Coho fishing spots on Sandy

C
Coho Kid
Mike123 said:
I can't stand people who call themselves "fishermen" and the only type of "fishing" they know how to do is line/floss/snag with corky and yarn.. I see so much of it going on. People claiming the fish bit just cause it's hooked in the "face." If your gonna snag/floss/line then just admit it that your a flosser. lol.. dont try to sugar coat it.

I do actually fish corky and yarn and get actual bites. I don't floss though using 9ft leaders, I use 30 to 44 inch leaders and scent which provokes the strike. I actually tie yarn patterns that resemble roe and fish a corky on top to provide better driftability. The flossers you mentioned suck to fish with because they foul hook 99% of the fish and burn the holes. I have stopped fishing CC because of guys like Shane who foul hook 30 fish a day, get bored keep his last 3 and leave once the entire hole full of fish has been hooked and spooked.

M
Mike123
Coho Kid said:
I do actually fish corky and yarn and get actual bites. I don't floss though using 9ft leaders, I use 30 to 44 inch leaders and scent which provokes the strike. I actually tie yarn patterns that resemble roe and fish a corky on top to provide better driftability. The flossers you mentioned suck to fish with because they foul hook 99% of the fish and burn the holes. I have stopped fishing CC because of guys like Shane who foul hook 30 fish a day, get bored keep his last 3 and leave once the entire hole full of fish has been hooked and spooked.

Yea I'm not saying I don't drift fish corky and yarn, cause I do a lot. I just dislike all the people that clog up popular spots that brag about how many fish they get by flossing them. I hear ya and agree with ya.

B
bigdog
kirkster said:
That looks like bigdog on the cover trying to cross the river:lol:
Hey bite me that is me you just wish it was you. :lol:

And everyone this is what I have been talking about, every dang thread on here leads to people complaining about flossers/snaggers I'm not condoning it but why must it come up all the time. It is said over and over, this horse is never going to cross the finish line folks it's dead stop beating it before every thread on the board gets closed because they all lead to this topic. Seems like the more the forum grows the more I see this topic coming up, can we please try to go back to the way this forum was when I joined, informative and friendly.

Ok my rant is over now get out there and get some fish all ready.

CJ

S
Slash
bigdog said:

And everyone this is what I have been talking about, every dang thread on here leads to people complaining about flossers/snaggers I'm not condoning it but why must it come up all the time. It is said over and over, this horse is never going to cross the finish line folks it's dead stop beating it before every thread on the board gets closed because they all lead to this topic. Seems like the more the forum grows the more I see this topic coming up, can we please try to go back to the way this forum was when I joined, informative and friendly.

CJ

I agree completely. I'm new to the forum and I thought this forum is for getting friendly information/advice,helping people,opinion on gear,technique,fishing spots ect. Not a (B) section. So with that said, on thur. evening about 430 pm at dodge park there was a lot of fish hung up there rolling . 3 nice looking coho were caught there in about 1hr after i got there. luckily for the fish my reel broke lol and i can't fish with a casting reel to save my life.

Last edited:
B
bigdog
Slash said:
i can't fish with a casting reel to save my life.

It takes time to get use to a caster but when you do you will love it. Try starting out with really heavy weight and work your way down to what you normally use. I started going out with just my caster and forced myself to get use to it and I love using it now. Also you need to more lob your line out there and not snap the wrist when you are casting it like you do with a spinner. Also need to lightly rest your thumb on the spool while casting to control the back lash. Takes some getting use to but more then worth it in the end. The fight and the control of the fish is so much better. Hope this helps you out with that.

CJ

F
fishingfreak
bigdog said:
It takes time to get use to a caster but when you do you will love it. Try starting out with really heavy weight and work your way down to what you normally use. I started going out with just my caster and forced myself to get use to it and I love using it now. Also you need to more lob your line out there and not snap the wrist when you are casting it like you do with a spinner. Also need to lightly rest your thumb on the spool while casting to control the back lash. Takes some getting use to but more then worth it in the end. The fight and the control of the fish is so much better. Hope this helps you out with that.

