empty river!!!

D
dtikey
Got about 45 minutes to run up the river this afternoon after not fishing for more then a month it felt good.Pulled up through the hatchery to the back side and no rigs.Things are looking even better get the whole river to myself to do whatever I want. Already rigged up for drifting eggs and corky so bait up and 5 casts in fish on.Couple weak splashes on top and quick head turn hook pops.20 minutes later tug tug set hook fish on.Painted up reycycled buck but pretty good scrap so quick pic pop the hook and release him.No more fish but a well spent 45 minutes. downsized_0930121646.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've been thinking I need to float the dam to greenwood for some old steel. C and r sounds good this time of year. Nice work.

E
eugene1
Nice dti, glad you survived the fishing withdrawals! Only 7 more months and next year's summer runs will be here, summer steelhead are an amazing fish.

Best,

N
natro
Nice job. I've actually thought about just going up there and trying it for the day and see what happens too.

D
dtikey
thanks guys yeah still lots of fish natro just need some cooler temps maybe a little rain and they will get pretty aggresive up thier before they spawn.The hens should be starting to get really good eggs now too.

Reactions: bass
bass
bass
Great job dtikey, hat is some efficient fishing.

M
Mad dog
Nice fish!

I think all the fishermen from Eugene are down here on the Umpqua salmon fishing....every 3rd guy you talk to is from Eugene!

A
alm21
The masses didn't get the memo that are still some steel to be caught in those waters. 45 mins? LOL, you have that place dialed in!

B
bran_man
alm21 said:
The masses didn't get the memo that are still some steel to be caught in those waters. 45 mins? LOL, you have that place dialed in!

Yeah that's for sure! good job Mike! Pretty fish too! I went out there once last weak and went 5 for 7 on dark stinkys (nooks) but no steelhead. saw one guy hook a small one down on third jetty from me on a small little Cleo but it jumped once and spit the hook. good to see there is still some steel in there. might have to start going out there more

Last edited:
D
dtikey
Yeah Brandon as you know the egg fest will be coming up shortly up thier as soon as the water gets back up to 5 foot.this time of year I usally got to use eggs to get more eggs though but oh well still fun.

B
bran_man
oh yeah! I can't wait for the rains and for the river to go up! Love me some bobber/eggs! ha ha. Yeah it was pretty crazy, last time I was out, after I was done fishing and packing up the car, I decided to go look at the hatchery hole because you could see the salmon going crazy up there. There was easily a hundred salmon bedded all over up there getting ready to spawn. Pretty crazy to just sit and watch for a while!

A
AirChief Caster
Went to the South Fork yesterday and lots of salmon around about to expire. Caught a huge freaking fish early in the morning on a pink egg fly and played him well with no problems. I had him within a few feet of me and before I put my net under him - I lifted the rod too high causing the line to break. I was broken hearted and so mad at myself for making such a beginner mistake. This thing was so big and pulled out a lot of line on my strong disc drag reel. We are talking around 24" and 5 lbs