Fishing at Detrioit Lake help

S
Smokey McFisher
I have not fished at Detroit Lake (or fished for that fact) for almost 3 years. I used to go there a lot some years ago, and remember having a depth chart of the lake back then; on which it said you could catch channel cats there in the back flats of the rez. Has anyone had any luck with this or know off what bait to use for them? I have tried hot dogs and chicken liver in the past, only problem is keeping it on the hook. Any help would be great, thanks.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I haven't tried it myself, but my son used to use netting and that elastic thread to keep larger bait on the hook. Next time I talk to him I'll ask for more information and get back to you.

P
pinstriper
Smokey McFisher said:
I have not fished at Detroit Lake (or fished for that fact) for almost 3 years. I used to go there a lot some years ago, and remember having a depth chart of the lake back then; on which it said you could catch channel cats there in the back flats of the rez. Has anyone had any luck with this or know off what bait to use for them? I have tried hot dogs and chicken liver in the past, only problem is keeping it on the hook. Any help would be great, thanks.

Those flats are 20' above the water level now.

Between the campground and the island, the bank fishing takes you all the way down to where the deep channel starts. You can walk from town out to the island and fish off the bank from those flats.

One neat (I almost said good/nice) thing about the water being so low is that you have a great opportunity to see what the ground really does and remember it for the future when the water levels are up. So if nothing else it is good scouting.

And you are bank fishing close to a deep drop off which helps.

hobster
hobster
pinstriper said:
One neat (I almost said good/nice) thing about the water being so low is that you have a great opportunity to see what the ground really does and remember it for the future when the water levels are up. So if nothing else it is good scouting.

Exactley, same with the rivers. This is the only positive i have found from this non existant snow pack year. It also makes for some easy gear collecting, i've found quite a few spinners this year wading in the rivers.

P
pinstriper
hobster said:
Exactley, same with the rivers. This is the only positive i have found from this non existant snow pack year. It also makes for some easy gear collecting, i've found quite a few spinners this year wading in the rivers.

Being from New Jersey originally, I couldn't help my self as I was walking down the dessicated flats, looking for skeletons of missing persons, thrown away murder weapons, bank bags... "Leave the gun, take the cannoli's"