Clean your fish at home-or do it on the bank?

M
metalfisher76
Rascal said:
the rule could be there because if every time some one caught one of those stocker trout they threw the carcass in the river you might have a problem especially in a slow moving lake

so i think it should be illegal for trout but salmon and steelhead makes sense to clean it in the river, because they would die there any way... and i was reading a sign at the clackamas fish hatchery and it say they take some of the extra nook they get each year and just dump em dead in the river for nutrients lol

Kalama R. hatchery does that too.
ODFW does this crap all the time. From the book page 8 General Restrictions, the following activities are UNLAWFUL: #15. Dispose of dead animal (fish) carcasses, or parts thereof, in Oregon waters.
But then you turn to page 9 under game fish- freshwater unlawful to: 4. Remove eggs from any salmon, steelhead or sturgeon without retaining the carcass
while in the field;
5. Possess in the field game fish dressed or mutilated so that size, species or fin clip
cannot be determined until the angler has reached their automobile or principle
means of land transportation and has completed their daily angling;

M
mlw
I'm with Kodiak, etc, and would sign that petition too. Particularly salmon and steelhead bring nutrients from the ocean - trace minerals that are not "local", and definitely beneficial. More decaying carcasses means more bugs, bigger trout. I think Thuggin explained it, some folks left unsightly messes at popular lakes and the rule got wrote, but needs to go. They can post signs at the few spots it would be a problem.
Michael

M
Mike123
Anatoliy said:
As far as I know not all states have such a rule. Regarding "I'm with Kodiak on this one"... Don't get me wrong, I'd rather fillet fish on a bank instead of creating a bloody mess in my kitchen. :lol: And then the carcass stinks in a garbage can for days... But as long as there is such a rule in Oregon, I'll keep doing it how the rule says, and will suggest others, too. ;)

Yea ODFW actually tosses dead salmon on the banks in some rivers.. I don't understand the reasoning behind the rules. Maybe it's so there isn't a huge stinky mess that dumb people would leave on the banks. I know that all the left overs feed crayfish, trout, smolt and add nutrients so don't see why it's illegal. I never do it cause I'm too lazy. I have heard a rumor that the reason is because they don't want skeins dumped in the river that are from hatchery fish, because they don't want native bucks fertilizing them. That's just what someone told me... who knows.

F
fishtales
I amaze myself sometimes. Like here reading the posts above me. I personally concentrate so hard sometime trying to do whats right, obey the law ect... then I read that ODFW does this stuff that I can't do. Is it legal for them to do it since they are ODFW or what?? I don't think I am missing the point here. It just not right or it is right which one is it.

Keep it going. Very interesting stuff here.

Admin
Admin
fishtales said:
ODFW does this stuff that I can't do. Is it legal for them to do it since they are ODFW or what?? I don't think I am missing the point here. It just not right or it is right which one is it.
Don't quote me on that because I don't have any education in this area, I'm just using common sense and the info posted by OFFers in this thread. But it seems to me that this rule exist not to protect rivers from carcasses (which probably is a good for rivers). The rule protects native fish (when it's illegal) from being caught and filleted on the bank. How can an officer identify a fillet? ;)

However if that's the reason, the goal could be achieved by making us keep a piece of the back of the fish that has the clipped fin instead of a whole corpse.

But then again, if that's the reason, why would they make it illegal to gut fish on a bank? Fish without guts still has a fin on it's back, right? ;)

I guess we are missing a crucial piece of information, so the rule looks like nonsense to us.

M
Moe
I am gonna call and find out....

Admin
Admin
M
Moe
I tried the main number but got AT & T service or somethin like that, I'll try the other number.

M
Moe
I got " they don't want (the biologist) indiscrimanent parts of fish and guts around the bank"

B
beaverfan
Kodiak said:
We've been around this bush before. It mainly has to do with the non-angler locals in PDX peaved about fish guts. Also they can't enforce clipped/non-clipped fish laws without doing DNA samples which is more time and money than they want to spend.

In WA the rule is reversed. They ask that you fillet your fish at the river. They also ask that you only keep whole fish for maounting purposes and that if you intend to cut your fish into steaks throw the head and guts in the river before you leave. Year in, year out washington has larger runs and healthier fish than we do. Perhaps taking better care of thier smolt and river ecosystems as a whole might have something to do with it. Studies have repeatedly shown that the return of carcasses and dead fish as river nutrients can and will improve returns. It's not that the guys at ODFW are stupid on this one, they are just bowing to pressure from outside sources instead of doing what is right for the fish, yet again.

That does not make it ok for a "moderator" to encourage illegal activity. Of course it's not a bad thing, but that doesn't make it ok! It is illegal! I have no problem with you or anyone else doing it, but don't promote it here!

F
fishtales
metalfisher76 said:
Kalama R. hatchery does that too.
ODFW does this crap all the time. From the book page 8 General Restrictions, the following activities are UNLAWFUL: #15. Dispose of dead animal (fish) carcasses, or parts thereof, in Oregon waters.
But then you turn to page 9 under game fish- freshwater unlawful to: 4. Remove eggs from any salmon, steelhead or sturgeon without retaining the carcass
while in the field;
5. Possess in the field game fish dressed or mutilated so that size, species or fin clip
cannot be determined until the angler has reached their automobile or principle
means of land transportation and has completed their daily angling;

Not trying to point a finger but get some carification. Just so you know I don't fish the Columbia often and when I do it is with a guide usually.

Where do oregon waters start/end on the might Columbia according to ODFW.

I think I remmebr seeing a welcome to Washington sign on the I5 bridge in the middle of the bridge going int to Washington. I can not recall if there is one in the middle on the otherside as you come in to oregon saying welcome to Oregon. I guess I would like to know if ODOT and ODFW are on the same page.

A bit off topic but I think it goes with the flow of the thread. :) Just a note but the thread asked how we do it and we are getting our moneys worth of answers.

M
metalfisher76
If yer asking for while your on the Columbia, you follow the laws of the state you are licensed and/or launch in. If yer licensed in Or, you launch there and follow those guidelines. Same in Wa. If yer licensed in both, that`s when you follow the guidelines of the state you launched in. If you pull into the mouth of a tributary then you need be licensed to fish that state.
My post about the Kalama was just to point to the fact that a lot of hatcheries do toss the carcass back in the river.