Fern Ridge?

D
Drice
So from the grape vine I have been hearing for years that this is a great bass lake. First question, where to start? I heard that the channel just past fisher butte is good bass home? Can anyone confirm this for me, I would like to pontoon it. Second question, has no one fished this recently? There haven't been any reports on the forum since the 7th of April, has it picked up yet, is it worth going out there? Are the fish biting there yet? Have they warmed up enough?

So many questions maybe I should just suck it up and go explorin'
I am really interested in this place from past stories I have heard.Inquiring minds would like to know and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: FishSlayer420
F
FishSlayer420
Very True this is. Also you should give Kirk Pond a chance which is on the north side of the lake. good Crappie on the side you were talking about. I hookod my biggest Bass in that pond it was probably about 6 pounds big fish got me in the weeds and it was over. that stuff is nasty when fishing from the bank. but give it a shot

F
Finneus Polebender
Kirk/ fern ridge

Kirk/ fern ridge

have fished kirk w/ some degree of success. However i can't say it was ever super good for bass. hear that many fish coyote creek and the grassy southern end of the lake itself. have seen nice fish jump out there have not braved the big lake yet for bass. Use to go just above perkins when i was a kid and knock em dead on big crappie, usin jigs in a canoe

Reactions: FishSlayer420
D
Drice
So it sounds like I might have a crappie/ bass exploration trip in my near future. :think: I could probably swing that. I just have to see if all the hearsay I have been exposed to is worth tuning into or just mindless jibber.

S
specreck
Drice said:
So from the grape vine I have been hearing for years that this is a great bass lake. First question, where to start? I heard that the channel just past fisher butte is good bass home? Can anyone confirm this for me, I would like to pontoon it. Second question, has no one fished this recently? There haven't been any reports on the forum since the 7th of April, has it picked up yet, is it worth going out there? Are the fish biting there yet? Have they warmed up enough?

So many questions maybe I should just suck it up and go explorin'
I am really interested in this place from past stories I have heard.Inquiring minds would like to know and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Coyote creek is my favorite spot on the Ditch, you can get to it and put in there off of west 11th, we were there two weeks ago and that creek had actually gotten colder while the rest of the lake on the Dam end got warmer. last year when I was picking up big fish was in may. I think one more week of solid warm weather will get those bass active!

D
Drice
Is coyote creek the canal off to the side of 126 there where everyone puts the canoes/ kayaks in? From Eugene is it the one before the peninsula park or after?

S
specreck
Drice said:
Is coyote creek the canal off to the side of 126 there where everyone puts the canoes/ kayaks in? From Eugene is it the one before the peninsula park or after?
It's the one before peninsula park, to the right on the lake side, head away from the road on that creek. If you take it almost all the way to where it meets with the lake you will find some dead trees and where another creek merges. That's a sweet spot once the fish are active... I've caught the majority of my bass last year just within a 100 yards in either direction of that spot. Lots of grass cover with deep sharp banks under the water with lots of down trees deep in the center of the channel, plus slow current holding biat fish make that spot.....well... the spot!

F
Finneus Polebender
thanks for the info

thanks for the info

Sounds awsome. when the conditions become favorable will have to go investigate

D
Drice
Thats The info I was looking for Thank you. I will be trying it out sometime here pretty soon.

Q
qwapaw
Old Elmira Rd

Old Elmira Rd

When the lake warms up, we used to get a load of nice Bass off old Elmira Rd where it goes into the lake. We threw spinners for them. Mostly a pound to a pound and a half, but every once in a while someone would get a nice one. There were also quite a few smaller ones there too. It was fun, but that was only 41 years ago. I don't know aboout now. Yep I'm that old and grew up out there.

D
Drice
I just talked to a guy at the tackle shop ans he said that they had a Bass tournament out there this weekend and the lead boat had 23 lbs and the biggest fish was somewhere around 8 lbs. I do believe there is a trip to the ditch in my near future.

F
Finneus Polebender
sounds like fun if ya know how

sounds like fun if ya know how

Cmon guys dont know nuthin bout the big one any help is appreciated I want to give this place a shot

D
Drice
So I paddled out there down the channel yesterday. didn't get a lot of fishin , mostly fighting wind. Managed to get one very quick bite, but it looks like it is real nice habitat in there reminds me of the canals we used to fish for bass and crappie in Florida.Do the stumps and snags get covered in water at all or is it a channel all year? Cause thee water is still low ifin it does get that high. Definitely will be back to check it out more in depth but hopefully without as bad of wind.

W
wannaBasser
Drice said:
So I paddled out there down the channel yesterday. didn't get a lot of fishin , mostly fighting wind. Managed to get one very quick bite, but it looks like it is real nice habitat in there reminds me of the canals we used to fish for bass and crappie in Florida.Do the stumps and snags get covered in water at all or is it a channel all year? Cause thee water is still low ifin it does get that high. Definitely will be back to check it out more in depth but hopefully without as bad of wind.
Almost the whole canal is empty during the winter when they open the damn for snw runnoff. Most of the cover is dry then. Now it looks like it is high as it gets. I love the canal, I have fished it more then any other area in Eugene. Its close, sometimes the bite is good and its a neat place. As soo n as the park opens you will see me and my green boat out there.

F
Finneus Polebender
kirk ponds

kirk ponds

buddy hooked into a hog out there the other day said you gotta work the gaps same deal though took him down and 1 minute later it was over gone. watchin the big boys I am starting to understand the idea of pushin the test number way up . You give the biggins any ground and most of the time youll lose the battle.

F
FishSlayer420
Them canala are hiding some very nice bass back there the East Coyote side is where they are that canal goes way back there some god Crappie up in there to.

F
Finneus Polebender
kirk ponds

kirk ponds

went last night played around for about 2 hrs had a couple bites couple other folks fishin it .weed cover thick but patchy see what he meant about the gaps . Guess I am not holdin my lower lip right there has always been a tough customer for me any how another splendid eve on the water

W
wannaBasser
Im going to hit fernridge ditch Sat. 6th. Anyone else going out. I figure all be launching at 8:30am.

S
specialk0082
wannaBasser said:
Im going to hit fernridge ditch Sat. 6th. Anyone else going out. I figure all be launching at 8:30am.

i think im gona head out there this weeknd but never been there drove by there but dont know the money spot on that creek

S
specialk0082
i always wanted to take my toon on that creek by fern.

Last edited: