Clackamas springers

M
mikeee2362
ChezJfrey said:
LOL, really, it's just not the same...but a chrome springer is a decent consolation...I guess ;)
Yer killin' me!

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
Faraday is a "lake" and a powerhouse. Cazadero is the river/canyon below the dam.

LOL, he knows that and you totally missed the point of statement.

D
DrTheopolis
A familiar role for me.

D
DrTheopolis
I haven't fished there in a whole buncha years.

B
burlafisherman
Anybody have a rough idea about when the spring salmon will be rolling up around the estacada area on the clackamas? I was just out the past 2 weekends fishing at Mciver Park with people hardly catching the remainder of the winter steelhead. No luck for me sadly. :sad: Thanks

Artwo
Artwo
There might be a few in there now as I know of some already in the lower river. Definitely by mid-May and June into July there will be springers up to River Mill............

Y
YoungWig
May. depending on the rain.

B
burlafisherman
Artwo said:
There might be a few in there now as I know of some already in the lower river. Definitely by mid-May and June into July there will be springers up to River Mill............
definitely! Thanks a lot I will be stopping by frequently to check the waters.

B
burlafisherman
YoungWig said:
May. depending on the rain.
Does this mean if it rains a lot, they go up faster?

Artwo
Artwo
burlafisherman said:
Does this mean if it rains a lot, they go up faster?

Yes...................

C
cchinook
End of May

D
DrTheopolis
It varies with the weather/temp/streamflow.

Sometimes, mid-April. Some years, late May. Kind of a crapshoot. Somewhere in that time frame.

But, I will say that after fishing the Clack pretty hard last Thursday, it's my guess that there's very few springers in the river right now. Temps haven't cracked 50 for more than a few hours here and there. A couple more degrees (and more fish in the Willy), and they'll start moving in. The Estacada area obviously gets them a little later than the lower river.

J
Jordy
Got this guy well above barton yesterday. Not my first of the season just the first one with my phone in my wader pocket. Looks like another big fish year... f0a0ce684eb580d05e905cbf83b06923.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
Well done. I said there was "few," not "none." I'll be after them again soon.

J
Jordy
It was a happy mistake. I bump up my steelhead gear a bit around this time of year for just this reason.

D
DrTheopolis
Is that an adipose in the pic? Hard to tell (could just be a rock).

D
DownOnTheWater
Looks like an adipose to me. Beautiful catch!

P
pinstriper
It is a stone. Can't get your finger between the body and the fin from below. Thats a hatchery fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J
Jordy
pinstriper said:
It is a stone. Can't get your finger between the body and the fin from below. Thats a hatchery fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish you were right. It was a very long adipose with the back half detached from the body and my finger was slightly under ther fin.

That fish is still swimming. Glad to have those genes in the river. I hooked him at about 9 o'clock through the swing in too shallow and too fast water. After a few headshakes i knew it was either a springer or it was a springer.

After slow headshakes and short, nasty runs in the current he did one very long slow porpoise about 20 feet in front of me to flash me his fin. At that point I gave the drag another crank and ended it, knowing either way i had already won. He was nice enough to lay down for 7 seconds for a quick snap and when i turned him around he kicked hard enough to not only get me wet, but to splash a half gallon of water into my waders.

After a super productions CR season and a fair number of fish in this class I can confidently put this one in the 20+ range.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Jordy said:
I bump up my steelhead gear a bit around this time of year for just this reason.

How much of a bump, if you don't mind sharing? I currently run 15# braided main, with either 10 or 15# p-line fluoroclear leader depending upon what I am tossing. Would you recommend an increase?