Clackamas springers

G
Gonzo
Any springer sightings yet? Wondering when I should start targeting them.

S
Steeliekiller
There's fish being caught in the willamette at the mouth of the Clackamas. Chance is there are a few I n the lower river. Good luck

D
DrTheopolis
Heard a couple of reports claiming to have hooked them, some even upriver.

Not going to be too many around for another month, but a few will trickle in.

B
Big3d
I was at cross park today and saw a steelie fly, didn't see any springers. That doesn't mean they aren't in there, meldrum was a zoo, I only saw boats land fish while I was there...

O
OnTheDrop
They be in there. On good returns hooking them this time of year is pretty common for those who are targeting in the lower part. I sh** you not I've hard of one at Rivermill already... They are so spread out regardless whether it's Now or Mid June anyway. The Clack is a steelhead river in the usual haunts. ( some awesome Salmon holes but they never produce as many fish as you'd think )Springers are bonus fish. Go to the Sandy for springers or stick to the big water if you want consistent results... My 0.2c but what do I know.

Last edited:
S
sapo
Yah, from what I've read the Spring Chinook run is the Sandy River's biggest run. Like steelmonkiller said, if you're going for springers try the Sandy. It's going to have a pretty big spring run this year too!

T
troutmasta
I slay springers on the clack. I look for choke points and get em on hardware. Good luck.

G
Gonzo
Prob stupid question... "choke points"? Narrow slots or head of deep pools etc?

O
OnTheDrop
Cazadero or Rivermill doesn't count as the Clack in my opinion. .

D
DrTheopolis
While I was busy giving someone a ride to Bremerton, my buddy had one come unbuttoned pretty far upriver.

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
I slay springers on the clack. I look for choke points and get em on hardware. Good luck.

So, you're saying when you learn a river, success goes up?

I know a couplefew good spots to find springers there. Taken me a couple of decades to learn them, though.

B
bigboy70
Well I can say I was down low yesturday hoping for a late winter, springer, or early summer and alas nothing but a couple smolts. So I looked around flow was good color was good weather good all things were pointing to fish. Well after working a stretch wind really picked up and was hard to do any kind of fishing, discouraged I head back to the truck and see something thrashing about there was a guy standing right there so I thought fish nope FUR BAG! So I head down to the trail out and hear it again saw him working close to a 300yd stretch of river riding the seams. Light bulb went off we are able to haze things now so I did just that. Saw the thing eat 5+ smolts in 10 mins and notcied how he was thrashing hardly what it was when I was higher. That tell me springers are either just entering or real close to doing so

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Cazadero or Rivermill doesn't count as the Clack in my opinion. .

Oh boo ....

And what about Faraday? The fish don't have to go over it but they def stack up.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Gonzo said:
Prob stupid question... "choke points"? Narrow slots or head of deep pools etc?

Damns. Waterfalls. Deep pools before shallow rapids.

J
JonT
Going with Marvin on Wednesday. Pretty stoked.

C
ChezJfrey
Wrong fish for me, but I'll post here as evidence of troutmasta's "get 'em with hardware."

I have been struggling a little with steelhead on the Clack, scratching out a hookup every once in awhile...but nothing like this time last year. So, been expanding my searches and went a little astray today.

I'm near Barton, cast a spoon into a deep, fast chute, with the intention of getting down and drifting through into the seam...the spoon sinks, stalls, set it and feel some slight give, like a log. Then the 'log' starts to drift...branch? This 'branch' starts taking a little drag, then a lot...then zzzzzzzzzzzzzz as a fish starts rocketing down the fast water, heading through the entire run, nearing the end of the tail....holy smokes!

I'm desperately trying to bend it like Beckham, twisting the rod to the bank, thumbing my spool, trying to turn this thing. I have some room, but the next tailout has a large obstacle on the bank I don't think I can pass and I need to stop this thing. Fortunately, it slows and halts. I work it back over the course of a minute or two, then it takes offense and makes a similar run for it. I again halt it, work it back some more, then rinse, repeat, again, but this time a stutter, stutter run...aha, tiring. Now it hunkers in and starts thrashing, I see the chrome and it looks fat. By now, I have figured out this is no steelhead.

Eventually, I tail a 15.2 pounder....bummer blank on steel by end of day

2014-04-21_18-28-15_71.jpg

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Ya totally........

LOL, really, it's just not the same...but a chrome springer is a decent consolation...I guess ;)

S
Steel4life
well youve made up my mind lol im definitly hitting the clack in an hour. prolly start down low and work my way up.

T
troutmasta
ChezJfrey said:
LOL, really, it's just not the same...but a chrome springer is a decent consolation...I guess ;)

Your absolutley nuts!

There is nothing like NOOK. Like hooking onto a small sub. Plus it tastes better. (here we go)

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
Oh boo ....

And what about Faraday? The fish don't have to go over it but they def stack up.

Faraday is a "lake" and a powerhouse. Cazadero is the river/canyon below the dam.