Do common carp ever come without barbels?

R

radiationalley

Hi Guys! I haven't done a ton of carp fishing, and I'm really only just starting to really love it... But today, I caught three smaller-sized carp which looked like a lighter colored common carp, but they didn't have any barbels. I checked online, and they don't appear to be grass or asian carp, as the physical characteristics do not seem to add up. In any case, I was just curious if these were some kind of hybrid, or maybe a weird kind of common?

Thanks!

Also, please excuse my stupid grin.

Attachments

• IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3150.jpg
    IMG_3150.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 167
U

universalfishermatt

Where'd ya fish those out of?? Iv caught one bigger carp that had missing whiskers. I think they got a fresh wax not even a day ago.

E

eugene1

Perhaps juvenile carp don't have them yet?

Just an idea.

Keep on carpin'!

E

eugene1

OK! gotcha,

Not sure,

L

lizardman

could it be like aquarium catfish (cory cats) where if the substrate (bottom of tank, or in this case pond, lake, or river) is rough they wear down their whiskers as they search for food?

M

Modest_Man

Carp have barbels, goldfish do not. You've caught the common goldfish in it's "wild type" coloration.

I

igquick

@radiationalley I think they are crucian carps. I am totally assuming but I think I know where you are fishing at, and there are some beasts in there. Most of the time I catch the typical 5 lbers but every once in a while a beast will turn up.

M

MikePierce170

Well whatever you do make sure you release them with a fatal wound.

I

igquick

Well whatever you do make sure you release them with a fatal wound.

Didn't you shoot a small mirror once and it was still alive baking in the sun for two hours?

M

MikePierce170

Didn't you shoot a small mirror once and it was still alive baking in the sun for two hours?

Yes lol. And the b@stard even swam off when I put him back. I'm sure he didn't make it the next day though :)

I

igquick

How many mirrors have u shot?

U

universalfishermatt

That's so terrible

T

troutmasta

Yes lol. And the b@stard even swam off when I put him back. I'm sure he didn't make it the next day though :)
If youre gonna kill it fine, dont leave it rot in the water, take it home and chop it with your axe or something.

M

MikePierce170

If youre gonna kill it fine, dont leave it rot in the water, take it home and chop it with your axe or something.

Hey I wasn't torturing the poor thing. I put it in a shallow pool of water so it could still breathe while I was out slaughtering his relatives. And chopping them with an axe is quite effective lol

How many mirrors have u shot?

Only a few. I would really love to shoot a 20+ pound mirror just to make John Montana cry on the inside ;)

I

igquick

lol this guy...

G

goodie619

No Title

the yonger ones don't have them some time. this one had only ONE..

Attachments

• photo30964.jpg
    photo30964.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 79
S

sportsmanlio

It's a goldfish/common carp hybrid. They're pretty common where both species swim. I catch them every now and them at Fern Ridge. You can count lateral line scales to confirm.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 74
O

OGcarper

sportsmanlio;n608641 said:
It's a goldfish/common carp hybrid. They're pretty common where both species swim. I catch them every now and them at Fern Ridge. You can count lateral line scales to confirm.

That’s a crusian carp I’m pretty sure

Top Bottom