Carp in America

B
Bad Tuna
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? I've written several times it's nothing personal against drew or anyone else who worships carp. In fact, i hope the carp tournament works out and he fishes it. Im sute we could all learn how to catch more of them from him. I've never said anyone had to agree with me, and have tried to separate fact from my opinion. It seems some of you kids are real hotheads, and try to defend your positions with opinions, then try to pass them off as facts. Misinformation is dangerous in fisheries, the past proves that is a fact.

J
john montana
Ignoring most of the "Internet tough guy syndrome" flying through this thread I will add my useless, carp loving two cents...be prepared to bash away.

The reality for me is simple. NOTHING should be to done to regulate or attempt to increase the populations of non native fish. No limits should be set for bass, carp, brown trout etc. Debating the "value" of various non native species is why we are IN this mess. Carp were valued, bass were valued, etc and on and on, resulting in the pollution of our waters with species that do not belong. So, treat all non native fish the same...don't try to propagate any of them. Focus on our few remaining native and precious resources.

Seems pretty simple to me.

I would also make reasonable attempts to return what waters we can to self sustaining native fisheries. Truthfully, this is basically impossible in most cases. The bass ain't coming out of the john day river and will continue to decimate the smolt. The carp ain't leaving the Columbia either...not unless we bombed the entire river.

As a labelled and lonely "carp lover" here in Oregon I can agree with drew that the ridicule gets old as does the constant misinformation listed as fact (carp probably eat less fish eggs than whitefish, trout etc...they mostly eat nymphs, clams, worms, vegetive matter and a ton of crayfish). I can understand and appreciate the exasperation in his replies and see through that to a young fisherman genuinely excited about learning and going one step farther than most of us...teaching. While I might not agree with all of drew's replies (primarily the tone) I 100% applaud his desire to share his passion and pass it on to others. We are lucky to have such a passionate steward for any fishery in my mind.

The more reading I do and the more involved I get with carp (specifically on the fly) the more I am amazed at the stark similarities with the origins of bone fishing. When that first started everyone laughed...called the originators trash fisherman and debated the total lack of value bonefish bring (I hear they taste worse than carp). Fast forward 15 years and entire economies hinge on the dollars those fish bring in...while I am not saying carp will get there in America (I hope not...I like my lonely flats) I can say that the next time all the Internet tough guys are getting to you drew, just think of yourself as a pioneer...and be happy you get the water to yourself. You could be sitting below a hatchery on the sandy instead.

Reactions: brandon4455
E
eggs
/flex

I will use some internet tough guy syndrome and say I completely agree with you on his passion for his fishery and disire is great, but his attitude blows. As he will have his water to himself, so will I plus a few good friends somewhere up a forest serive road... I would shoot myself in the face before fishing at cedar creek on the sandy, can't stand fishing with crowd.

/end flex

C
colbypearson
We need to find a way to make carp delicious and re-title the thread "breakfast in america" ;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
eggs said:
/flex

I will use some internet tough guy syndrome and say I completely agree with you on his passion for his fishery and disire is great, but his attitude blows. As he will have his water to himself, so will I plus a few good friends somewhere up a forest serive road... I would shoot myself in the face before fishing at cedar creek on the sandy, can't stand fishing with crowd.

/end flex

i would have a bad attitude if i had people bashing on every single carp thread i made and saying the same thing over and over again but in different wording.. and then claiming they ere not trying to make someone mad. but it was clearly the purpose of their post.. john montana, that post is getting some rep bro. well said :clap:

D
Drew9870
Trust me, if you really knew me before O.F.F., you would read a defensive post and probably wonder what I've been smoking/not smoking. I type every post with a smile ->:)<-, and speak with my inside voice ;).

Maybe people think I am just Carp crazy, but I am just crazy about catching any fish with size and fight to them, and I fish for a variety fish just as equally as one another, I am actually getting way more into catching Lings and Rockfish from the shore, they make line ratings above 6-20lb test, and I like to step it up to bigger fish whenever I can, Salmon and Steelhead are another I like to catch, but I'll admit, when I go fishing for Salmon or Steelhead, 95% of the time I am fishing for smoking material (we're talking wood chips and a box here people :lol:)

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
colbypearson said:
We need to find a way to make carp delicious and re-title the thread "breakfast in america" ;)

I have a good carp recipe:

Take 1 carp - any size
1 lb of bacon
2 eggs
1lb potatoes, finely diced
1/2 shredded cheese.

In one large skillet, pour in 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. Get it hot. Cook taters in this skillet.
In another large skillet, heat it up, and place the bacon, cooking to your liking.
When the taters and bacon are done, cook the eggs in the bacon skillet.
When the eggs are done, toss your carp fillets/strips/chunks in it.
Eat your eggs, bacon, and taters.
When the carp is done, give it to the neighbor's cat. Throw away the skillet (or clean the bejesus out of it if you really want to keep it.)

You get a tastey breakfast. THe neighbor's cat doesn't starve (and might actually like the carp) - life is good for both of you.

E
eggs
GungasUncle said:
I have a good carp recipe:

Take 1 carp - any size
1 lb of bacon
2 eggs
1lb potatoes, finely diced
1/2 shredded cheese.

In one large skillet, pour in 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. Get it hot. Cook taters in this skillet.
In another large skillet, heat it up, and place the bacon, cooking to your liking.
When the taters and bacon are done, cook the eggs in the bacon skillet.
When the eggs are done, toss your carp fillets/strips/chunks in it.
Eat your eggs, bacon, and taters.
When the carp is done, give it to the neighbor's cat. Throw away the skillet (or clean the bejesus out of it if you really want to keep it.)

You get a tastey breakfast. THe neighbor's cat doesn't starve (and might actually like the carp) - life is good for both of you.

Sounds like a solid meal

D
Drew9870
But why cook the Carp? Cats have a bacteria in their saliva that kills Salmonella, Dogs are however, extremely vulnerable. Waste of a good, probably seasoned skillet.

:lol:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Could use a cheap dollar tree skillet for the cooking...

Y
Yuriy
This is my first time commenting on this site, but Carp are awesome, where are good places to fish for them im Northwest Oregon?

C
chrisohm
I tried asking that same question with no reply. :( I just love fishing and pick no favorites. If I can legally fish it, then so be it and game on! To be honest, I think hatchery trout are worthless, retarded fish, must be that missing fin, but I still love to catch them. I'm sure that a carp is better than hatchery trout.

Y
Yuriy
Well ive caught carp in the Columbia but i was wondering if there is a better spot. Carp are a lot bigger too, which makes it more exciting. :D

D
Drew9870
I haven't targetted Carp in Northwest Oregon, mainly the Willamette Valley, so no pointers from me on where to go.

As far as info, I will have to personally talk to Anatoliy about getting some threads stickied, I guess the report post function doesn't work out for that, lol.

Start a new thread with the subject "Info on Carp in Northwest Oregon".