Cleaning Fish in Lake

C
critterbob
I recently went out with a guide in California, and he cleaned the fish in the lake and discarded the carcasses in the lake.

Was nice to do that while on the boat and working the way back to shore...kills two birds since you are just riding back anyway.

Is this legal to do in Oregon?

thanks
 
C
critterbob
I found this in the regulations - seems to be ok if in same lake - which it would be

14. Disposing of a fish carcass into waters other than where the fish was caught. Anglers must retain enough of the carcass to identify the size, species and any fin clip.
 
Irishrover
Irishrover
Was just about to print that for you. A few years back it was illegal, then ODF&W figured out it was a good thing.
 
C
critterbob
Irishrover said:
Was just about to print that for you. A few years back it was illegal, then ODF&W figured out it was a good thing.
Thanks for the follow up. Appreciate it!
 
P
pcstock
You cannot mutilate a fish in your boat. In Oregon, you MUST "retain enough of the carcass to identify the size, species and any fin clip". So if you clean on the boat and dump the carcass you are asking for a citation. Doing so would be a great way to keep "wild" fish you are not allowed to take.
 
C
critterbob
@pcstock - I only filet each side keeping intact the skin, and the fins on the skin. Where do you find a regulation about mutilation? interesting choice of words :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Irishrover
Irishrover
The quote is from page 17 of the ODF&W regulations. If one follows the language of the regulation there should be no problem. We were quite pleased when the rule was changed. It allowed us to bleed and gut our salmon out on the ocean and fill the cavity with ice. Sometimes it could be a slow day out there and icing kept the fish in much better condition.

The regulation is pretty clear that fin clips must be preserved. All in all it's a good regulation.

"Disposing of a fish carcass into waters other than where the fish was caught. Anglers must retain enough of the carcass to identify the size, species and any fin clip."
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chromatose
C
critterbob
Irishrover said:
The quote is from page 17 of the ODF&W regulations. If one follows the language of the regulation there should be no problem. We were quite pleased when the rule was changed. It allowed us to bleed and gut our salmon out on the ocean and fill the cavity with ice. Sometimes it could be a slow day out there and icing kept the fish in much better condition.

The regulation is pretty clear that fin clips must be preserved. All in all it's a good regulation.

"Disposing of a fish carcass into waters other than where the fish was caught. Anglers must retain enough of the carcass to identify the size, species and any fin clip."
Irish, I read the regulation. I only fish kokanee so to my knowledge there is not a concern about keeping any wild fish. I keep the fins intact anyway. My question was really about the discarding of the carcass in the lake. I am not concerned about being able to identify the fish. I don't enjoy eating trout so even if I catch one, I release it.
 
Diehard
Diehard
pcstock said:
You cannot mutilate a fish in your boat. In Oregon, you MUST "retain enough of the carcass to identify the size, species and any fin clip". So if you clean on the boat and dump the carcass you are asking for a citation. Doing so would be a great way to keep "wild" fish you are not allowed to take.
Wrong again
 
Irishrover
Irishrover
critterbob, Kokanee yes a great fish! The fin clip comment was for any salmon fishers that might by chance read this thread. Tight Lines.
 
P
pcstock
Diehard said:
Wrong again
OK. If you want to clean a fish in your boat, bring the fillets and carcass to the dock, load up the fish in your vehicle, then dump the carcass... sure.

The identification part is not for the angler but for any ODFW, OSP or other to inspect.

Bleed and gut on a boat? Sure. Thats what all salmon anglers do.

Come back with fillets only? Citation.

The OP's experience as written in the first post in NOT legal in Oregon.
 
Diehard
Diehard
Your wrong we can agree to disagree
 
Diehard
Diehard
pcstock said:
OK. If you want to clean a fish in your boat, bring the fillets and carcass to the dock, load up the fish in your vehicle, then dump the carcass... sure.

The identification part is not for the angler but for any ODFW, OSP or other to inspect.

Bleed and gut on a boat? Sure. Thats what all salmon anglers do.

Come back with fillets only? Citation.

The OP's experience as written in the first post in NOT legal in Oregon.
Do you even fish šŸ¤£
 
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I think 'pcstock' has it correct.

On the water, you can bleed and gut fish, returning the guts to the water where the fish was caught. I do this on my kayak for my salmon, into my hold/cold bag, and then complete the filleting at home.

But once you have finished fishing and are OFF the water, I think you can fillet your fish at the launch or near the water, load the fillets into your vehicle and then return the carcass to the water because at that time, when you have 'left the field', OSP and ODFW have had the opportunity to verify your catch.

critterbob said:
I found this in the regulations - seems to be ok if in same lake - which it would be

14. Disposing of a fish carcass into waters other than where the fish was caught. Anglers must retain enough of the carcass to identify the size, species and any fin clip.

Note about 14. above, that is in the regs under "The Following Activities are Unlawful" and that's why the wording in the first sentence is the way it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Diehard and pcstock
P
pcstock
That is my interpretation as well. But do what you want on your boat. I was just trying to clarify.
  • Carcass: The entrails, gills, head, skin, fins and backbone of a fish.
 
troutdude
troutdude
pcstock said:
The OP's experience as written in the first post in NOT legal in Oregon.
100% correct IMO
 
C
Cohobolo
critterbob said:
I recently went out with a guide in California, and he cleaned the fish in the lake and discarded the carcasses in the lake.

Was nice to do that while on the boat and working the way back to shore...kills two birds since you are just riding back anyway.

Is this legal to do in Oregon?

thanks
I contacted the state some years back with this question. The answer was that you must return to the launch and be done fishing for the day before processing (beyond field dressing) your fish. The state encourages anglers to return carcasses, etc. to the water body where they were caught, but it's not allowed to just dump them at the ramp or public use area. I clean my fish at the dock or shore when I'm done fishing and motor out a ways to dump and rinse my bucket. Much better than tossing carcasses in the trash at home.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Diehard

Similar threads

troutdude
Replies
0
Views
547
troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Replies
7
Views
913
hobster
hobster
Jahhn
Replies
11
Views
4K
troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Replies
3
Views
839
Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Hunter Cords
Replies
10
Views
380
Casting Call
Casting Call
Top Bottom