Ethanol fuel damage!!!

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Ethanol

Can I use ethanol blended gas in my Volvo Penta engine?
Volvo Penta gasoline engines may be operated using gasoline blended with no more than 10% ethanol that meets the minimum octane specification.

Fuel containing 10% ethanol is also commonly referred to "E10."

Users of ethanol-blended fuels must take additional care in the maintenance of their fuel systems. The effects vary depending on the fuel tank material. Most boats produced the last 20 years have fuel tanks constructed of aluminum, stainless steel, or plastics.

Since ethanol-blended fuels attract and hold moisture, ethanol content can contribute to causing corrosion of tank material in aluminum fuel tanks. Corrosion material can clog fuel filters and damage injectors, carburetors, and other fuel system components.

Stainless steel and plastic fuel tank materials are not affected by ethanol-blended fuels. However, ethanol-blended fuel can act as a solvent, loosening and washing old deposits or contaminates into the fuel system.

Fuel system or engine damage caused by contamination from water, foreign particles, sludge, or gums entering or forming in the fuel system is not covered by the Volvo Penta Limited Warranty.

Some older boats may have fiberglass fuel tanks. Ethanol-blended fuels have been shown to act as a solvent to the surface of fiberglass fuel tanks, weakening the fuel tank walls and allowing sludge and gum to form in the engine fuel system and valve train. As a result, Volvo Penta does not recommend the use of ethanol-blended fuels in fuel tanks constructed of fiberglass.

Refer to the Fuel System Maintenance section of your Operator’s Manual for the complete fuel requirement statement from Volvo Penta.

Recommendations when using 10% ethanol-blended (E10) fuel:
The use of a water separating fuel filter between the fuel tank and the engine is recommended. See your Volvo Penta dealer for information regarding installation of the appropriate water separating fuel filter in accordance with US Coast Guard regulations and ABYC standards.
Water separating fuel filters should be checked frequently for water and contaminates in accordance with the filter manufacturers recommended service intervals.
The use of a commercially available fuel stabilizer such as STA-BIL® is recommended when storing ethanol-blended fuels for more than 2 weeks.

LOOK AT PAGE 2 FOR BOATLADY RECOMMENDATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Repairs cost a lot! maintain you boats instead!!!

Last edited:
S
sherman
Ethanol is a ploy by our goverment to keep the car manufactors along with the parts & service departments in buisness selling & repairing our motors or buying new cars do to lack of longevity. Not to mention the keeping the farmers subdivised by not growing crops for food but rather for bio & ethanol which puts a strain on the worlds food supply.

it's a ploy by the enviromentilist to make more $$ to further their cause, even though there is a volcanoe on this planet that spews more carbon in one day than all the cars on the planet do in one year. But we have to start somewhere is their mantra.

It takes more energy & fuel to produce the stuff than what it saves in $$$ & inviroment. But what do I know I just haul & distribute the stuff.

V
viento
We'll have to rollback hundreds if not thousands of regulations based on plant food (carbon dioxide) being re-defined as a pollutant.

A greenhouse is hottest at its peak. Earth is coldest at its peak. Earth is not a greenhouse.
Beware those lecturing about evil greenhouse gasses, they are the food that fuels the food chain.

G
GDBrown
If they really wanted to put corn to the best use they would stop feeding it to animals and feed it directly to people. Feed lot fed beef cattle consume more corn to produce a pound of meat than 100 people could eat in a month!

But I better be careful how much I say since my Father-in Law was a beef rancher and his hard work has mad my life much easier! :lol:

GD

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Yeah but! ")

Yeah but! ")

GDBrown said:
If they really wanted to put corn to the best use they would stop feeding it to animals and feed it directly to people. Feed lot fed beef cattle consume more corn to produce a pound of meat than 100 people could eat in a month!

But I better be careful how much I say since my Father-in Law was a beef rancher and his hard work has mad my life much easier! :lol:

GD

Yeah but your comparing Protien to no Nutritional value!!! ") MEAT BUILDS MUSCLE MAKES UP STRONG! ") Feed the feeder corn to cows we don't want the crap they feed cows anyway, we like the good stuff... :) I also want to bump Page two on how to handle E10 in our gas.... ") It's soo important to keep up on it...

F
fishtales
I have had some engine probs because of fuel before. I have never done wd 40. My Carb is actually pretty tough to get to so I could not get it open or out. However I have used carb cleanier in the reservoir. It was a small step to solving the bigger problem. When I have the time and tools I'm going to get the carb out and open and clean it out with the carb cleaner. I would like to know if wd40 works. I'm pretty sure it does not need a tune up and its the just the carb. Also going to check the spark plugs.

B
Bassleg
There is a gas station that is also a body shop in Brownsville that has no ethanol gas that I use it's a little more $$ and it's premium just an fyi.

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
howdy dewdy

howdy dewdy

fishtales said:
I have had some engine probs because of fuel before. I have never done wd 40. My Carb is actually pretty tough to get to so I could not get it open or out. However I have used carb cleanier in the reservoir. It was a small step to solving the bigger problem. When I have the time and tools I'm going to get the carb out and open and clean it out with the carb cleaner. I would like to know if wd40 works. I'm pretty sure it does not need a tune up and its the just the carb. Also going to check the spark plugs.

WD 40 for salmon gear works great not sure about what your talking about, What is your motor no doing ot do you still have issues I will try to help with what I have seen and heard the mechanics at work say. (I WONT PICK UP A WRENCH FOR YOU THOUGH I DELIGATE!!! LOL ) (also remember if all else fails KICK IT! LOL )

R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Also A customer just told me of a gas station on the back road to salem that has no E10 gas.

B
Born2Fish55
Four years I took my 1957 Evinrude 18 to Harvey Marine, they told me it was trashed due to Ethanol damage. Two years ago my Honda 35HP 4 stroke started acting up, so to the shop I went... Harvey Marine first, where they said I needed a major carb rebuild due to running Ethanol damage. So, I could it back to where I bought it, same statement and the warranty didn't cover it because of the Ethanol is considered to be operator negligence damage (I used the additive in the fuel the whole time). Since then I have been driving from Hillsboro over to Longview to buy Ethanol free fuel... took my motor(s) in for annual tune up... both fine... running like champs.

The statement was made by the dealer that "most marine engine manufacturers will not warranty engines that have been running Ethanol fuels, nor will they warranty their installed fuel tanks if damaged by user negligence. I might add that my lawn mower also went tits up due to the same problem per the repair shop in Cornelius (and again I was using the additive as recommended) and again I was told that using Ethanol fuels is considered to be user negligence.

***And Oregon wants to increase the amount of Ethanol in our fuel?????***

V
viento
GDBrown said:

GD
Best? They? Do you mean the elites? The hyper-smart government pinhead control freaks, whose regulations force us away from what we want to enjoy?
Government has ruined
education
healthcare
energy
real estate
justice system
transportation system
They are working on the military, freedom of religion, and free speech.

As for your math, at Safeway/Albertsons etc, 8 ozs of canned corn for 30 days for 100 people is ballpark $1200. Assuming a market-ready beef spent 8 months eating a
corn-heavy feed-lot diet, at human retail corn prices, thats $9600!!! So obviously, you are absurdly comparing elephants to chipmunks, since I can buy, and have deluxe packaging done on a side of premium beef for $1400, without even shopping around. And a lot of that cow food goes back into the soil again as fertilizer, Tillamook locals can verify this.
Cheers

S
stream2.5
Born2Fish55 said:
Four years I took my 1957 Evinrude 18 to Harvey Marine, they told me it was trashed due to Ethanol damage. Two years ago my Honda 35HP 4 stroke started acting up, so to the shop I went... Harvey Marine first, where they said I needed a major carb rebuild due to running Ethanol damage. So, I could it back to where I bought it, same statement and the warranty didn't cover it because of the Ethanol is considered to be operator negligence damage (I used the additive in the fuel the whole time). Since then I have been driving from Hillsboro over to Longview to buy Ethanol free fuel... took my motor(s) in for annual tune up... both fine... running like champs.

The statement was made by the dealer that "most marine engine manufacturers will not warranty engines that have been running Ethanol fuels, nor will they warranty their installed fuel tanks if damaged by user negligence. I might add that my lawn mower also went tits up due to the same problem per the repair shop in Cornelius (and again I was using the additive as recommended) and again I was told that using Ethanol fuels is considered to be user negligence.

***And Oregon wants to increase the amount of Ethanol in our fuel?????***

you wer being told a bunch of BS.. if the damage is proven to be truly ethanol related versus improper storage the engine is covered. problem is fuel sitting in a small carb bowl for over 90 days exceeds its shelf life. and therefore becomes owner neglect. ethanol while its corrosive, its not corrosive until it separates from water and age induced separation. and also any statement about an enine not running with E10 in any capacity is also false. engines after 1984 were all designed to be ran on both MTBE based and ETHANOL based Unleaded fuels.. including Outboards...
all your ethanol issues comedown to improper storage or use of stale fuels... i have a 1989 merc with over 3000 hrs.... its never been apart and do you think i care what fuels are ran in it... nope... not as long as its 89+ octain rated... and fresh. beyond that no issues ever arise. ethanol is not a bad fuel source you have to tune for it, and know its storage life.... its here to stay.. get over it and move on..... its been in oregon since 2001... and required by law for all street serving standard unleaded fuels. learn how to tune for it or find a new mechanic who does know how to deal with it. E85 is a by far supperior fuel if you know and understand what it is and at 109 octain allows use of 13:1 compression which actually gains hp, milege, and over all performance without detonation.

some of you all are drinkers.... ever watch a 151 mixed drink burn... its very controlled and a very hot blue flame. with very little kernel. learn how to tune for a very slow burning flame and extend timing, fine tune fuel delivery and raise combustion heat and magically your complaints disappear...

B
Born2Fish55
stream2.5 said:
you wer being told a bunch of BS.. if the damage is proven to be truly ethanol related versus improper storage the engine is covered. problem is fuel sitting in a small carb bowl for over 90 days exceeds its shelf life. and therefore becomes owner neglect. ethanol while its corrosive, its not corrosive until it separates from water and age induced separation. and also any statement about an enine not running with E10 in any capacity is also false. engines after 1984 were all designed to be ran on both MTBE based and ETHANOL based Unleaded fuels.. including Outboards...
all your ethanol issues comedown to improper storage or use of stale fuels... i have a 1989 merc with over 3000 hrs.... its never been apart and do you think i care what fuels are ran in it... nope... not as long as its 89+ octain rated... and fresh. beyond that no issues ever arise. ethanol is not a bad fuel source you have to tune for it, and know its storage life.... its here to stay.. get over it and move on..... its been in oregon since 2001... and required by law for all street serving standard unleaded fuels. learn how to tune for it or find a new mechanic who does know how to deal with it. E85 is a by far supperior fuel if you know and understand what it is and at 109 octain allows use of 13:1 compression which actually gains hp, milege, and over all performance without detonation.

some of you all are drinkers.... ever watch a 151 mixed drink burn... its very controlled and a very hot blue flame. with very little kernel. learn how to tune for a very slow burning flame and extend timing, fine tune fuel delivery and raise combustion heat and magically your complaints disappear...

:think:Yet the Honda Outboard Motor dealer I bought mine from highlighted the addendum they stapled to my manual and stated that use of E85 will void my warranty? And if it does not damage the motor while running, why was the damage to my John Deere mower said to be from E85 at a store that does not deal with Outboards? On my Deere, I always use purchase 1.5 gallons of fuel and run my mower once or twice a week, at end of season I always run the tank out and pour whatever fuel is left into my tank on my Durango. Both the 1.5 container and my Deere's fuel tank are drained with no fuel remaining. Yet again, the dealer recommends not running E85 without adding the additive? Could it be just my bad luck that two Evinrudes (old - 1956 and 1957), one Honda (new 2010), and my John Deere (new - 2009) all suffer from the same symptoms? Maybe, but I know of two other boaters who's motors had similar problems.... and four neighbors who have had problems with their lawn mowers and when repaired were told almost the same thing. Could be a conspiracy, but I think some are just fortunate and other pay the Piper with E85... the Corn growers make more money and Kitz and the boys pocket some more "Political contributions" :shock:

Run this experiment... in a one quart Mason jar (outside, away from structures), place two cups of E85 in the jar and leave sit in direct sunlight for a week or so, then without moving the jar, look at what happens to the fuel.... one, it separates a little bit, but more so, there will be a significant amount of water droplets on the bottom of the lid... interesting that the same thing does not happen with Ethanol free or Diesel fuel, which also does not contain Ethanol.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Funny, Ive been hanging out in boats with outboards, pushing lawn mowers, and breaking chainsaws my whole life.. or at least 28 years of it.. and those machines were all cranky abused broken pieces of **** long before ethanol... sounds like just a new cop out for not having to honor a warranty on a style of product like an outboard, which have always like mowers chainsaws, weed eaters dirt bikes, snow machines... been abused and were designed as pieces of ****. I know a lot of guys get more than seven years out of a lot of these small engiene tools.. and those guys are my heros, becouse I can't-

B
Born2Fish55
halibuthitman said:
Funny, Ive been hanging out in boats with outboards, pushing lawn mowers, and breaking chainsaws my whole life.. or at least 28 years of it.. and those machines were all cranky abused broken pieces of **** long before ethanol... sounds like just a new cop out for not having to honor a warranty on a style of product like an outboard, which have always like mowers chainsaws, weed eaters dirt bikes, snow machines... been abused and were designed as pieces of ****. I know a lot of guys get more than seven years out of a lot of these small engiene tools.. and those guys are my heros, becouse I can't-

Only item I have that has lasted longer that my two Evinrudes is my McCulloch 1-85 that I bought new in 1972 at Claudes Saw Shop in Vernonia. Sucker may not have any of the safety features of today and none of the bells and whistles, but by God, that sucker runs as good today running a 48" bar with a skip tooth chain as it did back then (just smokes a little more) :D