
try it now...and all season

try it now...and all season

I was wondering when in the season this method works best for trout? can you troll with the bubble on? does this also work for panfish-maybe poppers instead of flies?

Howdy yak,

I have used this spinning / fly technique MANY times in the spring and summer for trout in lakes/reservoirs and it is a DEADLY technique. I am sure that I don't exaggerate by saying 100's of fish scored doing this.

I've not yet tried it this early in the season, nor in the fall. But, I plan to go out to EE Wilson on Monday and give it a go. In fact, I just bought a bunch of new woolly buggers last night at the former Sportsman's Warehouse.

I have used primarily green (olive) and black ones with great success. But, brown has worked too. Usually size 8 or 10. This season I'm also going to try a green/black combo one as well as a purple one. I caught trout in Emigrant Lake (Pendleton) once on PURPLE power bait...when the trout would hit NOTHING else. So, gonna try a purple bugger and see what happens.

Yes, draggin the fly ULTRA slow from a boat (I use a tube) works best. Casting and retrieving might work, but likely not as well.

This might work for other species too. I don't know though, as I have only been chasing trout.

Good luck.

Y
yakker2
sorry I'm not clear on the trolling-say with an electric motor, would you use a bubble or not.thanks for the tips,I want to try stuff other than fenders and worms.what about leeches or grubs and jigs?

troutdude
sorry I'm not clear on the trolling-say with an electric motor, would you use a bubble or not.thanks for the tips,I want to try stuff other than fenders and worms.what about leeches or grubs and jigs?

Using ANY "fly" rig, generally demands the SLOWEST possible retrieve. Think about how slowly a live bug moves in the water...IF they even move at all! Now, your getting the idea. You MUST go ULTRA slow. So, using a trolling motor and boat would work...but only if you have a plate or bucket to to into water to SLOW you WAY down to a crawl. Think about how slow a float tube fisherman goes...that's the speed that you want to imitate. 10-4?

Yes, black and / or green leech patterns work quite well too...as good sometimes as woolly buggers.

Do not know about grubs and jigs. Haven't tried that.

Good luck.

Y
yakker2
:clap: I think I get now.

troutdude
Very nice article. Short n' sweet, and very descriptive. I've not tried a double rig with a dropper knot. I'll have to do that.

And, I've got a variation you can add if you wish.

I add a BB size split shot between a wet fly or streamer, and a bobber/float. I put the shot onto the line, just a bit more than 1/2 way towards the fly (so it's a bit closer to the fly than to the float). It serves two purposes: it drops the wet fly or streamer down a bit; plus it keeps the line from wrapping around itself while casting. ?

I use this rig on Willamette Valley and Coastal Lakes all the time and with great success. I use Woolly Buggers and Leaches. Mostly Olive Green, Black, or Brown. This rig has caught a LOT of fish!

And, I've got a purple bugger, shot & float rigged up right now, for an outing tomorrow morning. It's a first attempt with purple. Will be using it on a canal and small lake/pond for trout and steelies, at o'dark thirty tomorrow!

Welcome to OFF, and thanks for the article.

TD

Last edited:
S
Silentwarrior79
I know someone who does this. He does fairly well with the idea. I would just rather stick to spinners though

troutdude
If you have a tube or toon, I highly recommend the bubble/fly method that I described above. I have scored literally hundreds of trout w/ that technique. It is a BLAST!

One more thing. Think S-L-O-W.

Then slow down more.