Fall catfishing in Arkansas

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ahhh,so that's what I was seeing when I was driving through Arkansas. Never could quite figure out how they were hauling fish out of the water without using rods. Interesting. Thanks for setting my mind at ease. :D

R
RunWithSasquatch
Looks like they're using fluorocarbon.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks for sharing.

W
waco
RunWithSasquatch said:
Looks like they're using fluorocarbon.
Must be a good one is not practically invisibly, is invisible!!

Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
K
Keith
Wow.. Am I the only one who thinks that style of catching fish is a little lame? They might as well be using dynamite.

I don't know, just seems like leaving stringers with bait on them and checking them later is little poor taste. I mean, what would you think if I set up 20 rods at some lake in pole holders and threw power bait out there and came back in 2 days to show you all my hard won trout ? I expect more than a few folks to get after me for that.

Thanks just my opinion.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Keith said:
Wow.. Am I the only one who thinks that style of catching fish is a little lame? They might as well be using dynamite.

I don't know, just seems like leaving stringers with bait on them and checking them later is little poor taste. I mean, what would you think if I set up 20 rods at some lake in pole holders and threw power bait out there and came back in 2 days to show you all my hard won trout ? I expect more than a few folks to get after me for that.

Thanks just my opinion.

Kieth, I think that its pretty clear that in a "sport" catch situation, that this would be a pretty lame way to go about things. Granted all of us here in Oregon use a base of rod and reel because that is what is the legal form of harvest.

In this situation, its not a sport catch scenario, rather its a bulk harvest, or sport harvest. I see a difference anyway.

I think of it like this:

Kieth wants to collect crawdaddys for a big ho-down in his back yard later in the day. So Kieth wanders down to the creek side, pitches his crawdaddy trap out in the creek, and wanders off to pitch out a few more sets.

When Kieth returns to his trap he has a wonderful bounty of harvest for his big boil ho-down!

Another form of this type of harvest that is praised hear in Oregon, that to me goes along the same line as what they were doing for catfish, would be how we harvest bay crab.

Its just a different form of harvesting food for the home.

K
Keith
No arguments there. I was not implying any illegitimate activity - legality wise. Just thought it was closer to crabbing than fishing. Funny you had the same type of analogy that I had in my mind. :shock:

Great minds, I guess. HA! :cool:

Just seemed strange to me from a sporting sence, but sure no legal issues or anything like that.... just a different way of going about it.

Reactions: RunWithSasquatch
B
billfisher
Good vidio, thanks for sharing

Reactions: Slick
S
Slick
Keith said:

Thanks just my opinion.
Several things come into play here. First is that catfish are very underharvested in the south and there are channel cats in every little mud hole down there. Did you see anyone else on the lake? Inside the levy of the Mississippi there is no limit on catfish. Second, that form of harvest has been around for a couple of hundred years down there and no one thinks anything about it. Can you imagine what a fisherman from down there thinks when he comes up here and tries to fish (like me). What a shock. See, us Southerners think that things are over-regulated here and a lot of the people are really anal about a lot of things. That wouldn't fly down there, at all. We're not near as refined as you guys. Down there, they don't give a rip how many poles you have out, a limit is a limit, no matter how many rods it took to get it. Guess we're just rednecks. I thought I was going to have to get a lawyer to go with me for a while when I first started fishing up here.

If you think that's bad, check out his yoyo fishing vid. It's an automatic fish catcher. Sets the hook and plays him out for you. It's not about "sport" for a lot of folks down there, it's food gathering. And as long as the fish hold up to this, then what's the problem?

Bass are more closely regulated there. 8 per day. Crappie is 25 per day. Bluegill is 75 per day. Cats are 25 per day. Lots more warmwater fish down there than up here.

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
Slick said:
Several things come into play here. First is that catfish are very underharvested in the south and there are channel cats in every little mud hole down there. Did you see anyone else on the lake? Inside the levy of the Mississippi there is no limit on catfish. Second, that form of harvest has been around for a couple of hundred years down there and no one thinks anything about it. Can you imagine what a fisherman from down there thinks when he comes up here and tries to fish (like me). What a shock. See, us Southerners think that things are over-regulated here and a lot of the people are really anal about a lot of things. That wouldn't fly down there, at all. We're not near as refined as you guys. Down there, they don't give a rip how many poles you have out, a limit is a limit, no matter how many rods it took to get it. Guess we're just rednecks. I thought I was going to have to get a lawyer to go with me for a while when I first started fishing up here.

If you think that's bad, check out his yoyo fishing vid. It's an automatic fish catcher. Sets the hook and plays him out for you. It's not about "sport" for a lot of folks down there, it's food gathering. And as long as the fish hold up to this, then what's the problem?

Bass are more closely regulated there. 8 per day. Crappie is 25 per day. Bluegill is 75 per day. Cats are 25 per day. Lots more warmwater fish down there than up here.

Remember filling a 5 gallon bucket in about 30 minutes every time I went to my grandpaps buddies place at the portage lakes .1-2 lb bluegill hitting the dock like tuna, bamboo rod, heavy kite string and a bobber 1/0 hook tipped with maggots. Not 1 oz of sport, but I tell ya what Joes wife could fillet batter and cook that same 5 gallon bucket full quicker than I could catch em "ever see a filleted fish flop ?", we be talkin the best lunch you ever had. between that and the homade garden picked slaw and sweet corn, we be talkin the best lunch you ever had. Subsistence fit for a king , but subsistence none the less .

S
Slick
Took this off another of Trip's videos comments, This is Trip responding to someone else making comments.

"@Johnboy19751 Well, Johnboy, I recon you would do well to take your own advice. I am quite familiar will my state's hunting and fishing "Code of Regulations" - all 322+ pages of them! The text string "foul hook" cannot even be found therein. If I had a dollar for every idiot who projected their state's fishing regulations upon me and my state, I'd be a very wealthy man. If your state has chicken-shirt laws, that's your problem. When you watch my videos, you're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!"

Last edited:
D
DB Crouper
Been to Louisiana. This is how some Coonass people live and feed their families. So pure and simple, and the very essence of the origin of fishing. Celebrate it!:clap:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
DB Crouper said:
Been to Louisiana. This is how some Coonass people live and feed their families. So pure and simple, and the very essence of the origin of fishing. Celebrate it!:clap:

:think: "Coonass people" :think: is that anything like "ashpoles"? Do I need to change it to "Coonash people?? :doh: :lol:
What the heck are "Coonass people" anyway??

S
Slick
Raincatcher said:
:think: "Coonass people" :think: is that anything like "ashpoles"? Do I need to change it to "Coonash people?? :doh: :lol:
What the heck are "Coonass people" anyway??
Coonasses can only come from Louisiana. Originally were from French-Canadian decent but now applies to anyone from the sticks in Louisiana,

T
TTFishon
When I was 16 I was fortunate enough to visit my uncle in Puerto Rico. Believe it or not there's a good sized lake on that island and that's how he cat fished while we bass fished. Only the catfish he caught were huge. I think of it like setting out crab pots while your salmon fishing. It's basically the same thing.

F
fishindude
:clap::clap:Great video , thanks for sharing . Looks like one heck of a fish fry in the works.:clap::clap: