Votes: 43 43.4%

• Total voters
N
ninja2010
tom is the resurrector...

F
fishhunter
ninja2010 said:
thanks for all your contributions, guys. it's been 5 days and it looks like drifting is the more effective method by a ratio of almost 2:1 based on the poll.

i've now tried both methods, and i've yet to interest a fish to bite - minor point.

anyhooo, i'm liking the bobber a lot better compared to drifting, coz:
a) i could fish all kinds of water; fast, slow, deep, shallow, etc.
b) i definitely do not lose as much gear
c) i can rig up anything under the bobber
d) i can cast more accurately (more weight)
e) i'm sure i can detect the bite easier (bobber down - no brainer)

so with all these factors, i'm definitely building more confidence in this method.

question is, if i keep fishing the bobber, will i be cutting my chances of getting bites since drifting seems to work so much better?

p.s. if any of you bobber guys want to share some tips/pointers, please let me know. i'd like to master this technique better.

Couldn't of put it better myself.:clap:I was a serious drifter but not no more.:shock:

O
OnTheFly
Drift/Bobber

Drift/Bobber

Well Jimmy, your casting rods are prolly collecting dust by now but, for what it's worth, I'll add to this subject. I've always used the drifting method and always thought it was the most effective way until I watched a TV program called Fishing The West with Larry Schoenborn. Many of you may remember it. Anyhoot it was Larry and the late Jim Bradbury down on the Clack somewhere above Cazadero and they where using Jim's claim to fame bobber and maribou jigs. (BTW Jim was an avid fly fisherman but his bobber/jig thing put him on the market) Using about a ten foot rod, a spinning reel, and 8# test mono, he would sling bobber and jig just about to Colton! On the show he told Larry "It's not IF I will catch a steelhead, it's how FAR AWAY I can catch one" They both nailed summer steelies throughout the show with the camera man catching a couple bobber down on film. It was impressive. I got as far as purchasing a Bradbury bobber and jig but I never put it to the test myself. Both methods, In my opinion work equally.

Last edited:
F
fishndad
man this is a great question, im an equal oppertunist lol and i believe these two are somewhat equal. i fish both and they both produce on the water! im an ol school kinda guy so i give the drift an edge but for someone who is beggining i have to say start with a jig and bobber!

O
OneMore
can't believe this thread it back around but I guess I'll add to it. I started out my steelhead fishing with bobber and jig. Now i did catch some fish with this method but it wasn't till I started drift fishing that I really started catching fish. Now this could have something to do with me being a sucky bobber fisherman. It also I think has a little to do with my childhood fishing. We always fished trout in small streams using just split shot and single eggs. When it comes down to it we were really drift fishing so I think I had a head start drift fishing for steelhead. Choose for your self as I am pretty sure they are both productive methods of fishing.

C
Cohosanders
Bobber
I like the thrill of bobber down. It is a rush that gets the adrenaline pumping and then set that hook and the old ticker really starts going if you have a FISH ON!!!! For steelhead it is amazing how many time a bobber can go down w/out being able to set the hook. With salmon it is almost instant hook set.

Drifting
Once you are able to tell the difference between a bite from a fish and a bump from the bottom is can be just as exiting as bobber fishing. It is a little easier to drift on smaller or tighter river areas. If you get hung up it is also easier to reetrieve your set up.

They are both fun.I am on the fence on this one. They are of equal interest to me.

T
Troutier Bassier
Matthew C has somenice Bobber videos.

Youtube "3oz Bobber Rig"

O
osmosis
better yet, google pacific ghost productions.

T
Troutier Bassier
That too

F
Flymstr
Bobber or drift

Bobber or drift

Fly Fishing is the way to go!!:D
But I do drift with my fly rod a lot.:( :think: :shock:

T
Troutier Bassier
I got a bobber rod and A drift rod. I take the Bobber rod to big rivers. and the drift rod to smaller cricks.

N
ninja2010
Flymstr said:
But I do drift with my fly rod a lot.:( :think: :shock:

flymstr... if that different from swinging? do you just weigh down the tippet with shots and let that bounce?

G
GDBrown
It may be bobber for me now

It may be bobber for me now

I have always bee a drifter until I started reading this forum. I saw some jigs in Bi-Mart a few weeks ago and thought I'd give them a try. I lost the first one in a tree before it ever hit the water! Later I tried again and caught a Big Chinook on the Kilches within 15 minutes of getting the jig wet....:dance::clap: Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks, I think I'll try again after New Years maybe I can catch a steelhead this time.

GD

B
beaverfan
I just tried a jig under bobber for the first time this past week and let me tell you I freakin love it! I plan on doing a ton of it this winter.

R
rainbowfisherman
Im going try it on the alsea soon. Seems like its a good way for begginers because u can actully see the bite and it sounds like it catches a lot of fish:dance::clap:

Y
youngbuck307
wow didn't know that many people were just now starting to use jigs..... GDBrown what color did that nook hit?

S
steelhead_stalkers
I think I am going to try floats and jigs a little more this winter. :lol:

O
OneMore
steelhead_stalkers said:
I think I am going to try floats and jigs a little more this winter. :lol:

Good luck with that jigs dont work!;)

B
beaverfan
I just went and bought like ten new jigs. Several brands and styles. Gonna try to find what I like. Steelhead Stalkers you can expect a decent order from me in the next week or so.

S
Salmonhungry
Well ninja2010, it's been a year... what's your outcome? You get Steel by way of jig or drift?

I swing both ways myself...:rolleyes::rolleyes: I always have both poles with me. It's all about the water. Depends on how low/high, rocky or deep.