Charcoal water Smoker questions HELP!!!

D
dangerranger
So I cought my fist chinook yesterday and want to smoke some of the meat. I have a charcoal water smoker and the only thing ive ever made with it was beef jerky. i dont mind experimenting with beef... but I dont want to ruin the salmon. My question is I guess how long I want to smoke it and how much charcoal to use. And also if you can use wood chips on top of the coals. When i got it it came with some wood chunks... but I think chips would work... I just want them to burn up really quick. Any advise would be greatly appreacieted!!

T
Thuggin4Life
never used one but how do you get smoke without wood? i would use chips adding more after they burn up. try to keep the temp low like around 150 and make sure you use a good brine and i bet it comes out good. instead of water use apple juice. after about 4 hours look at the meat to judge your cook time. just when they look like they may get overdone if you leave them in anylonger take them out and should be just about perfect. i always pick at a piece to see if its done to confirm the visual. but once you know the look you can just tell. good luck.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I brine my fish for 24 hours or so, the brine isn't too critical just watch the salt. Get one of those metal turkey thermometers you can put in the stove and make sure the temp doesn't get below 110 or above 140 or so. I try to keep it at 120 for a nice slow smoke.
As far the the coals are concerned, just fill the pan and get them going, you might need to take the meat out and start another batch depending of your smoker. If you jostle anything around, such as stirring the coals, take the meat out first.
Some people soak their chips in water, I don't. Just dump them on there and when they burn up put some more on while keeping an eye on the temp. Don't let it get too high or your meat will dry out, it's also possible to scorch the outside and not get the inside done well enough. You're pretty much just gonna have to wing it. The main thing is the temp. Keep it low around 120-150 or so, keep pouring the chips on and it will turn out fine.

Last edited:
D
dangerranger
The smoked salmon turned out great... Only took about 4 hours... first tried puttin dry chips on but they would just catch on fire and burn right up so i soaked em for a while and that seemed to work a little better thanks all for the advice

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
dangerranger said:
The smoked salmon turned out great... Only took about 4 hours... first tried puttin dry chips on but they would just catch on fire and burn right up so i soaked em for a while and that seemed to work a little better thanks all for the advice

lol.. They caught on fire eh.. I have never had that happen. Glad it turned out well!

T
Thuggin4Life
GraphiteZen said:
lol.. They caught on fire eh.. I have never had that happen. Glad it turned out well!

good to here. your smoker is an unfamiliar technology to me. i have a feally that as time goes you will find that perfect proccess for you and your smoker.