Clack coho?

F
fishing_mission
I'm headed back to school in Ashland on the 22nd and wanted to give the clack a drift in the pontoon before I leave. I know its still a little early for coho but I'm wanting to get out since I'm pretty much done with summers. I will probably be running plugs (kwick fish and hot shots) and throwing spinners. Planning on Barton to Carver. If anybody has any advice or tips that would be sweet. Or if ya want to do a float hit me up.

Thanks

T
troutmasta
fishing_mission said:
I'm headed back to school in Ashland on the 22nd and wanted to give the clack a drift in the pontoon before I leave. I know its still a little early for coho but I'm wanting to get out since I'm pretty much done with summers. I will probably be running plugs (kwick fish and hot shots) and throwing spinners. Planning on Barton to Carver. If anybody has any advice or tips that would be sweet. Or if ya want to do a float hit me up.

Thanks

Still little early. Id target summer steell. dark jigs

N
nativefish
not too early, you should be fine doing what you said. If its hot and sunny i wouldnt waste my time, maybe u will get lucky and get the weather conditions to coporate. There are steelhead around too

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Still little early. Id target summer steell. dark jigs

Jigs for steelhead? Pfft...spoons man, SPOONS! LOL

F
fishing_mission
nativefish said:
not too early, you should be fine doing what you said. If its hot and sunny i wouldnt waste my time, maybe u will get lucky and get the weather conditions to coporate. There are steelhead around too

Yeah hopefully we will get some more rain beginning of next week

F
fishing_mission

Last edited:
N
nativefish
i dont think the forecast looks good. what day you thinking about going? and you just got a one man toon?

N
nativefish
ChezJfrey said:
Jigs for steelhead? Pfft...spoons man, SPOONS! LOL

ya... right? unless u can fish jigs in the fast water you might have trouble finding those steel in the high september sun!

C
ChezJfrey
nativefish said:
ya... right? unless u can fish jigs in the fast water you might have trouble finding those steel in the high september sun!

That's how I've been gettin' 'em the last several weeks, 3 of the 4 in the direct afternoon sun :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
fishing_mission said:

Thanks

Take that pontoon with you! Float the Rogue River from the hatchery to Elk Park!

F
fishing_mission
Probably next Thursday or Friday. Yeah just a one person toon

But yes throbbit Shane I do take my pontoon down to school. I love the rogue until the chinnok come up. Lol

N
nativefish
report?

S
salsinker
What type of jigs work best?

B
Big3d
Last wed. Something heavy spooled my reel out, and then snapped my purple and pink jig right off of my 10 lb leader. Could have been steel but it felt quite heavy even running straight upstream. Didn't land any but it was pretty cool playing with it. Wish i had that jig.

T
troutmasta
Howd it go?

A
alm21
Big3d said:
Last wed. Something heavy spooled my reel out, and then snapped my purple and pink jig right off of my 10 lb leader. Could have been steel but it felt quite heavy even running straight upstream. Didn't land any but it was pretty cool playing with it. Wish i had that jig.

Very well could've been a Chinook. There's a bunch in there still in spawning mode.

O
OnTheFly
I drive by Carver and over Barton bridge twice a day to and from work. The river is all but deserted at this time. Nobody in the parking lots. Pray for river elevating rains in October then it will be game on. Feel free to ask me anytime about the Clackamas River conditions in those spots throughout the season.:cool:

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
Theres also tons of summer steelhead who are starting to get active again... Some bigguns too. Also a few stray fall Chinook who are big and fresh as well...