Expo on 05/01/11

A
Ariel&Jared12
tomriker said:
lol ew.. i hear most bass in ponds aren't very good, but if you catch em out of a river or somthing they ain't bad

Well, everybody is different. And all fish taste the same to us when you smoke them :)

C
colbypearson
They are also partially fed by bear creek, yum.

A
Ariel&Jared12
colbypearson said:
They are also partially fed by bear creek, yum.

Doesn't scare us :) If they were something that people shouldn't eat or keep, it'd be posted saying C&R only. But there's nothing posted :) So, we're going to keep catching &keeping our fish -- That's our decision.

&Yeah, they are yum. :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
have fun getting sick :lol: and ill agree with everyone else, it's legal to keep fish..i have no problem with that, but they are spawning now it it would be a good idea to let em swim back until after they make babies that way there are more fish the next year for c&r anglers and people who keep them alike.

A
Ariel&Jared12
brandon4455 said:
have fun getting sick :lol: and ill agree with everyone else, it's legal to keep fish..i have no problem with that, but they are spawning now it it would be a good idea to let em swim back until after they make babies that way there are more fish the next year for c&r anglers and people who keep them alike.

Thank you. :) We'll enjoy being "sick" because we'll never get sick. :lol: Like I said before... If there was a health problem there, it would be posted plus it'd be in the regulations book, odfw would have told us when we called them, &osp would have said something as well when he checked our licenses last night. Yeah... NOT worried one bit so go ahead &think we'll get sick &try &scare us but we're not dumb.

M
Melly Bait
Eww.. Bear Creek?!?

Eww.. Bear Creek?!?

First this.. I want to say.. I am all for eating fish.. But I chose to only eat the fish that are Native to Southern Oregon. Largemouth bass are not one of the many native species here.

Second thing.. I consider myself (along with many others here on OFF) a true "Sports Fishermen" It's not about keep and eat (to me), it's about Catch and release, and share the sport with my children. By letting that female go, she would have be able to spawn and fill that pond with hundreds of new bass.. hopefully with a trophy set of genes behind them..

Third thing.. I have lived here in S.Oregon my entire life.. and that pond, and the water in it.. are nasty.. now.. Bear creek and Jackson county have done a ton to improve the watershed.. and it is better.. probably good enough to publish a report claiming it's condition is "GOOD".. but.. it's the kind of water that if you swim in it.. you need to shower very well.. there has been dead people in that pond.. and bums bathe in it.. and worse... :$

There are lakes here in S.O that you can catch and keep and eat all you'd like.. such as Hyatt Lake.. it's crammed full of some rat bass, so full in fact it's choked.. and the lake wants the bass to be kept.. But in a place that can hold and harbor some really large bass like the expo, let em go.. Leave them to become the trophy they can become..

Last thing.. I personally want to say, I hope you guys don't feel like you've been beat up.. I am speaking for myself and for my passion for Sports Fishing.. I enjoyed the pic's and love to see anyone enjoy fishing.. and it looks as though you tow do.. I just wanted to tell you that this thread and post's hit home with the difference between "sports fishing" and "Recreational fishing"

S
sherman
I'm glad you posted that Mel. I too don't want them to feel alienated by opinions on this forum. Everyone has opinion as to why they keep or release fish. I'm not much of a fish eater even salmon unless it's smoked. I'll keep a trout or two or even a kokenee & blue gill are good fried but the bass has always tasted muddy to me from what bass i've tried. Now give me a good halibut & what times dinner?

C
colbypearson
i just hate that people can go dunk worms for spawning bass and go and eat them..... its unfortunate :)

i honestly hope you guys never catch another bass at the ponds if the intention is to eat it :dance:.........

i fish those ponds close to 100 times a year and this time of year really makes me cringe because any meat fisherman, bucket patrol, nest molester can go catch a bass to eat :D... its a good thing some of the bass are not as stupid as some of the people that catch them or there wouldnt be any left for me to catch! :)

i dont care about one tiny 10" bass, But im gonna get myself banned if someone lands a big one off a bed at the ponds and "SMOKES" it....

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
colbypearson said:
i just hate that people can go dunk worms for spawning bass and go and eat them..... its unfortunate :)

i honestly hope you guys never catch another bass at the ponds if the intention is to eat it :dance:.........

i fish those ponds close to 100 times a year and this time of year really makes me cringe because any meat fisherman, bucket patrol, nest molester can go catch a bass to eat :D... its a good thing some of the bass are not as stupid as some of the people that catch them :)

i dont care about one tiny 10" bass, But im gonna get myself banned if someone lands a big one off a bed at the ponds and "SMOKES" it....

LMFAO. nest molester. well said bro :clap:

F
Finneus Polebender
Sumthin about momma tellin me if I dont have anything good to say.......................... besides think you all covered it well.

T
tomriker
Just for you Colby I'm going to go catch a big fat one sitting on a nest and EAT it! Lol

Oh and you stole nest molester from FB didn't you?

A
Ariel&Jared12
Melly Bait said:
First this.. I want to say.. I am all for eating fish.. But I chose to only eat the fish that are Native to Southern Oregon. Largemouth bass are not one of the many native species here.

Second thing.. I consider myself (along with many others here on OFF) a true "Sports Fishermen" It's not about keep and eat (to me), it's about Catch and release, and share the sport with my children. By letting that female go, she would have be able to spawn and fill that pond with hundreds of new bass.. hopefully with a trophy set of genes behind them..

