Fishin in Corvallis

M
muskieguide
Hey all. We are movin to Corvallis in a couple weeks and I am lookin for fishin buddies and fishin holes. I have been a guide for over 10 years and know how to catch em and am always wantin to learn somethin new and share my knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Admin
Admin
Welcome to the OFF, and welcome to Corvallis :D Alsea is good for winter steelhead, but doesn't have summers :( Santiam is about 30 mnts from Corvallis. You can take me with you if you need a fishing buddy, because I need someone to teach me what to do to turn fishing into catching :lol:

T
the_intimidator03
welcome to the board, anatoliy you seem to be catching fish... just not what you want LOL sorry for the lack of input for the corvallis area i am not too familiar with it all

troutdude
troutdude
There is decent trout fishing, at Olalla Resevoir near Toledo (just inland from the coast & Newport). It is also sometimes stocked w/ surplus steelhead. It is an hour from Corvallis. There is also good trout and kokanee fishing at Green Peter Reservior, 1 hour to the east (just Sweet Home and Foster Reservoir).

D
DontTaxMeBro
Hey Muskie,

Welcome to OFF and to Oregon. I lived up in Olympia for 20 years...move down here about 5 years ago. Used to catch a few Koke's at Riffe too. I fish quite a bit around Corvallis/Albany...I would like to hook up with ya sometime.
Fishing close to Corvallis would include:
1. Olalla Res. (towards Newport)
2. Green Peter (lots of kokes)
3. Foster, Detroit, Clear (good trout lakes)
4. a few rivers close by as well.

Send me a note if you want to talk.

David

M
Metz84
FreeWay Lakes off of 3 Lake Rd SE of Albany with pleny of bank access. Their are good size bass, as well as rainbow trout and catfish. You can have trolling motors in these 3 lakes. Then there is E.E. Wilson which is North of Corvallis off 99W on Camp Adair Rd which has nice rainbow trout. This has great bank access and non motorized boat allowed.

troutdude
troutdude
There is a 1/2 mile hike into EE Wilson. So, you may want to pack a boat that far. But, it is a good spot for tubing or tooning.

G
GTownFan
Need help too.

Need help too.

Dear all,

I'd like you to do me a favor.

My father-in-law is visiting us from abroad. He is a pretty skilled fisherman in his home country and really fishing is his only hobby. I am not anything close to being an outdoor person. So I have almost no knowledge about fishing in the Corvallis area, where we now reside. I followed the guidance of this website, and have suggested EE Wilson's Pond and Williamette River to him. But he has had no success whatsoever. This has become a problem lately. He does not seem to be happy and I really would like to make his visit a bit more pleasant (He does not speak English). I am wondering if you could please let me know where in the close proximity of Corvallis we could find some reasonably good fishing spots. I understand that the exact spots might be some sort of secret. I am not hoping to get that. But a combination of bond/lure would be very very helpful.

Thank you. Any help will be highly appreciated!

Regards,
Frank

Admin
Admin
What language does your father-in-law speak? I live in Corvallis so I could take him with me fishing. Nothing fancy, the same E.E.Wilson or Williamette River, but may be he'll catch some fish when I'm around ;)

troutdude
troutdude
There is also the Long Tom river, if cutthroat trout, bass, carp or crappie are what you might enjoy. About 20 - 30 minutes south to the "good spots".

If he has a float tube or pontoon boat...there's the Kiger Island slough (part of the Willamette) for bass, panfish, and I'd think catfish too. Plus, it's right on the south side of Corvallis, so hardly no commute at all.

Plus, there is the Mary's river for 'bows, 'cutts, and cats. NOTE: a 50 lb. cat was caught a few years ago where the Mary's flows into the Willy in Corvallis.

And the Little Luckiamute, isn't too far away, for 'bows.

M
muskieguide
Are there good numbers of cats in the area? Thanks for the info too. We are movin down in a couple days and I'm lookin foward to fishin hard next week. I also specialize in Carp and might have a couple tricks that may help you catch more of em. If any of you guys want to fish next week, let me know. I'll be ready

M
Metz84
muskieguide said:
Are there good numbers of cats in the area? Thanks for the info too. We are movin down in a couple days and I'm lookin foward to fishin hard next week. I also specialize in Carp and might have a couple tricks that may help you catch more of em. If any of you guys want to fish next week, let me know. I'll be ready

I know the Willamette River has a good amount of carp, never caught a catfish out of it but its possible. Ive caught a number of nice cats out of Freeway Lakes on bottom with a nightcrawler.

G
GTownFan
Anatoliy said:
What language does your father-in-law speak? I live in Corvallis so I could take him with me fishing. Nothing fancy, the same E.E.Wilson or Williamette River, but may be he'll catch some fish when I'm around ;)

Hi,

This is very nice of you for offering this. He speaks Chinese... I haven't been able to find a Chinese-speaking fishing partner for him yet. :)

Frank

troutdude
troutdude
You might try contacting OSU. Maybe there is a Chinese speaking grad student or prof, that can go w/ him.

D
DontTaxMeBro
If you want to catch a bunch of Trout...easily, go out to Thissle Pond, just West of Alsea, on hwy 34. Went there on June 26 and we caguht dozens of 6-15" trout in a couple of hours. Power Bait off the bottom...very simple and fun.

Hope this helps,
David

Thank you. Any help will be highly appreciated!

N
nyersa
Hey, could you post a google map link to Thissle Pond? I drive 34 often but I don't remember seeing it.

troutdude
troutdude
It is spelled Thissel, in the stocking report. My niece has fished it a bunch and had fun.

Traveling west on Hwy. 34, go past Digger Creek & Little Digger Mountain road. Go over the Lincoln County line (still on 34). Turn right (north) "off" of Hwy. 34 and onto Rd. 714 (also "NF-62"...it's Forest Service road number).

Then go a short distance past the Salmon Fish Hatchery Road fork--and stay on Rd. 714 / NF62. It's on the right and next to the road (on 714/NF62). You can't miss it. If you get to the hatchery...you've gone too far!

(I tried sending a mapquest link, but it didn't work right)

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
If it is it looks like it gets weeded over in the summer if you look at satelite view.