Echo Carbon..

E
eggs
I would like to hear opinions from anyone with first hand experience with this rod. I am considering getting a 9' 5wt.

I will go cast one before buying of course. I have held and wiggled one, it seemed solid and pretty fast action.

I don't need "I heard it was good" or "I read it was good" because I have heard and read the same thing.

I need to hear "I have cast one and it rocks" or "I have cast one and wouldn't waste my money" or "I own one and it is badarce"

I don't want to step up to an echo3 or down to a solo. I have few TFO's I love, but would like to try out an Echo or maybe something else in the same price range.

I will be putting a Ross CLA and line up a Rio Grand 6wt on it at first(already have those) and if line needs to be adjusted I will.

Thanks..

J
JeannaJigs
I heard it was good ;)

W
waco
I read it was good!! :lol:

E
eggs
son of a *****!

O
Outdrsmn
My friend has one and it is as good as rod as any in that price range. I almost bought one but went with a reddington.

bass
bass
Well, I read about someone who heard it was good AND I heard about someone who read it was good :)

Sorry, I have not cast that rod.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Eggs,
When I was searching for new rods last year, I cast a few of the carbon rods - including the 9' 5 and 9' 6 - and I can honestly say I was impressed. When I replace a couple of the rods I sold due to job loss - the Echo Carbon 7'6" 3 weight is on the short list, and if I ever decide to replace my Cabela's LSi 9' 6 weight - I'm going to go with either the Carbon 9'6 or the Ion 10' 6. I can't think of a rod in the price class that beats the echo in castability or balance, and I would say that they're better than a number of the $300 rods I've test cast (*cough*Sage*cough*Winston*cough*

The composite cork takes a little getting used to if you just love the looks of traditional cork - but the feel is good, it's very grippy, and face it - you don't buy Echo rods because you want a beauty queen - you buy them because they cast ballz out and just plain work.

Reactions: eggs
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Forgot to add:

The 6 weight Rio Grand should work fine on the Carbon 5 weight - it will load your rod up very nicely on short casts, and will make it bend a lot deeper into the butt on the long casts - so if you're used to a really fast casting stroke, you might have to slow it down a tad.

FWIW, My 8 weight Ion rod is a *fast* action rod and I decided to line it up with a #9 line to slow my casting stroke down a tad with it. Then again, I'm not looking to bomb out 80' casts on a regular basis with it - if i was I would stick with the #8 line. The heavier line loads the rod better at the shorter distances I usually fish.

E
eggs
Awesome thanks Uncle Gungas!

S
Spydeyrch
Nice review there GU. :clap:

The Ion 10' 8wt is going to be my winter steelhead rod for this year. :D

Eggs, when/if you get the carbon, let us know how it loads that that 1wt higher line. I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Take care.

-Spydey

E
eggs
Will do! I am thinking about picking it up before the salmonfly hatch..

For the most part I enjoy fishing a line up on most rods.. I like the quick easy loading short casts and slightly deeper load for easier roll casts.

I just hope it is stiff enough to line up.. but if not I guess I will get new line and kick myself for not snagging one of Sinkline's Rio Gold lines he had for sale :lol:

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you like up-lining. I haven't found an Echo rod yet that could be described as anything slower than medium-fast action - and those have, at least to my limited wiggling and casting of them - been limited to the 4's and lighter. The 5 and up line weights are usually fast, tip-action rods.

The other great thing - if you happen to bust your Echo, it's super easy to get it repaired or replaced - just drive across the river with $35 to their warehouse in Vantucky.

E
eggs
GungasUncle said:
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you like up-lining. I haven't found an Echo rod yet that could be described as anything slower than medium-fast action - and those have, at least to my limited wiggling and casting of them - been limited to the 4's and lighter. The 5 and up line weights are usually fast, tip-action rods.

The other great thing - if you happen to bust your Echo, it's super easy to get it repaired or replaced - just drive across the river with $35 to their warehouse in Vantucky.

Yea that is another thing that is drawing me to the Echo.. hmm might have to take a drive up the road to Welches and toss one around. Thanks again for your input..

S
Spydeyrch
GungasUncle said:

Ya gotta love that!! Just drive up and they will fix it for you. I snapped my Echo 9' 5wt 3p and I drove up there with my kids. They said that they didn't make 3p rods any more so they took the old one and gave me a brand spankin' new 2011 model 4p rod!! With new rod sock and rod tube!!! :shock:

Loved them ever since!!

Although yes, their rods are usually pretty fast action. I have a 5wt and the tip is a pretty fast action tip. I kind of would like a little slower action, kind of like my 3wt. But beggers can't be choosers!! hahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
Spydeyrch said:
Nice review there GU. :clap:

The Ion 10' 8wt is going to be my winter steelhead rod for this year. :D

Eggs, when/if you get the carbon, let us know how it loads that that 1wt higher line. I would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Take care.

-Spydey
echo ion 10ft 8wt is the beast steelhead nymphing rod on this planet love those rods!!! eggs, iv held a carbon before and casted it, it was loaded with a rio gold 5wt line loaded fine and launched some line!!!

E
eggs
Good stuff Brandon do you think it will load a wf6 line? What did you think of the cork? Its kinda different I think i will get less fatigue it is kinda smaller and I don't have very big hands..

O
OnTheDrop
yWas just looking at a 9' 5wt Echo here in Bend today! Almost bought it on the spot. I really liked it. But, I'm going to look around for a few more days before I make a decision. I wont be suprised if I end up with the Echo...

brandon4455
brandon4455
i do like the cork, not huge and bulky or anything and is easy to keep your hand around,especially when going for a long distance cast. I think it will load a 6wt just fine,mainly because it could load the 5wt line but it feels like a little extra line weight would be able to carry a lot of line through the air in very few hauls,even with the wind at the deschutes. i say go for it.

E
eggs
Thanks bro its always nice to get feed back from people with hands on experience !

R
_RJ_
I have 2... 9' 5wt, 7'6" 3wt; I love them both. I over lined the 5wt and it helps tame the wind on the deschutes.