Third thing.. I have lived here in S.Oregon my entire life.. and that pond, and the water in it.. are nasty.. now.. Bear creek and Jackson county have done a ton to improve the watershed.. and it is better.. probably good enough to publish a report claiming it's condition is "GOOD".. but.. it's the kind of water that if you swim in it.. you need to shower very well.. there has been dead people in that pond.. and bums bathe in it.. and worse... :$

There are lakes here in S.O that you can catch and keep and eat all you'd like.. such as Hyatt Lake.. it's crammed full of some rat bass, so full in fact it's choked.. and the lake wants the bass to be kept.. But in a place that can hold and harbor some really large bass like the expo, let em go.. Leave them to become the trophy they can become..

Last thing.. I personally want to say, I hope you guys don't feel like you've been beat up.. I am speaking for myself and for my passion for Sports Fishing.. I enjoyed the pic's and love to see anyone enjoy fishing.. and it looks as though you tow do.. I just wanted to tell you that this thread and post's hit home with the difference between "sports fishing" and "Recreational fishing"

Thank you for not being rude. I understand what you mean and we are going to fish Hyatt for Bass, not just Trout. But we chose to go to the Expo the other day because it's a lot closer to home than Hyatt is. Not everyone on here is C&R fishers, we happen to be one of them. But it doesn't mean we are "bad" people by taking them home. We don't feel beat up at all from what people tell us. It doesn't stop us one bit from doing what we do. We're glad you enjoy the pictures we post. We enjoy fishing together almost every day during this kind of weather.

Last edited:
A
Ariel&Jared12
sherman said:
I'm glad you posted that Mel. I too don't want them to feel alienated by opinions on this forum. Everyone has opinion as to why they keep or release fish. I'm not much of a fish eater even salmon unless it's smoked. I'll keep a trout or two or even a kokenee & blue gill are good fried but the bass has always tasted muddy to me from what bass i've tried. Now give me a good halibut & what times dinner?

Thank you. You're a nice person too, lol. We don't feel alienated one bit by what people say to us. It won't stop us from doing what we do and posting what we post. If people don't like it, they don't need to be rude about it. &We're with you on Halibut :)

M
Melly Bait
Thank you for understanding.. It's really hard to be any kind of "serious" bass fishermen here in S.Oregon when almost to easy to pick off some beautiful Pre-Spawn largemouth. The problem I see, is there are so many people out here that are carelessly fishing for ANY kind of fish and taking home what ever they catch.. regardless of limits, tags, or regs.. (not saying that's what you guys are doing, but I see it everyday) Colby Pearson called it nest molesting and bucket patrol.. and that's what it is.. people see a huge fish and target it.. regardless of what it is or what it's doing.. spawning is such an important time with largemouth.. it is what continues our sport and drives our quest to become a better and more skilled fishermen..

Reactions: colbypearson
H
Hawk
Melly Bait said:
Thank you for understanding.. It's really hard to be any kind of "serious" bass fishermen here in S.Oregon when almost to easy to pick off some beautiful Pre-Spawn largemouth. The problem I see, is there are so many people out here that are carelessly fishing for ANY kind of fish and taking home what ever they catch.. regardless of limits, tags, or regs.. (not saying that's what you guys are doing, but I see it everyday) Colby Pearson called it nest molesting and bucket patrol.. and that's what it is.. people see a huge fish and target it.. regardless of what it is or what it's doing.. spawning is such an important time with largemouth.. it is what continues our sport and drives our quest to become a better and more skilled fishermen..

I Totally agree with you Melly Bait...

When a large female bass during Spawn is allowed to live, she is spreading her good genes, with many new fingerling bass, swimming our ponds, lakes, rivers, etc.

Imho, let the large bass live to Spawn in many coming years, in our future, good times fishin'..

Thankyou,

Reactions: Melly Bait and Throbbit _Shane
C
colbypearson
Rep fest! INSERT REP ABOVE POSTS.

A
Ariel&Jared12
It's not like we purposely try to catch the female Bass. We're new to Bass fishing so how the hell would we know when they spawn? We throw our pole in the water with whatever we decide to put on it, and if we happen to get a Bass or Trout, so be it. It's not like we wait for the pregnant ones to come to us and keep them. In fact, we haven't even caught a pregnant one. But it's also like you guys are saying we shouldn't fish at all. We went to Hyatt last weekend and caught 18-20" Trout... It's also like you guys are telling us we shouldn't even keep those when Trout is our main focus on fishing. Of course we're going to keep those fish. There's tons of fish in lakes, rivers, and ponds that others can keep/release.

&if we caught anything other than what we fish for (Trout and Bass) then we wouldn't keep it. We follow the regulations. If it says C&R in the book, we will not even bother that area. If it says a limit that you can keep, we'll fish it. But they don't list when they spawn, so how would we know...

Reactions: Melly Bait
C
colbypearson
Its a future referance thing, i love those ponds and am willing to do anything in my power to preserve them, regardless of limits or preferance i am going to push C&R there 100% unless things such as population change thats the way its gonna be:........ ODFW and the regs they enforce are not always best for a fishery, the get a limit mentality sucks..... its a limit not a goal....

A
Ariel&Jared12
colbypearson said:
Its a future referance thing, i love those ponds and am willing to do anything in my power to preserve them, regardless of limits or preferance i am going to push C&R there 100% unless things such as population change thats the way its gonna be:........ ODFW and the regs they enforce are not always best for a fishery, the get a limit mentality sucks..... its a limit not a goal....

Hmm... Just seems kinda weird to me because EVERY person we see there that catch Trout and Bass, they keep them. We won't be going back to the ponds for a while anyways because the bigger lakes are starting to warm up so we'd rather fish there.

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
C
colbypearson
Ariel&Jared12 said:
Hmm... Just seems kinda weird to me because EVERY person we see there that catch Trout and Bass, they keep them. .
EVERYONE!!!?, HUH, just seems kinda wierd to me because how many times have you been there? So am i included in this "EVERY ONE" statistic....