Favorite winter steelhead flies

B
bigboy70
Trying to get setup for success hoping some of you wont mind sharing some patterns. Right now I have Marabou tubes, hobo spey, fish tacos, and the almighty intruder.

B
bigboy70
Here are some patterns I tied recently. I'm not one to buy flies lol

• uploadfromtaptalk1418104608712.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104639284.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104670017.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104704744.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418104744258.jpg
J
JonT
Not always good to go huge, but I like to anyways.

bigflies.jpg

B
bigboy70
Whats the pink and orange one called

B
bigboy70
Are those the shanks you tie on ?

J
JonT
bigboy70 said:
Whats the pink and orange one called

Not sure. I used to crush cobia on that fly in Florida. Tried swinging it and the steelhead liked it too, so I tweeked it to be more spey-friendly.

J
JonT
bigboy70 said:
Are those the shanks you tie on ?

Those are new. I'm giving them a shot. I like them because they are beefy, but might be a little too heavy duty for the dumbells I like.

B
bigboy70
Hmm interestibg

hobster
hobster
Nice lookin flies, both of you :thumb: I can tie jigs in my sleep ( so easy to do) but have yet to tie nice flies. I've done some basic flies for smallmouth and some still water flies, hopefully I will have time this winter to work on my craft. I imagine winters would like brighter colors and summers darker, but that also depends on the water conditions.

B
bigboy70
I think the big things are water clarity and temp of the river

J
JonT
bruise_cruiser.jpg

R
_RJ_
Favorite winter steelhead flies

Pretty much anything pink...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418238868.500319.jpg
Guide Intruder, Signature Intruder, Fish Taco, Squidro, Alaskabou Popsicle, Hoh Bo Spey, Foxee Dog, and of course various leeches.

Last edited:
B
bigboy70
Now thats an intruder jonT nicely done if you ever feel like taking a rookie out lol let me know.

Rj thats very similar to what o have. was told to stay away from bunny until I can cast better cause its like a sponge

R
_RJ_
bigboy70 said:
Now thats an intruder jonT nicely done if you ever feel like taking a rookie out lol let me know.

Rj thats very similar to what o have. was told to stay away from bunny until I can cast better cause its like a sponge

Yes and no... Yes they do soak up water. However they have fantastic movement and if you can roll cast you can get one out there. I wouldn't NOT try some. I tie all my own flies and I can make them really heavy, almost un-castable or shorter and sparsely tied to lighten them up. Fishermans has some short pink bunnies they sell. I bet you could cast those no problem.

S
Stonefish
I don't fly fish for steelhead much anymore, but I had pretty good luck using chenille worms.
Not nearly as good looking as a intruder, moal etc, but effective non the less. Silvers, chums, humpies, bull trout and cutthroat eat them as well.
SF

407BA556-9F97-49D5-9B21-C4027DEA1BA2_zps5xgfvgwj.jpg

B
bigboy70
Awesome idea for the Deschutes !!!!! Since no bait

H
hcole
How are those worms tied? They look like they'd move well in the water.

S
Stonefish
Hcole,
They do have good movement.
I palmer the chenille around braid just like you would a moal leech.
If you want to attach the worm to a front hook rather then a stinger, you can braid three pieces of chenille together to create the worm.
SF

J
JonT
Those look deadly, no doubt!

brandon4455
brandon4455
i'll upload pics later, but my favorites are shrimp pink colored egg sucking leech,or a peach colored egg pattern of any kind. I don't really swing flies so mostly nymphing stuff for me.

SF, how do you get the chenille to wrap tight on the braid to where it stays like that? i tried last season and just couldn't get it to stay tight.Any tips are appreciated cause i tried worm flies last year and the fish love them!! i plan on tying a bunch of i can figure it out.