EE Wilson Friday?

C
chris61182
So is anyone else planning on being out there for opening day?

I have no idea what time of the day I'm going to be there as I'm just playing it by ear whether or not I can sneak away. But if you see a guy carrying way to much gear for his own good and casting lures instead of soaking bait, there's a good chance that'll be me.

T
tongo
haha i see you are from corvallis, im here for school but am from salem. I think on friday i'm gonna head down to walter and try for a brooder. Good luck on your trip.

C
Combat Chuck
EE

EE

Stuck at work today :( hope to get out this weekend. Could i get any updates on whats working?

C
chris61182
What's working?! EVERYTHING! It was a blast out there this morning! ODFW did a knock out job stocking the pond.

OK, now that I've got that out of my system, yeah it was a real blast. I got there about 7:40 this morning, and three casts in and a very large brooder grabbed hold, thrashed wildly for a minute, then tossed my lure back to the shore for me. Fish were being hooked regularly around the whole pond, but only a few were making it all the way to the shore. Everyone was throwing lures, and they all seemed to be working, as there didn't seem to be any lack of people with thrashing fish on their lines.

Sometime around 9:00ish the bite shut down, so I would definitely recommend getting there early. I left at about 10:00 so maybe it got better again later.

All in all I only managed to land one fish in the short while I was there, a nice 2lb brook trout, and who's going to be dinner in approximately a 30 minutes :D .

C
Combat Chuck
EE

EE

Went out this morning (2/3) and had some fun ;) . Got a 14" brook, landed 3 in all... lures seem to be working the best and i think everyone got at least some action.

C
chris61182
Did you see anymore big ones hooked?

C
Combat Chuck
big

big

One big one was hooked, not landed and i was able to watch one of the big ones take a strike at my lure. :shock: That really gets you excited!... unfortunately he didn't take it though.

C
chris61182
Oh boy is that ever a thrill, I too had a farsighted fish monster make several short swipes. Of course that has to happen 3ft from the shore with no more room for it to keep chasing :mad: !

R
rainbowfisherman
ok i know this thread is basically over but is there good fishing this time of year there.
I read that lures were working the best what kind.

C
chris61182
This thread is only 30 days away from being relevant, so I'd say good job! I saw all sorts of lures work, in particular I was using a super duper, others were using spoons, spinners, and buzz bombs. When the fish were biting they bit everything and when they weren't biting they bit nothing, it didn't seem to matter either way.

R
rainbowfisherman
ok so when does the bite start and end

C
chris61182
There seems to be a definite morning bite, re-reading my report from last year looks like it shut down around 9am, and I've been told there's an evening bite as well but I've never been there for it.

A
A_J-Llama
EE Wilson

EE Wilson

We seemed to do pretty good till about 10:00 or so, sometimes 10:30. Kastmasters worked the best for us, but a couple guys in float tubes were killi'n em draggin wooly-buggers in black and olive with a fly rod. Also a patzkies under a bobber with a 3' leader worked real well, seemed to work better than power bait. It starts as soon as you can see to put your cast in the water, prob. can't start too early as far as the fish are concerned.

Last edited:
C
Combat Chuck
rainbowfisherman said:
is there good fishing this time of year there.
Just wanted to point out it doesn't open until Feb 1st? I think.

R
rainbowfisherman
i didn't know that it was closed so thank you.

F
Fish Dawgs
Is it worth making the tri from the Salem area?
Where is e e Wilson any way

R
rainbowfisherman
it opens on feb. 1 right.

C
chris61182
Correct, and not too much longer now.

R
rainbowfisherman
they mainly stock that with brook trout right?
Are they about they same as catching rainbows.
how big is the pond.

Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
so no one was using worms right?
SMALL LURES SEEMS TO BE THE TRICK THERE.