First carp on the fly rod (5wt)

V
vanbrunt
Went out a few weeks back on the first warm weekend in April to Sauvie island. Saw TONS of fish spawning and managed to catch one.

If you look closely you can see a beetle inside this guy's mouth. It ended up crawling out just after the pic was taken.

Took the fish while "jigging" a fly in the weeds about 4 feet in front of me. The fish turned his attention from the bottom up to my fly and sucked it in. It was fun to have it strip line starting from my feet. :D

J
john montana
Congrats! Nice fish!

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice!!! i need to get a carp on a fly... havent really seen any opportunities in my area really i need to get out that way!!!

bass
bass
Way to go, I bet that was a blast on a 5wt.

V
vanbrunt
Yeah the 5 wt was fine for this fish but i would have been hurting if any of the bruisers we saw milling around would have taken it. I quickly went out and purchased a 7/8wt so I can hopefully land some 12+ lbers like john montana :D

J
john montana
Glad you went a little bigger on the rod. Sauvies has a LOT of smaller carp, but you will meet some bigger guys as well. A 7 wt is simply never too much rod for carp in my opinion.

You are in trouble now though. Once you catch the carp bug it goes downhill in a hurry!

V
vanbrunt
john montana said:
Glad you went a little bigger on the rod. Sauvies has a LOT of smaller carp, but you will meet some bigger guys as well. A 7 wt is simply never too much rod for carp in my opinion.

You are in trouble now though. Once you catch the carp bug it goes downhill in a hurry!

Yeah I'm pretty hooked. Looking forward to catching one on some flies I tied.