Coho and/or chinook bank fishing?

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
The Siuslaw and Alsea are the coastal rivers closest to me. I'm somewhat familiar with each river from previous bank fishing efforts. There are many access points to the river between Mapleton and Whiteaker. Can it be fished from the bank for coho/chinook with any reasonable hope of success?

It's pretty much the same question for the Alsea, except that I'm only familiar with the upper portion of the Alsea and North Fork. From Five Rivers and higher, I'm aware of several places that can be bank fished. Any hope of fishing there, or would it be better to try closer to the bay? I'm still pretty new at this and only want to maximize my chances for success.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
The runs haven't yet begun. It takes rain, and cooler temperatures, to bring them in. So you won't yet find them out of the saltwater.

P.S. Welcome to OFF!

maxwyatt
maxwyatt
Yup. I'm waiting for the rains. Patiently, I might add. I'm in no hurry for summer to end. Just planning a head and trying to do some research.

Reactions: troutdude
C
cobias
Go to Florence and the bank spot on rhododendron drive . Cast crippled herring spoons or brads cut plug ( tuna filled ) with weight . You can get a good chromer there if you are willing to put in the time and casts . Go at the start of incoming tide and fish until outgoing starts .

Reactions: maxwyatt and troutdude
maxwyatt
maxwyatt
cobias said:
Go to Florence and the bank spot on rhododendron drive . Cast crippled herring spoons or brads cut plug ( tuna filled ) with weight . You can get a good chromer there if you are willing to put in the time and casts . Go at the start of incoming tide and fish until outgoing starts .

Thanks, I'll try that. I've never used cut plugs, could be interesting.