CJ

Big Dog is absolutely 100% correct I am getting used to my 2 new baitcasters. I had to use 3 times the amount of lead to cast without backlashing to get the hang of them. I caught a few on them Yesterday and they work awesome. What I did that worked for me is heavy weight, turned the casting control knob almost all the way tight, casted out a few times and turned the knob an 1/8 of a turn until I was casting consistant. I am hooked on bait casting now. The control and ergonomics are great. I can't wait to catch the coastal 20 to 50lbers on them cause the spinning reels just are to hard to control the huge guys. I had to run, open the spool, I could not stop them for nothing on a spinning reel. It was twice as hard. If it wasn't for some nice boaters netting for me I would have never landed some of the bigger Fall Nooks I caught this year.

FF

S
Slash
bigdog said:

CJ

thx for the advice. I just dont have the time to learn how to perfect my abu garcia ambassadeur 5500c3 reel. Dont ask me why i even bought it 10+ years ago :wall:

B
bigdog
Slash said:
thx for the advice. I just dont have the time to learn how to perfect my abu garcia ambassadeur 5500c3 reel. Dont ask me why i even bought it 10+ years ago :wall:

You always have the time, take it with you and a spinner with you spend about a hour (Or until you can't take it anymore or need a new spool of line witch ever comes first) and then switch over to your spinner and get down to some fishing. You will have it down in no time and you will thank yourself for doing so.

CJ

S
Slash
bigdog said:
You always have the time, take it with you and a spinner with you spend about a hour (Or until you can't take it anymore or need a new spool of line witch ever comes first) and then switch over to your spinner and get down to some fishing. You will have it down in no time and you will thank yourself for doing so.

CJ

ok done!

B
bernduffy
And use mono at first so you can more easily clear the inevitable bird's nests. Much harder (and debilitating) with braid.

B
bigdog
bernduffy said:
And use mono at first so you can more easily clear the inevitable bird's nests. Much harder (and debilitating) with braid.

:lol: This x's 4 :lol:

kirkster
kirkster
bigdog said:

CJ

I dont think anyone could get a pic of me crossing a river cause I do it in the pitch dark. LOL

kirkster
kirkster
bernduffy said:

A good secret when you first are learning your bait caster. Start out by pulling as much line off the real as far as a normal cast plus 10 xtra feet. Now take some scotch tape and wrap it around the line on the spool. Not much one wrap will do it. Now real in the line that you first pulled off. So when a backlash does happen its not the entire spool.much faster to untangle, and if it can't be untagled it only has to be cut to the tape.

T
troutzyk
the part of this thread on the baitcaster tips is for me. i gave up on trying to use mine last year when it would frustrate me and i would just want to fish instead of untangling line.. so use heavier weight, lobbier cast, start it cranked down then loosen and scotch tape..probably going to start using again. thanks guys

M
Mike123
Anyone know about camp namanu area? Can you fish it? This is below Dodge Park a little ways.

B
bigdog
Mike123 said:
Anyone know about camp namanu area? Can you fish it? This is below Dodge Park a little ways.

I know there are private property signs everywhere.

F
fishingfreak
Mike123 said:

There have been 12 $1500 tickets handed out to fisherman for trespassing down below Dodge in the last 30 days by OSP reports I have read. They have video surveillance and trail cams on the private property. I would not attempt going down there myself.

FF

S
Slash
fishingfreak said:
There have been 12 $1500 tickets handed out to fisherman for trespassing down below Dodge in the last 30 days by OSP reports I have read. They have video surveillance and trail cams on the private property. I would not attempt going down there myself.

FF

Thats some crazy sh@t !

B
bigdog
Thats a lot of tackle.

Irishrover
Irishrover
"There have been 12 $1500 tickets handed out to fisherman for trespassing down below Dodge in the last 30 days by OSP reports I have read. They have video surveillance and trail cams on the private property. I would not attempt going down there myself." Fishingfreak

If you stick to the river and stay below the high water mark you'll have no trouble. The trouble occures when folks go away from the river and hit the trails. You can from Dodge Park wade down river hit the island go past the pipeline hole wade down river and hit the girlscout hole. Just stick to the river. By the way Camp Namanu is 550 some acres owned by the Camp Fire girls not the Girl Scouts. I'll buy all the Girl Scout cookies they can bake but I won't give a dime to the Camp Fire Girls as long as they want to play hard ball with Sandy River fisherman.:mad:

Last edited: