Chest pack/ backpack for fishing

F
fishing_mission
My old school backpack I have used for a couple years is done for. Holes in the bottom broken straps etc. Im looking for a pack the is more convenient while hiking/ wading and fishing at the same time. I have it narrowed down between several options and was wondering if anyone has had experience when any of these packs.

fishpondusa
1) double haul chest pack / backpack
2) wildhorse tech pack
3) wasatch tech pack

tackledirect
1) exodus pack
2) confluence pack

They all seem like decent packs just seeing if there is any first hand experiences out there.

Thanks

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I'm too darned cheap, though I prefer to think of myself as thrifty, to spend that kind of money on something I will surely abuse. I depend on the local thrift stores for a lot of fishing gear. I get my fishing jackets, shirts, hats, gloves and even actual fishing gear there. I currently use a backpack I paid $2.99 for and will use it until it dies a painful death from abuse. I always have two or three garbage bags inside and carry anything that will be adversely affected by water in zip lock type bags. I would just rather use that money on gas to get me to the fish, even when the fish don't appreciate my efforts. Let us know which one you decide on and how it works out for you.

Chromatose
Chromatose
With some of the bigger chest packs the only problem I have noticed is if you fill them to the brim with gear casting can be cumbersome. So after going through a couple of packs from different name brands, I am now happy with my Wasatch tech pack. It is a great pack for trekking. doesn't get in the way of casting. Carries every thing I need. I have had mine for quite some time now. Wears well and has taken a beating!

Simms Dry Creek Flats Hip pack is a good way to go as well.

Good Luck in your search.

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
I'm quite happy with my Fishpond Waterdance Guide pack. Not a chest pack but I can carry food, water, and gear for a day easily.

1 nut in the water
Modest_Man said:
I'm quite happy with my Fishpond Waterdance Guide pack. Not a chest pack but I can carry food, water, and gear for a day easily.

Steelhead Stalkers has a video review of this pack on their awesome website.

D
DYJ
I find a chest pack gets in the way of my beer belly...

C
Combat Chuck
Cabelas sells a sling pack that Im interested in. Slide it to your chest when you need something then to your back to be out of the way. I have no experience with it... but its on my christmas list in case someone is feeling generous.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
DYJ said:
I find a chest pack gets in the way of my beer belly...
This has to be the best quote of the day! :lol: :D :lol:

F
fishing_mission
Thanks for the opinions guys and gals. I didn't post this one but its on the fishpond website. The Piney creek tech pack. Has a detachable chest pack you can wear seperate or attach to the back pack.

Hmmmm decisions decisions

J
JHawk
I use the William Joseph magnetic closure series of chest packs and really like them. I was surprised how convenient the magnetic closure was compared to a zipper.

T
TimberTodd
I have the Fishpond Blueriver fanny pack. I am very happy with it.

S
Steeliekiller
I use a Columbia vest. Has enough space for all my gear and beer and more lol as well as doesn't get in the way of casting.

L
LivinItUpCO
My wife picked me up a nice browning fishing backpack from basspro.com a couple years ago, I like it. A lot.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Packs are like R.V.s It depends on what you are doing on certain outings. Stream/river walk for hours, plans to switch gear a lot. take food/beer, recon on high angle slopes, etc. etc. For short walks and certain fixed gear I will use a bladderless hydration pack. Its thin, light and i can also strap some foul weather gear on the outside. Tony

S
SmallStreams
For the past 5 years, I've been using a mondo, gigantic, supersize fanny pack that was designed for rock climbers, so it can carry 5+ lbs of gear/fish. It has spare handles so you can carry it like luggage. It has two beverage carriers on the ends. Zippers are well made and have not stripped or otherwise malfunctioned. There's a very large main pouch, an inner pouch, and an exterior pouch in addition to the beverage carriers. The belt is well-padded.

At the time, it was the biggest one that REI sold. I think Mountainsmith is the brand.
[edit: it's most like the Waterdance Guide Pack on the fishpondusa site in the initial post.]
Criteria:

My fishing style is to hike along smaller streams, fishing intensively, often several miles in one day if the daylight holds out. Typically I won't wade above my thighs, but if I do go deeper, being able to sling the bag over my shoulder would be desireable. I needed a way to carry trout, lures/bait, maps, small flashlight, lunch, water/pop, and not have all that stuff on my shoulders or in my hands. Had to be one bag so I wouldn't be likely to leave something behind.

Consideration:

Chest packs and backpacks will keep your body warmer. Not a desireable feature if you're fishing in the summer, could be useful if you're fishing in the winter.

Last edited: