Detroit lake trout fishing

T
troutpaws
New to forum...

Making a family trip in May. Have not been there since I was a little kid.. How is the fishing for trout in May. Used to fish from the banks and clean up.. Will be shore and boat fishing.. with little kids and hoping they have as much good luck as I did way back when::

B
bigsteel
the fishing should be descent around certain areas,,,,there not gonna fill the dam to normal levels this year and theres nada for snow so its gonna be a fairly low year at detroit i believe.they do have a new boat ramp thats lower down so you can launch in low water

L
Left Bank
Welcome to the forum Troutpaws, looks like they will have stocked Detroit with over 60,000 trout by early May. Here's to wishing that they will have as great a memory of the lake as you do. I plan on making it out there a few times myself starting in May and June.

troutdude
troutdude
For banking it, I'd try Rainbow Power Bait off the bottom. Or, better yet, Green & Orange combo Power Eggs. They're way less messy, and stay on a LONG time!

For boating, I'd troll a Ford Fender flasher set, with a wedding ring spinner tipped w/ a worm. Or, for larger 'bows (or salmon) try draggin' a brass colored Little Cleo wobbler, Kastmaster, Needlefish, or a Rapala Minnow.

Ford Fender / Doc Shelton, 3' of leader, and a plain worm also should produce.

And, if you haven't yet tried a green top/ black bottomed Wedding Ring and worm...watchout! It's deadly on Green Peter and Foster!

P.S. Welcome to OFF. Glad to have ya!

T
troutpaws
Thanks for the info.... When I was a little kid my grandfather and I used cheese , white corn, worms.. is cheese and white corn still allowed to be used as bait?

T
troutpaws
Funny thing is have not thought about fishing detroit in ages and my boys found a photo of me as a kid with a string of trout... Now they want to go

T
Throbbit _Shane
Worms is my goto bait. If its not working ill switch to powerbait and other things in my tackle box :D

Good luck at detroit, and welcome to the forum :)

troutdude
troutdude
As far as I know, corn, cheese and worms are all legal...where bait fishing is allowed. But, you might want to look it up, for Detroit, just to be sure.

G
Got One!
I saw the news up there last week I think. Wow was it low, the marina up by detroit was 100 or so yards away from the water. If they dump all those fish in there, it should be easy pickens! Just be careful if you do get a boat in the water, for tree stumps.

C
capblack
Throbbit _Shane said:
Worms is my goto bait. If its not working ill switch to powerbait and other things in my tackle box :D

Good luck at detroit, and welcome to the forum :)
worms are always a good choice, but the problem with using them in a lake for bottom fishing is you have to blow them up, and that takes a whole worm. otherwise your under a bobber, or trying a corkie, or something else to float it up off the bottom. If you put a piece of worm on your hook and let it sit on the bottom, youll be fighting catfish and whitefish all day long at Detroit. Thats why everyone uses power bait, or MUCH better yet, power eggs. check them out, Brian

T
troutpaws
" Got One!" That Marina on the edge of detroit ? I would think that was a good money maker for the summer time and they would want it afloat.. But with low snow fall this year who knows.
For this first trip planning on a 13' inflateable with 10hp and a 16' Kayak.. I know of the tree stumps would go lure hunting after they lowered the lake in the winter when I was a little kid.

If anyone gets info on water levels as we get closer to the month of May pls let me know.. Father is a little unsteady on his feet and would like him to be able to fish too..

Thanks everyone for your replys.

troutdude
troutdude
Berkley's Power Eggs are AWESOME! They taste the same as Power Bait to the fish. They come in the same colors, and even additional colors. They float just like Power Bait. But, they are BETTER in FOUR remarkable ways.

One, you won't have messy / smelly hands like you do with rolling power bait up. Two, they stay on your hook longer; so you catch more fish. (Power Bait just gets nibbled off all of the time, without catching the fish that's doing it). Three, you won't have to spend time re-rigging because the fish stole your power bait (i.e. your line will be in the water more of the time and increasing your catch ratio). Four, since the Power Eggs stay on longer--you SPEND LESS MONEY on "bait"!

You wont' go wrong, if you use (or switch to) using Berkley's Power Eggs...I guarantee it!!!

C
capblack
troutdude, you should be on an infomercial:clap::clap: sounds like you have interest in berkleys

troutdude
troutdude
I do not own any stock in any company at all.

I'm merely trying to show folks how to catch a lot of trout! I've been fishing for about 45 years, and have used dozens of methods. And the one that I described is the best that I have found to date.

And if I really had an "interest" in Berkley...why would I tell peeps to switch from Power Bait to the Eggs. I don't have to buy nearly as many jars of Power Eggs as I do Power Bait. So, I save MONEY! And everyone else can too.

Does that really sound like I'm trying to "pitch" Berkley products; if the company LOSES sales and that revenue? I think not! SHEESH!

Please think before you leap to conclusions.

Guess maybe I will just STOP trying to help others on OFF, with my experience and suggestions!!!

Last edited:
C
capblack
troutdude said:
I do not own any stock in any company at all.

I'm merely trying to show folks how to catch a lot of trout! I've been fishing for about 45 years, and have used dozens of methods. And the one that I described is the best that I have found to date.

And if I really had an "interest" in Berkley...why would I tell peeps to switch from Power Bait to the Eggs. I don't have to buy nearly as many jars of Power Eggs as I do Power Bait. So, I save MONEY! And everyone else can too.

Does that really sound like I'm trying to "pitch" Berkley products; if the company LOSES sales and that revenue? I think not! SHEESH!

Please think before you leap to conclusions.

Guess maybe I will just STOP trying to help others on OFF, with my experience and suggestions!!!
troutdude, I was joking.
youll learn not to take me very serious, I appreciate all the good advice your giving, just like the next guy. Youll notice in all the threads, Ive totally agreed with you on the power eggs. theyre great. Brian

troutdude
troutdude
OK. Sorry. Guess I misread that. Hard to tell sometimes, since I can't see ya. :doh:

Thanks for the clarification. :D

Happy trails and tight lines,

TD

Q
qwapaw
troutdude, I heard on the radio yesterday that Detroit is one of the lakes that the corps of engineers don't think will fill up this year because of the lack of rain and snow. You may find some long dry shore line. Fishing from the dam is always pretty good up there if you don't mind reeling the fish up 20-30 ft. It will be a nice trip if nothing else and the upper end will still be good fishing I think. I have had good luck with worm and bobber from the dam in the past. Hope you do well, looking forward to a good report. Tight Lines, Dan