Favorite winter steelhead flies

R
_RJ_
When you tie a moal leech you use tear mender as an adhesive because it remains flexible after curing. My guess is that.

S
Stonefish
brandon4455 said:
i'll upload pics later, but my favorites are shrimp pink colored egg sucking leech,or a peach colored egg pattern of any kind. I don't really swing flies so mostly nymphing stuff for me.

SF, how do you get the chenille to wrap tight on the braid to where it stays like that? i tried last season and just couldn't get it to stay tight.Any tips are appreciated cause i tried worm flies last year and the fish love them!! i plan on tying a bunch of i can figure it out.

Brandon,
As mentioned, you can use Tear Mender. They'll be a bit stiff at first but the more you fish them the more they'll wiggle.

A couple of things I've found that have been helpful when creating the worms.
Use a heavy core material. I like to use 100 lb Power Pro. Way overkill lb test wise, but it works well.
It is thick but still gives good movement. I like to Super Glue the open ends of the loop together except right at the hook where you insert the chenille to start palmering it. Let that dry before tying your fly.
If you leave your loop a little longer before you create the worm, that will allow you to swap out the hook if it gets dinged. Kind of a hangback method.

I like to use Trilobal chenille for these because it is pretty dense.

Keep constant tension on your loop while palmering the chenille eliminates the loop materials from twisting. Having three hands would mathese easier to tie, lol.

On other cool way to make these is to tie PW's on silicone tubing. I'll see if I can find some tonight and post some pictures of those.
Hope this helps,
SF

brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome! thanks so much for the help! sorry for the thread hijack to the o.p by the way.

trilobal is already on my list best large sized chenille hareline has that is applicable for this.

S
Stonefish
I had mentioned tying on silicone tubes, but I couldn't find my pink worms tied on them.
it is the same principle of palmering the chenille onto braid, just around the tubing though.
The silicone tubing gives them a great wiggle. Here are some Sandlance patterns tied silicone tubing to give you an idea of what they would look like.
Sorry to the op for the thread drift.
SF

45055D8A-B994-41AA-B731-078F9B119B5B_zps6qrijsjs.jpg

CA37CEF5-5AF5-4D5A-B187-651C1A885730_zpsyhie4jgv.jpg

B
bigboy70
Those ba and apply to winter flies all good! Besides learned a new pattern and that was the point of starting this thread

H
hcole
Thanks stonefish, very cool. I'll have to give those a go.

S
Stonefish
I got a chance today before the Christmas festivities to tie up a few silicone tube pink worms I mentioned earlier in this thread.
SF

E7ED7BF5-DD0E-4767-A31B-7916222E5BCD_zps5hbq6dnx.jpg

Reactions: rogerdodger
B
bigboy70
Man now u got me thinking SF

J
JonT
Got a wild hen on the Sandy Tuesday then a hatchery hen on the Hood Wednesday without re-tying (which was dumb and hasty, I know, but I got lucky with my 10# leader)

new favorite til next week��

image.jpg

S
Stonefish
Playing around with some bunny tied on micro tubes. You can put them together to make them any length you want and the color combos are endless.
SF

18D47B9F-CAC9-41AA-B564-151F22614310_zps23zju9so.jpg
00A72FB2-2E8E-4E8C-8F61-0AB8BD2D115F_zpswjw68ukb.jpg
66D1E081-05BE-42EF-B4AC-603DA0D4E193_zpsouwec8nt.jpg
60B6A1FB-ED40-4B28-A7D3-997D9634EFCF_zps9oosxkpd.jpg