Fishing at Walling pond and Walter lake.

G
Gomez24
Question, has anyone gone fishing to either these locations?
Recently started fishing again and was out on Walter lake on during these last couple hot days, saw ppl catching ok size trout, but just trying to see whats been working for ppl out here.

Thanks.

18406ej
18406ej
Walter Wirth is a pleasant enough spot and is well stocked until the Summer months. The pond is fairly shallow and warms up very fast. There is also usually a good number of people there (the regulars) so finding a spot can sometimes be hard.

If you like sitting in the middle of an industrial park with the sound of equipment running constantly in the background then Walling Pond is the place for you. The pond is stocked well and they often throw brooders in there but it is certainly not a pastoral location.

G
Gomez24
1840ej - Seems like the best spot to be at then is right in the middle of the lake with a boat, tho ppl from the side do catch ok size fish, just gotta get there early,
and correct me if im wrong but is walling pond on private property? Never have been there but a few ppl at walter lake told me they stock and have good size larger fish?

troutdude
troutdude
Gomez24 said:
1840ej - Seems like the best spot to be at then is right in the middle of the lake with a boat, tho ppl from the side do catch ok size fish, just gotta get there early,
and correct me if im wrong but is walling pond on private property? Never have been there but a few ppl at walter lake told me they stock and have good size larger fish?

Maybe some of Walling is private; but it is stocked by ODFW and has public access. Walter Wirth is right next to the Freeway. And some of the peeps that go there are a bit "unsavory".

L
Lightovercomes
I fish at Walling Pond regularly and hook up nearly every time I go. Some days the trout like small salad shrimps and some days they like chartreuse power bait or power balls.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I have heard from a "reliable source" that if you venture over toward the gravel pit you will find some large bass at Walling Pond. Just be careful of how far you tread, it is private at some point. I don't care for Walling due to some very sketchy folks and the less than relaxing environment. I like Walter Wirth only if I get there before the crowd shows up. I would rather go south 10 miles on I-5 to the rest area and fish the Santiam. I gotten steelhead, trout and bass out of there.

U
Unlucky Fisherman
Raincatcher: Is the Santiam artificial only or can you use live baits there as well?

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher can't get on here very much, at the moment.

Generally, "live" bait is NOT allowed in any Oregon water. It depends on what you mean by "live bait". I'd suggest that you get a copy of the Oregon regulations; or look them up online (on ODFW's site). And/or call ODFW directly, and ask them your questions.

Having said that: Dead bait is allowed in all of the Santiam system, EXCEPT for the LNF (Little North Fork). That trib's reg's are artificial flies and lures ONLY. No bait at all. And plastic/rubber/imitation baits are also NOT allowed.

Hope this helps.