Fish finder- looking for real life reviews on inexpensive models

1 nut in the water
Looking to buy a basic model to install on my 12' tin boat.
I don't want all the fancy crap only need the bare minimum but most importantly the ability to accurately mark fish.
Any help greatly appreciated...........

V
veilside180sx
What are the typical places you fish, and what budget?

T
troutmasta
U can pay me and I'll point to the fish...

1 nut in the water
Well from what i have seen it looks like I can get something for around $200 so if I can can get it around that I would be happy- dont need a $3000 model that can also cook dinner....
I fish all over western and central oregon lakes.

Aervax
Aervax
I had a $700 Lowrance fish finder on my bass boat and a $150 561 on my canoe. I actually like the simple Hummninbird better. Less complicated, fewer screens to cycle through, harder to get lost and waste time in the menu options. All I really want are the basics, temp, depth and marking fish all in black and white. The Humminbird does all that well for a lot
less dough. My old Lowrance sits on my desk unused these days. If you can find wiring to connect it to power and the right transducer I would sell it for $40. It sounds too good to be true, but the $700 price tag
was 10 years ago. You can get all those functions for 2-300 now. If you don't like it I would even take it back and return the 40.

1 nut in the water
Aervax said:
I had a $700 Lowrance fish finder on my bass boat and a $150 561 on my canoe. I actually like the simple Hummninbird better. Less complicated, fewer screens to cycle through, harder to get lost and waste time in the menu options. All I really want are the basics, temp, depth and marking fish all in black and white. The Humminbird does all that well for a lot
less dough. My old Lowrance sits on my desk unused these days. If you can find wiring to connect it to power and the right transducer I would sell it for $40. It sounds too good to be true, but the $700 price tag
was 10 years ago. You can get all those functions for 2-300 now. If you don't like it I would even take it back and return the 40.

Thanks for the offer but rather than try and figure out a used unit and struggle with that I am going to buy new and struggle still!! I am hoping some folks out there that have purchased the basic models will chime in with their experiences so that I may not end up with a lemon.......

V
veilside180sx
Which model Lowrance Aervax?

For stillwaters and light current...I use a Lowrance Mark 5 DSI and am pretty impressed with it for being a lower end unit.

On the big boat for saltwater I have a Garmin 4210/GSD24/B260 and a Garmin 740S/P66, which are both much higher dollar units.

Online West Marine has an ad for the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI (color version of the Mark 5 plus GPS) for 299.99, which is a significant discount...it's only for tomorrow though. That's a good buy for the money.

The color and resolution of the Elite will help a great deal at target seperation and the down scan imaging helps with identifying structure.

P
prhea1st
Always get the biggest screen you can afford to buy, no matter what model. I have been through dozens of finders and larger screens and higher resolution always win in the end.

H
hvacr1
what species of fish are you going to be targeting primarily

1 nut in the water
trout and I would like to try some koke fishing

C
Combat Chuck
Im very happy with my Humminbird 570 Dual Beam. I think the dual makes a huge difference for lake fishing and trolling. When the koke bite is on, I can call out which downrigger is going to get hit by seeing what levels the fish are at. It marks my downriggers, the fish directly under the boat on the single beam and which are on the wide beam. I tried a Lowrance just before this one and it was one the few items I have ever returned because I wasn't satisfied. I took it up too Green Peter and located very few fish. I believe I paid around 170 for the Humminbird. I would also look into the Garmin dual beams as they have had very good reviews.

Troutski
Troutski
Humminbird...

Humminbird...

1 nut in the water said:
Looking to buy a basic model to install on my 12' tin boat.
I don't want all the fancy crap only need the bare minimum but most importantly the ability to accurately mark fish.
Any help greatly appreciated...........

I am in the market for a new unit myself. I just spent the last hour and a half at at the Cabelas in Springfield and got to go hands on for as long as I wanted. Seems like sonars are a lot like automobiles, the more options you say yes to the more the unit cost. I currently have Humminbird 3D/GPS set up in the back of the boat and a basic model Lowrance set up in the front of the boat for the passengers use. The odd thing is they are about the same age and the sonar part of the main unit has given up the ghost. The Lowrance is still "Humming" (sorry) right along just like the day it was installed.
After shopping and comparing prices on full service and basic units. For my money I am leaning towards the middle of the road, like Power door locks and key-less entry; maybe A/C but that is as much as I am willing to spend.
Model I am leaning towards is the Humminbird... the mounting system is the best on the market - easy on and off and very tough units. Price for the unit is about $279.00 color HD screen.. No GPS I am going old school on that "memory" and saving a ton.
Any way that is my 75 cents worth... Best of luck finding what you need...

Chuck