Favorite winter steelhead flies

B
bigboy70
Trying to get setup for success hoping some of you wont mind sharing some patterns. Right now I have Marabou tubes, hobo spey, fish tacos, and the almighty intruder.

B
bigboy70
Here are some patterns I tied recently. I'm not one to buy flies lol

• uploadfromtaptalk1418104608712.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 186
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104639284.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104670017.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 189
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104704744.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 183
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104744258.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 169
J
JonT
Not always good to go huge, but I like to anyways.

B
bigboy70
Whats the pink and orange one called

B
bigboy70
Are those the shanks you tie on ?

J
JonT
Whats the pink and orange one called

Not sure. I used to crush cobia on that fly in Florida. Tried swinging it and the steelhead liked it too, so I tweeked it to be more spey-friendly.

J
JonT
Are those the shanks you tie on ?

Those are new. I'm giving them a shot. I like them because they are beefy, but might be a little too heavy duty for the dumbells I like.

B
bigboy70
Hmm interestibg

hobster
Nice lookin flies, both of you :thumb: I can tie jigs in my sleep ( so easy to do) but have yet to tie nice flies. I've done some basic flies for smallmouth and some still water flies, hopefully I will have time this winter to work on my craft. I imagine winters would like brighter colors and summers darker, but that also depends on the water conditions.

B
bigboy70
I think the big things are water clarity and temp of the river

J
JonT
R
_RJ_
Favorite winter steelhead flies

Pretty much anything pink...

Guide Intruder, Signature Intruder, Fish Taco, Squidro, Alaskabou Popsicle, Hoh Bo Spey, Foxee Dog, and of course various leeches.

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
Now thats an intruder jonT nicely done if you ever feel like taking a rookie out lol let me know.

Rj thats very similar to what o have. was told to stay away from bunny until I can cast better cause its like a sponge

R
_RJ_
Now thats an intruder jonT nicely done if you ever feel like taking a rookie out lol let me know.

Rj thats very similar to what o have. was told to stay away from bunny until I can cast better cause its like a sponge

Yes and no... Yes they do soak up water. However they have fantastic movement and if you can roll cast you can get one out there. I wouldn't NOT try some. I tie all my own flies and I can make them really heavy, almost un-castable or shorter and sparsely tied to lighten them up. Fishermans has some short pink bunnies they sell. I bet you could cast those no problem.

S
Stonefish
I don't fly fish for steelhead much anymore, but I had pretty good luck using chenille worms.
Not nearly as good looking as a intruder, moal etc, but effective non the less. Silvers, chums, humpies, bull trout and cutthroat eat them as well.
SF

B
bigboy70
Awesome idea for the Deschutes !!!!! Since no bait

H
hcole
How are those worms tied? They look like they'd move well in the water.

S
Stonefish
Hcole,
They do have good movement.
I palmer the chenille around braid just like you would a moal leech.
If you want to attach the worm to a front hook rather then a stinger, you can braid three pieces of chenille together to create the worm.
SF

J
JonT
Those look deadly, no doubt!

brandon4455
i'll upload pics later, but my favorites are shrimp pink colored egg sucking leech,or a peach colored egg pattern of any kind. I don't really swing flies so mostly nymphing stuff for me.

SF, how do you get the chenille to wrap tight on the braid to where it stays like that? i tried last season and just couldn't get it to stay tight.Any tips are appreciated cause i tried worm flies last year and the fish love them!! i plan on tying a bunch of i can figure it out.