Dangerous McKenzie log jam!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Just a heads up for all you McKenzie River floaters. I just read a report this morning about a couple of logs blocking much of the river at Martens Rapids. The guide that was interviewed said it is pretty bad. He suggests "putting in between Blue River and Leaburg; pull out at Ben & Kate Dorris Park or go below at Prince Helfrich". I have absolutely no idea where any of those places are but will trust you all to know. If you don't recognize the names and plan to float any craft in the river,get a map. I really don't want to hear about any tragedies down there this weekend. Please be careful this weekend no matter where you go. Be safe.
Barb

T
TTFishon
Thanks for the heads up. That's a very popular area. Your post brings back a fine memory of me rafting through Martens Rapid in a cheap raft. I lost most of my beer and tore a big hole in the bottom of my raft.

H
Hawk
losing cold beer hurts a lot................................har.har.hohoho...................................:lol::lol::lol:.................................:cool::cool::cool:

ThankYou fer the Important Report Sister Barb...........................:)

S
specreck
Raincatcher said:
Just a heads up for all you McKenzie River floaters. I just read a report this morning about a couple of logs blocking much of the river at Martens Rapids. The guide that was interviewed said it is pretty bad. He suggests "putting in between Blue River and Leaburg; pull out at Ben & Kate Dorris Park or go below at Prince Helfrich". I have absolutely no idea where any of those places are but will trust you all to know. If you don't recognize the names and plan to float any craft in the river,get a map. I really don't want to hear about any tragedies down there this weekend. Please be careful this weekend no matter where you go. Be safe.
Barb

Saw that on the news last night, thanks for the warning..... would do me good if I even knew where that was at or if I had a drift boat...oh well....back to banking it!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Map time

Map time

Just be safe...:pray:
Barb

J
JeannaJigs
TTFishon said:
Thanks for the heads up. That's a very popular area. Your post brings back a fine memory of me rafting through Martens Rapid in a cheap raft. I lost most of my beer and tore a big hole in the bottom of my raft.
LOL I had a similar experience in a sevylor yellow "2 person" (You really get to know the other person if you go two at a time in those things) raft. It wasn't so much designed for river use, much less marten's. Thank god for PFD's.

Thanks Barb for the info, I don't have a tv and don't get the paper only when I'm at work, so, I wouldn't have seen this, and I'm sure other people are the same. I know exactly where those put ins and take outs are. I would never take my 'toon through martens lol, but, it's good to know this stuff to let others know. I'm going to go bank fish up near there. Thinking about planning a float next month to test my 'toon on the mighty mac :D big difference between the tame Siuslaw and the Mac. People should really get a map of that river if they're not familiar with it before floating it, it's really quite a dangerous river.