First day back

O
OnTheDrop
Out on the water since before 12/10/12. Which is a lifetime for me. Back surgery put me out of the game for a little. I wasn't planning on hitting it too hard today, just a few hours in the afternoon with no serious hiking or anything. Pitching jigs was the game for me today. 1/16-1/32 seemed to be perfect for the conditions.

Got to the river by about 11 this morning and realized I forgot my rain jacket...And of course it was raining...Classic mistake. Stop at a hole or two and fish for near 45 minutes. Stopped at spot number 2 and by this time I'm sopping wet and cold as hell. Two casts in with my bobber cross river I get a hook up. I was literally in motion of grabbing my cam as soon as I casted. Look up and bobber down... Kinda bummed that I missed the bobber set on video. After a decent battle and some acrobatic jumps I get the 6lb hen to the bank and bonk 'er. In the same hole the very next cast with a 1/32 nightmare my bobber goes down...This time my cam is strapped to my head but no video running as I find out later.. :think: I guess it just wasn't meant to be today... I go on to lose this fish after a lengthy battle due to me not being able to maneuver around the banks unlike my usual self. He was HOT..Which is weird considering my usual jig fish aren't as feisty as say a spoon or spinner fish or even drift fishing.. In my opinion anyways. Another thing, this is one of the veryyy few steels I have lost on a jig. After I lose him I wasn't too bummed considering I knew I had it all on film. Oh wait, nevermind......I try for number 3 in that hole for another 10 minutes and couldn't make it happen..I was planning on stopping at one more hole before heading home but the only car I saw for miles happened to be there..oh well, not a bad first few hours of 2013 for me...Hope everyone elses lines are staying tight. :cool:

• P1000512.jpg
T
Tacomasteelheader
your from oregon we brave the elements for fish ! ! Is this on the siuslaw ?

C
cddunn
That's a hell of a welcome back!

F
Fish-N-Chips
Brrrrr sounds cold w/out a rain coat!! I have done that more times than I care to admit (especially when the weather guy says its not going to rain)!!! Nice job on the fish! So did the other one break the jig OFF or spit it?

B
billfisher
Nice way to end a recovery!

O
OnTheDrop
Fish-N-Chips said:
Brrrrr sounds cold w/out a rain coat!! I have done that more times than I care to admit (especially when the weather guy says its not going to rain)!!! Nice job on the fish! So did the other one break the jig OFF or spit it?

It just popped off back at me... It was a size 4 hook. Must have just barely had him under the nose...

P
plumb2fish
Looks like there were fish down there....imagine that....good job on the hook-ups

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
plumb2fish said:
Looks like there were fish down there....imagine that....good job on the hook-ups

Thanks Plumb. Yup, very shocking...:lol:

jamisonace
jamisonace
That's great! Nice job. I'm hoping for some time on Friday to get over here for a short float.

O
OnTheDrop
jamisonace said:
That's great! Nice job. I'm hoping for some time on Friday to get over here for a short float.

Let me know if ya need some company :lol:

P
plumb2fish
SK20, If the river cooperates I will be down floating somewhere on the Slaw on Sunday...gonna take one of the new forum members and try to get him into a fish. Send me a pm with contact info and if it works out you can tag along...

T
Throbbit _Shane
plumb2fish said:
SK20, If the river cooperates I will be down floating somewhere on the Slaw on Sunday...gonna take one of the new forum members and try to get him into a fish. Send me a pm with contact info and if it works out you can tag along...

If you and SK20 are floating together you're bound to get the new member into a fish! Tight Lines fellas!

C_Run
C_Run
Glad you could make such a quick recovery. Follow your doctor's orders, though. It's no fun babying your back when you get older (spoken as one who knows).

jamisonace
jamisonace
As it stands right now my last appt tomorrow should end around noon. If I don't set anything else up we could go by 12:30 or 1. I'll keep in touch.
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Let me know if ya need some company :lol:

D
dtikey
nice fish SK20 and great story to go along with it.Done the wet no rain coat before and yup it sure sucks

O
OnTheDrop
Thanks guys.

M
mccarrel
Good way to get back out there. Congrats on the recovery and the fish.

N
NateLindq
That sounds like quite the day on the river. I'm brand new to this whole fishing thing and have yet to get even a nibble...Is it common to have so much success on a single day out this time of year?

T
Thuggin4Life
Looks like a good welcome back fishing trip. Nice fish!