Butte Creek or Abiqua Creek in Scotts Mills?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My sister recently moved to Scotts Mills and called with questions about these two...can she fish and is she required to have a license if she fishes in the creeks from private property. I can't find either in the regs, but I'm sure they must be hidden somewhere...
Thanks for any info you can help with.

P
PNW Sam
C&R for trout during the normal Zone trout season, artificials only - no bait. Look at the map in the regs to see what areas of both creeks are open starting in April.

99% sure you need a license to fish a body of water that flows through your own private property. Maybe someone who knows for sure could confirm this, or correct me if I'm wrong.

I've never fished either, but I've spent time on the upper Abiqua, great looking cuttie stream. I've fished the Pudding right below where Abiqua dumps in and pulled some nice cutties. Just used 1/16th oz spinners, various types and patterns. Could definitely go with a little bigger lure. The fish fight good and are fat. I'd have to assume that below the deadlines on both creeks (where fish can travel as they please, not confined by falls) you would find fish of similar size to what I caught in the Pudding.

L
lilsalmon
I believe if it is YOUR land you do not need a license but you need tags if fishing for salmon, etc. My cousin lives on the Siletz and a few of us fished there. We needed our regular license and tags but she only needs tags as it is her land.

I have heard of these creeks but have not fished them yet.

M
mezzfin
from the regs:
3. All persons 14 years or older must have in possession a valid Oregon angling license to angle for or take or assist another in angling
for or taking of any fish for personal use, except:
• During “Free Fishing Weekend” (June 9-10, 2012) when no license or tag is required;
• When taking smelt, crayfish, or bullfrogs;
Oregon resident landowners and members of their immediate family may angle for fish on land they own and reside upon;

but tags still needed.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks for the info,folks. I can't wait to give them both a try, the water looks really fishy.