Class "A" motor homers

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I am in the process of getting a 1994 Fleetwood Flair 24 footer. I have a 2012 18'7" Duckworth Navigator with a swing away tongue. I have heard of Motorhomes with a front hitch for launching boats because they did not want to get their rear tires in the water. I normally launch with a 2016 F150 and have not had any problems getting my rear tires wet when I launch, in fact unless I push it they don't. In your experience is there anything I should watch out for other than launching in SALT WATER. It should not be much of a problem to mount a front hitch but do I REALLY need it. I have launched at the Umpqua many times and not had any problems. Please advise, the m/h I am looking at does have duel rear tires. Oh btw I am not new to camping with an RV just new to a motor home.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Charlie, the only experience I've had with dual rear wheel is on my farm truck. I won't take it into a wet paster or hay field because the dual wheels do not hold the traction well on a wet or slippery surface. They hold weight very well on a dry surface such as a road or gravel, but because the weight is spread out over four tires in the rear, there is less pressure per tire to bite into ground to give you traction. I have however seen plenty of motor homes go down the ramp and launch their boats. Front hitches seem like a very good option.

DOKF
DOKF
I have a front hitch on my MH that I have never used to launch boats. Came with it when I bought it. I would be leery of any steep ramps, given that the weight forward would make traction at the rear wheels sketchy.

For the same reason, I am also leery of backing the MH uphill except on very clear shallow slopes.

I would only ever used the front hitch to reposition trailers in my storage spot.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Good information and I thank you for it. that will make a lot of difference for me.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I owe you guys an apology, it was not a 94 but a 98, I need to do some work on at but then it is kind of old and has sat a bit in the last 4 years. I have two things in my favor one is I am retired Navy and was a diesel mech and second I sold rv's while going to college. So I understand about a lot of the stuff on them and I just sold my camp trailer a few months ago. I do honestly thank you both for the dual tires information and all this time I thought it had something to do with the water on the wheels and the brakes, just goes to show how dumb a person can be when they THINK they have a handle on it. Thank you again. One nice thing is I have a full size Bronco I can tow behind it. Ya I know about trannies etc. this one I can shift it to neutral for towing. Just need to put a tow bar on it and wire it for the lights. I will admit I forgot to have my buddie check it out first. So Teddy and I went down today for his approval, Teddy is my 150 - 160 lb pup. The way he acted he has been in one before, he is a rescue dog and even thou Sept will be three years he is still training me.
DLC

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
I have a truck tire shop town so I am going to stop in there this morning to see if it would help to sype those rear tires. Being a truck shop they should know.