Eating carp

M
Modest_Man
Yum!

Picture1_zpsaec89f4e.jpg

I will not eat ANY resident fish from the Columbia or Willamette.

M
montym
Mate, some more pics like this may make me a vegetarian!!

O
OnTheFly
I wouldn't even try to catch carp let alone eat one. I'd rather die of starvation.

M
montym
Just for the principle of the thing, I am getting tempted to stop eating trout.

T
TTFishon
Modest_Man said:
Yum!

Picture1_zpsaec89f4e.jpg

I will not eat ANY resident fish from the Columbia or Willamette.

I agree. lol

F
fishinmachine
While I would never eat any fish with the herp-a-lerp like in modest_mans pic. I learned from an old timer that if you havent tried it you can't say it sucks. Because of thhis feller I can tell you for sure that I absolutely dislike wild turkey kidney, liver, and heart. The gizzard was ok.

B
bagold53
fishinmachine said:
While I would never eat any fish with the herp-a-lerp like in modest_mans pic. I learned from an old timer that if you havent tried it you can't say it sucks. Because of thhis feller I can tell you for sure that I absolutely dislike wild turkey kidney, liver, and heart. The gizzard was ok.

I have to agree with the old feller, Can't knock it unless you've done it. Not interested in trying it, so can't really say much more.

Onto the Fish that poor guy needs to be checked out by a doctor, so that The community at large can have a better idea what is going into rivers. As a newer resident of Oregon I know of the 2 major contaminations. In the San Fran delta , were I am from, I have never see a fish like that but have heard of of it a couple times.

M
Modest_Man
bagold53 said:
I have to agree with the old feller, Can't knock it unless you've done it. Not interested in trying it, so can't really say much more.

Onto the Fish that poor guy needs to be checked out by a doctor, so that The community at large can have a better idea what is going into rivers. As a newer resident of Oregon I know of the 2 major contaminations. In the San Fran delta , were I am from, I have never see a fish like that but have heard of of it a couple times.

The fish wasn't checked out by a doctor, but it was checked out by microbiologists. It's a species of Myxobolus that they haven't seen before. (A well known myxosporean parasite is Myxobolus cerebralis, which causes whirling disease in fish.)

S
Stradic2000
Kill all carp, they threaten game fish populations.

T
troutmasta
Not true.

S
Stradic2000
Very true. Carp eat up the food that desirable game fish could be eating. They also cloud up the water, this ruins the shallow water sight fishing techniques for bass fisherman. The water clarity issue also makes it difficult for game fish to hunt visually, which reduces their growth, in other words this affects the size of the game fish. Most fisherman want big game fish, not bottom feeding, toxic avenger garbage suckers. The common and mirror carp are pigs of the water, eating everything in sight. In places like England, the lakes are completely infested with carp, so they resorted to eating them because.. well, there's just not much else to choose from when you're stuck with a bunch of carp lakes. Liver & onions and a side of carp & chips...

You want monster carp?...? Corn rigs or fly fishing, pretty limited and lame. They don't readily take a lure like other game fish will. I want giant bass, to get big bass you can't have tons of carp. Sure Tiger Muskie are problematic, they're sterile, aren't "good eatin", they devour everything that swims - including fingers n' toes, and like the carp, difficult to catch but atleast fishing for them is fun. Big lures, and the risk of losing an appendage. You can't beat that for freshwater fishing, it's the next best thing to having sharks in a lake.

"Anglers can find them in most low-elevation Wyoming waters. They’re harmful in small lakes and ponds because they root in the mud and cloud up the water. In bigger lakes and reservoirs they’re more of a nuisance than a genuine problem, Conder said."

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
And bass eat up the food that desirable, native gamefish could be eating.

Kill all bass, big and small.

We can do this for a while, eh?

S
Stradic2000
Nope. You can have thriving populations of big bass and big trout. Bass don't target trout eggs. Can't say the same for carp. When was the last time you saw a carp gulp down a bullfrog or baby duck? They don't. And neither do trout, well 99.9% atleast. Bass can be eating frogs, tadpoles, snakes, crawdads, bluegill/full grown panfish, shad, etc. While the trout in the same lake will mostly be feeding on insects/smaller food. They don't compete for the same foods. Bass and trout are completely compatible together, especially rainbow trout, char not as much. Suckers, carp, catfish, and panfish, are all threats to trout and bass eggs. The bigger the body of water the less of an issue all of this becomes...

The End.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Not the End.

Your opinion that bass are game fish that deserve to be here is just that, an opinion. They are invasive. I would rather catch a fat carp than a fat bass. Thats a game fish to me. Both are invasive, and both are opinons.

There are plenty of places that arent suitable for NATIVE game fish to live that are now full of INVASIVE bass, carp, etc. Where the only theat is to other invasive species.

Therefore Killing all carp beacause they are a theat to 'game' fish is not true. Some places yes, but some they are just another fish that doesn't belong there.

The End.

Now thats a game fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Stradic2000
No.

C
climbguy
After watching a couple videos on how to clean carp, I've been jonesing to catch one and try it out.
- getting a fillet
- deboning the fillet
- another fillet and deboning

Last Saturday the wife and I got an opportunity to try a lake about an hour north of Vancouver. We managed to catch our first carp.

No license required for carp fishing in Washington. We paddled a bit, dropping lines here and there then came across a bunch of them gulping air at the surface. Helps them survive when the oxygen levels get lower in the water. I tossed in a line, #4 hook baited with corn, and got a nibble. Re-baited the hook then tossed in again. My wife gets a fish and that’s when I realize I forgot the net at home. So I’m trying to help her get the fish landed when my reel starts spooling out. I have a fish on as well. My fish manages to break the leader (10lb test) so I go back to helping her get hers onto the boat.

Then the icky part of bleeding the fish out… Or was it the fisherman I’m supposed to bleed out? I cover both bases by cutting my finger while cutting the gills on the fish. While I’m waiting for the fish to expire in a bucket of water, I bandage up my finger before I start getting too light headed (I'm seeing a bright light at the end of the tunnel). Afterwards the fish is tossed onto ice in a cooler. Then, like a switch being thrown, no more bites the rest of the day. The fish weighed in at 7lbs. I didn’t measure it, probably two feet in length.

I cleaned and filleted the fish. Tried to debone it from what I could remember from the video. I need to watch it a few more times. Still got lots of bones. Cut away the red meat parts which are supposed to have the less desirable flavors and, for good measure, I put the cuts into a bowl of milk and lemon juice to marinade over night from a catfish video I saw to get rid of muddy tastes. It really didn’t seem like there was much left in the way of fillet meat, especially compared to the size of the fish.

For lunch the next day, I made a panko breading for the fish and fried the pieces up. With trepidation we tried them out and…. Wait for it…. Drum roll please…..

It was really good. No bad taste at all. And with my very limited fish pallet, I’ll go out on limb and say somewhere between cod and halibut in texture. There was enough to fill both my wife and I and there’s enough left over for a good lunch for the both of us today, so more than I thought. Did have to pick out a number of bones but wasn’t horrible. I would definitely try cooking one again.

I used about a half cup of panko breading, powdered garlic, about a teaspoon of potassium chloride (low salt diet), a pinch of basil, some paprika, and fresh ground pepper. Patted the fish dry, shook them in a bag of flour and then let sit in fridge for about 20 minutes. Dredged the pieces through two scrambled eggs in a pan and then dredged them through the panko mix before frying in oil (aimed for 375 degrees).

I've haven't done much fishing and would consider myself a rank amateur. Going after carp seemed like a nice way to try getting back into fishing.

F
Fishpdx
climbguy said:
After watching a couple videos on how to clean carp, I've been jonesing to catch one and try it out.
- getting a fillet
- deboning the fillet
- another fillet and deboning

Last Saturday the wife and I got an opportunity to try a lake about an hour north of Vancouver. We managed to catch our first carp.

No license required for carp fishing in Washington. We paddled a bit, dropping lines here and there then came across a bunch of them gulping air at the surface. Helps them survive when the oxygen levels get lower in the water. I tossed in a line, #4 hook baited with corn, and got a nibble. Re-baited the hook then tossed in again. My wife gets a fish and that’s when I realize I forgot the net at home. So I’m trying to help her get the fish landed when my reel starts spooling out. I have a fish on as well. My fish manages to break the leader (10lb test) so I go back to helping her get hers onto the boat.

