Fixed float questions

B
bigboy70
So on a fixed float how does the rig go I matched my jig weight to fixed drift float do I need to add anymore weight or is my jig the weight I'm confused tired and frustrated please help

jhop111
jhop111
Bigboy70, a lot of folks on this site are very very outgoing and everyone is full of good information. Your posting a lot of questions that you yourself can answer using a simple search on this site. The search options are limitless and you can go back and re read other peoples threads, many of whom come onto the site and ask the same questions you are. Also, get a copy of the regulations from almost any sporting goods store. If your asking "whats open for wild trout". You need to read the regulations yourself, because that is a very open ended question and varies from river to river. Also please keep in mind that nobody on this site wants to give away every bit of information they have worked hard to learn over many years. You yourself know that a lot and I mean a lot of people fish these days. Asking for secrets, honey-holes etc is not cool. Sorry for not keeping your thread intact. If your going out fishing for say salmon or steelhead and you know your going to be bobber fishing, or drift fishing PM me and I will be happy to explain the details as best as I can to get you started OFF on the right foot. Hmm, oh and if you like reading about fishing, like I do on the days when I am stuck at home, pick up some of the very helpful books at bi mart. Amato publishing has a ton of helpful books to satisfy your needs.

Reactions: troutmasta
B
bigboy70
I'm not asking for it who ever wants to respond has that choice and yes I know I an a repeat questioner but the only reason this thread popped up was because I search ed and searched and didn't find what I was looking for and I look ally of it is going out and figuring it out thats how I got into but a little guidance goes along way and it very much appreciated lastly I was getting frustrated cause I was super tried and was just fed up so I took the easy way I'm all for learn what works for you on ur on and hitting the water a little success can get more anglers out there and yes i have a regulation book but thanks for your opinion what i love about this forum everyone speaks it

C_Run
C_Run
The float should stand up vertical and not lay over sideways. Use a weight that's the same as what the float is rated. Why fixed and not sliding? The diagram on the back of the Northwest float package is a great starting point.

B
bigboy70
Was a ssuggestion from a friend fixed drift bobber with Marabou jig got The misses set with a 3oz slider for eggs

Last edited:
jhop111
jhop111
I am confused now too lol. Ok the long skinny floats with the thin end that points down to the water are fixed floats. They are fixed to your line via two or three small rubber bands or o rings. You can manually adjust the float depth but the whole set up remains constant when you cast. These are my favorite for low small stream winters. The problem with them is if you want to fish water thats 10 feet deep you will have trouble casting a 9.7 foot long bobber and jig. Sliders use bobber stops which are much easier to cast as the jigs weight pulls the line down until it hits the bobber stop. To rig the fixed look at the diagram in the plastic wrapping inside the float package. Run the line through the o rings then slip the o rings over the top and bottom of the float. Adjust your depth and fish.

B
bigboy70
ok here how i rigged up and i guess my questions is should there by a swivel and if so where and weight where i got floats the jigs told me to but heres a picture was running around an 18" leader drove me nuts could only cast maybe 20 feet

IMG_0038_zpsfa45d8b1.jpg

jhop111
jhop111
Thats a personal preference. When I float fish I use very light jigs and bobbers. If I run say 6lb test fluorocarbon leaders I will use a micro swivel. I use a 11ft rod to cast light gear and fight fish on light line. If your using a 7 or 8 ft rod with 15 or 20lb test your not going to cast far with a jig and float. Try a beau mac casting float for hucking jigs. Next time your in bimart look at the books on steelhead and salmon fishing. I keep them for references and to try new things. 30 minutes of pictures and explanations will do more for you than me or most on this forum shy of physically showing you how to rig for every scenario and what to use when and why. Plus you won't have to be scratching your head in frustration at 2am.:thumb:

B
bigboy70
beau macs casting float are though the clear egg shaped ones you can fill with water? cause i have a few of those and yes i run a 20lb high vis braid with a 17lb mono bumper (15-20ft) and run 17 mono for leader

jhop111
jhop111
No a beau mac casting float is wood and has a peg to use on your mainline. They are heavy so you can cast em far.

B
bigboy70
see thats something that belongs in the thread i started called wise mens corner didn't think of the name dont want to P***O** the ladies lol awesome idea and great little tip i search them and can't find them but now since you describe them im sure i can find them at fishermens

B
Bgunder
Run nanofil in 12lb as a mainline and your casting problem will be solved, I run a 6 gram drennon which is close to an 1/8th of an ounce so I mainly use a 1/8th ounce jig and can cast as far I need for most situations.I also have only been using a 8'6 medium Berkley air IM8 which isn't as whippy as an ideal bobber rod. This setup is strictly for steelhead though and is just to give you a idea of how light you can go without a inline sinker.

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
OKAY. So I run fixed floats exclusively for steelhead jigging because i'm not fishing anything big enough to require massive depth, and with a fixed float your offering gets in the zone much quicker. I use the thill orange and black fixed floats that come pre-weighted. You can pick these up at bi-mart and cabelas has 4 packs of them for a decent deal. They have a litle rubber tubing at the bottom and a little weight around the bottom. These are AMAZING for casting, you can chuck them a good distance. I use the bigger size with a 1/4 oz jig and add a couple split shot accordingly until it's sitting dirty. I don't like a lot of float sitting high in the water, so I overweight mine. Personal preference. You will want extra surgical tubing to hold the top of the float in place, why they don't include this i don't know. Slide the tubing on your mainline, both pieces. Then tie that mainline to a barrel swivel. Tie a mono leader from that swivel to your jig. I place my shot about 18" above my jig. you wrap your mainline around the groove in the float and then secure it with the rubber tubing, and then secure the top of the float with the other piece of tubing. I would post pictures but I'm at work.

D
DrTheopolis
Bgunder said:
I run a 6 gram drennon which is close to an 1/8th of an ounce

Your metric conversion chart is much different from mine.

B
bigboy70
JeannaJigs said:
OKAY. So I run fixed floats exclusively for steelhead jigging because i'm not fishing anything big enough to require massive depth, and with a fixed float your offering gets in the zone much quicker. I use the thill orange and black fixed floats that come pre-weighted. You can pick these up at bi-mart and cabelas has 4 packs of them for a decent deal. They have a litle rubber tubing at the bottom and a little weight around the bottom. These are AMAZING for casting, you can chuck them a good distance. I use the bigger size with a 1/4 oz jig and add a couple split shot accordingly until it's sitting dirty. I don't like a lot of float sitting high in the water, so I overweight mine. Personal preference. You will want extra surgical tubing to hold the top of the float in place, why they don't include this i don't know. Slide the tubing on your mainline, both pieces. Then tie that mainline to a barrel swivel. Tie a mono leader from that swivel to your jig. I place my shot about 18" above my jig. you wrap your mainline around the groove in the float and then secure it with the rubber tubing, and then secure the top of the float with the other piece of tubing. I would post pictures but I'm at work.

i can wait pictures would be awesome and how big of line do you run

Last edited:
NWDiscer
NWDiscer
DrTheopolis said:
Your metric conversion chart is much different from mine.

I was thinking that also, although it could be a bonus in certain situations....
:peace: