First bass of 2015

PK Yi
PK Yi
ok, nothing to write home about really. but it's a bass nonetheless. about a pounder.

caught him at cottage grove lake while trolling a z-ray for trout.

beautiful day on the water, just no action. water was turbid. visibility a little poor. a friend caught the trout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Dang that looks like a spot. They got those in there?

S
sapo
Interesting looking trout, really bright, haven't seen any stockers like that before. Just looks different to me.

PK Yi
PK Yi
didn't know either. it was my first time at cottage grove lake. we caught him in 20ft of water. just a nice looking fish.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that is a real tough one, over here at the coast I would say that was a searun cutthroat all day long, that is exactly what they look like in Siltcoos in the fall, these for example were caught in early October.

Last edited by a moderator:
P
playhooky
sapo said:
Interesting looking trout, really bright, haven't seen any stockers like that before. Just looks different to me.

Looks like a bright little Kokanee.....hard to get a good look at the anal fin in the pic but the anal fin on a Koke is a little larger than a trout and this fish also has those distinguishing black spots on its upper sides as on a Koke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
playhooky said:
Looks like a bright little Kokanee.....hard to get a good look at the anal fin in the pic but the anal fin on a Koke is a little larger than a trout and this fish also has those distinguishing black spots on its upper sides as on a Koke.

I would have said kokanee but there are too many spots and I see them on the lower part of the tail, kokanee are in the "no distinct spots on back and tail" group of salmon. plus the tail should have more of a forked shape...

how about a small chinook that got planted with the rainbows by accident?

N
Native Fisher
playhooky said:

Kokes have a much more defined fork in the tail. The overly large eye, slight fork in tail, and coloration say it is a kamloops rainbow typical stocked trout in local lakes...probably a hold over.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
That is not a trout. I don't know what it is, but I am 90% it ain't a trout, lol. Eye is too big, too far forward, markings are wrong, tail too deeply forked.

I agree not a sockeye. So not a rainbow, not a koke. lol

I still think that is a spotted bass.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
rogerdodger said:
how about a small chinook that got planted with the rainbows by accident?

This gets my vote.

W
wils
How'd it taste?

PK Yi
PK Yi
we release the kokebow. his mouth was a little torn but he darted away quickly. (there's a mercury warning on the boat ramp?)

bass
bass
Shaun Solomon said:
That is not a trout. I don't know what it is, but I am 90% it ain't a trout, lol. Eye is too big, too far forward, markings are wrong, tail too deeply forked.

I agree not a sockeye. So not a rainbow, not a koke. lol

I still think that is a spotted bass.

I agree that it definitely looks like a spotted bass. Used to catch them occasionally in Allegheny river in PA. A good check next time is to feel the tongue. Spots have a rough tongue, large and smallmouth have a smooth tongue. Also the spots dorsal fin does not end between the front and back half, a largemouth's does. The dorsal on your picture looks like it does go all the way down (does not look like two distanct fins).