Then the icky part of bleeding the fish out… Or was it the fisherman I’m supposed to bleed out? I cover both bases by cutting my finger while cutting the gills on the fish. While I’m waiting for the fish to expire in a bucket of water, I bandage up my finger before I start getting too light headed (I'm seeing a bright light at the end of the tunnel). Afterwards the fish is tossed onto ice in a cooler. Then, like a switch being thrown, no more bites the rest of the day. The fish weighed in at 7lbs. I didn’t measure it, probably two feet in length.

I cleaned and filleted the fish. Tried to debone it from what I could remember from the video. I need to watch it a few more times. Still got lots of bones. Cut away the red meat parts which are supposed to have the less desirable flavors and, for good measure, I put the cuts into a bowl of milk and lemon juice to marinade over night from a catfish video I saw to get rid of muddy tastes. It really didn’t seem like there was much left in the way of fillet meat, especially compared to the size of the fish.

For lunch the next day, I made a panko breading for the fish and fried the pieces up. With trepidation we tried them out and…. Wait for it…. Drum roll please…..

It was really good. No bad taste at all. And with my very limited fish pallet, I’ll go out on limb and say somewhere between cod and halibut in texture. There was enough to fill both my wife and I and there’s enough left over for a good lunch for the both of us today, so more than I thought. Did have to pick out a number of bones but wasn’t horrible. I would definitely try cooking one again.

I used about a half cup of panko breading, powdered garlic, about a teaspoon of potassium chloride (low salt diet), a pinch of basil, some paprika, and fresh ground pepper. Patted the fish dry, shook them in a bag of flour and then let sit in fridge for about 20 minutes. Dredged the pieces through two scrambled eggs in a pan and then dredged them through the panko mix before frying in oil (aimed for 375 degrees).

I've haven't done much fishing and would consider myself a rank amateur. Going after carp seemed like a nice way to try getting back into fishing.
Right on , I caught carp in clean clear water and they taste absolutely amazing. For smaller carp u can make small slices on the back to not feel the bones

C
climbguy
Managed to catch a carp in Vancouver lake yesterday, a nice 5 pounder. Cleaned and cooked it up in the same fashion as before but this time definitely not as good. It has that distinct muddy flavor that people talk about. Don't know if Lake River would be any better but would want to hold the lake caught fish in clean water for a week or so before eating. Maybe catching in the spring after it's had some good long rains for the winter would be better?
I did a better job with the filleting this time. Only one bone in the pieces I had and my wife found two.

Reactions: Fishpdx
Casting Call
Casting Call
DrTheopolis said:
First, get yourself a cedar plank.

Fillet the carp, put it on the cedar plank, and put it on the grill for about 30 minutes.

Then, feed the carp to the cat and eat the plank.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:ROTFLMAO

C
climbguy
The wife and I went fishing at Lake River yesterday in Felida (BTW $5/person to fish, $1 to park the car, $4 if you want to launch a boat). Hooked two carp, the first one got away. The second came in at 7lbs. Fried it up and not bad. Not sure if it was as good as the first one, but definitely a lot better than the second one I caught late last fall. I did not do the milk and lemon juice marinade. I'm sure that one was too soon after the algae blooms. No muddy taste this time in spite of the river and lake being pretty opaque. I'm always surprised at how little meat there seems to be compared to the fish carcass but how much there really is. My wife and I are stuffed and there's easily enough for another meal or two for the both of us. Only one or two small bones so far.

Now the one that got away... sit yourself down and let me tell you a tale almost unbelievable to imagine. There I was, holding the rod when it twitched, then again. I pulled gently and the line started rapidly spooling out. Fish was on! It would turn to shore and I'd reel in the slack only to have it run out the spool as it got close to shore. The minutes ticked by, I added some tightness to the drag and reeled in again as it came towards the shore. Waves from it's wake shook the nearby houseboats. It was a monster. It must have been 20 pounds or more as sure as the sun will rise in the east tomorrow, and as big as a young ox. Again, it got close and ran out, smoke drifting off the spool, the pole nearly breaking under the sudden strain! The minutes ticked by; Beads of sweat ran down forehead; My arms started shaking. Another pass at the shore and out it darted again when suddenly it broke free. I nearly flew backwards as the tension released. It broke the hook from the leader. Last I I saw was it's pectoral fin rise from the water, somehow shaped into a middle finger, then slowly sink back under the waves. It was gone. I tipped my cap and bade it farewell.

Last edited:
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal