Catching kings with rocks?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
a recent thread contained a 'comment' by Dr. T on using lead sinkers which sent me OFF searching for alternatives to the lead cannonball sinkers that we troll with for Fall Chinooks...and this is what I found at Amazon.com, made from a soft rock, I got 35 for $16 (45 cents each). checking the weight I got a range of 1.9 to 2.1 oz, the image shows a normal rig with 4oz cannonball, beside it is a 'double rock' 4oz rig and also a 'single rock' 2oz rig. I will update how they work for us under "Siuslaw River" later this year..:D

they sell other sizes, including 1.5oz, 1/5oz and 1/3oz...cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
S
steelhead_slayer
Good idea. Better to lose some a bunch of rocks than a bunch of lead

B
Big3d
Cool find Roger!

E
eugene1
Interesting idea. You might need more weight that your usual amount due to blowback? But they're cheap and green.

Best,

brandon4455
brandon4455
that is awesome! i gotta find some of those to use for bobber fishing this fall, imagine if we all used rocks for weight instead of lead, that would be cool.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Interesting idea. You might need more weight that your usual amount due to blowback? But they're cheap and green.

Best,

due to the rock weights being larger? yes, I had considered that, it will be interesting to see how the dynamics of the rocks at slow trolling speed effects the line angle...

M
Modest_Man
Find rock, attach to line with electrical tape. Why not just go all out? I've found "remnant" rock weights all over in plunking areas. Or you could drill a hole and epoxy in a barrel swivel, etc.

O
OnTheDrop
"Naturally attractive to fish"

Gotta love fishing companies...:lol:

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Modest_Man said:
Find rock, attach to line with electrical tape. Why not just go all out? I've found "remnant" rock weights all over in plunking areas. Or you could drill a hole and epoxy in a barrel swivel, etc.

certainly rock weights have been used throughout history for line and net fishing, part of why I find these interesting. I would note that rocks do not all have the same density and they can be very difficult to drill, especially small holes. these seem to be a fairly high density soap stone that would have made them easy to shape and drill...the holes in these are 5/32" and have been drilled in from each end to limit drill depth. cheers

M
mikeee2362
Hmmm I have a hammer drill and a vice.....