Abiqua Creek report

S
sapo
I decided to fly fish Abiqua creek today to try it out. I took the advice of another member and went to N Abiqua Rd and stopped at a pull off near the bridge. Was doing pretty bad with a blue wing olive and then a parachute adams and no trout were rising. My brother got some hits on a spinner and I put on a White Marabou Muddler and started missing fish like crazy. Then I caught a 6" trout idk what species it was rainbow on the back with three big black spots on the side as well as some golden/brown stripes.

Sorry no pic he jumped outta my hand pretty quick! The creek was pretty good and there was a ton of flies hatching but all the trout were eating fish and crawdads and stuff below the surface. Very clear and decent water levels. Anyone know what kind of trout I caught? I think it was a rainbow, but not sure and it was for sure not a cuttie no red at all on its belly or throat. Overall was a good day at the creek. Thanks!

brandon4455
brandon4455
what you caught was most likely a juvenile steelhead or coho if it wasn't a cutty, but i wouldn't be so quick to discount it being a cuttie, their gill slashes can be hard to see sometimes unless you take a really close look.Some resident valley cutthroat can be quite colorful like the one in the photo i attached.

• 922787_492400670829673_111336745_n.jpg
jamisonace
jamisonace
Bull trout possibly. We have a lot of little streams that full of them, though they never get any size to them.

S
sapo
Thanks for the responses, I searched up steelhead smolt and it definitely is a steelhead smolt that I caught not much doubt anymore. Well it's good to know that there are still some steelhead in Abiqua, maybe they'll make a comeback (i hope)!

S
Steeljtrout
hi there this is my first post to the fishing forum i figured i should finally join up as i am always checking it. but i just wanted to clear up fishing abiqua cause it seems a lot of people mis understand the regs or just hear word of mouth from the wrong people but all fishing on the abiqua is closed for salmon steelhead. and closed for trout intil april and then its only open above the first falls and can only keep 2 over 8 inches. same thing applies for butte creek only can fish above the first falls which is miles above the town of scotts mills. Which if you ask me dont make much sense casue you can fish the pudding river which the silver creek abiqua and butte creek all dump into before the pudding dumps into the mololla. just a friendly heads up

M
Modest_Man
They're open below the falls starting the last weekend in May. Besides opening a month early above the falls and allowing take of 8+" fish (because there are no salmon or steelhead up there) the entire stretch of Silver Creek, Butte Creek, and Abiqua creek fall under the zone regulations. Opens the last weekend in May, catch and release only, artificial flies and lures.

S
Steeljtrout
thats not how i interpret it because the only time you go buy zone regs is when theres no specail regs wrote up for that water. and all three abiqua silver creek and butte creek have special regs. so i take it as you can fish only above the falls an only with artificall flys and lures with only 2 over 8 inches kept
Butte Creek​
upstream from Butte CreekFalls near R.M. 25.5 (Marion/Clack. Co.)
•​
Open for trout April 26-Oct. 31, 2 trout per day, 8 inch minimum length.
Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures, as per Zone Regulations

Silver Creek​
upstream from SilvertonReservoir to the confluence of theNorth and South Forks of Silver Creek(Marion Co.)
•​
Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures, as per Zone Regulations.
Abiqua Creek​
upstream from AbiquaFalls near Rivermile 19 (Marion Co.)
•​

Reactions: Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Steeljtrout said:
thats not how i interpret it because the only time you go buy zone regs is when theres no specail regs wrote up for that water. and all three abiqua silver creek and butte creek have special regs. so i take it as you can fish only above the falls an only with artificall flys and lures with only 2 over 8 inches kept
Butte Creek​
upstream from Butte CreekFalls near R.M. 25.5 (Marion/Clack. Co.)
•​

Silver Creek​
upstream from SilvertonReservoir to the confluence of theNorth and South Forks of Silver Creek(Marion Co.)
•​
Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures, as per Zone Regulations.
Abiqua Creek​
upstream from AbiquaFalls near Rivermile 19 (Marion Co.)
•​

Looks indisputable to me. Thanks for sharing and straightening it out for all of us. :hi:

M
Modest_Man
Ha, it's not indisputable. It's incorrect. If they're closed year round then why are those stretches of creek not red on the map on page 49?

Instructions:
1. Read the Special Regulations for this zone. Special Regulations apply to specific bodies of water or portions of water within a zone. If specific references to a body of water, species, catch limits, length limits, seasons, or other specifications are not made in the Special Regulations for this zone, then Zone Regulations apply.

Trust me, it's open. I've fished for years on all those systems.

If you want an example of a creek that's actually closed year round look at Fish Creek.

S
Steeljtrout
It says everything for Abiquia under special regs the size the amount u can keep date u can fish the exact road mile that u can fish beyond. The only the thing it don't say under special regs is what to fish with an that's were u look at zone regs which is artificial flys an lures only. Therefore no fishing below butte creek or abiquas first falls or below silverton res. trust me I live right by them and have seen plenty of people ticketed for not knowing the regs. But to each is own. Odfw used to dump hatchery trout in both creeks to fish but have stopped years ago and that's when the lower sections closed to fishing to protect the native salmon/steelhead and trout.

M
Modest_Man
Go ahead and don't fish it then, just leaves more fishy water for me then. Feel free to contact ODFW and ask them about it.

bass
bass
There is no special regulation listed for Abiqua creek below the falls so it is governed by zone regulations. If it were closed below the falls it would need to be stated as closed since that is different from the zone regulations. A good example is the Bull Run River. The portions that are closed are explicitly called out. Steeljtrout, if you saw folks get ticketed below the falls then those people being ticketed was violating a zone regulation, like using bait.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Okay, now I am indisputably confused...:sad: ;)

S
sapo
@Raincatcher yeah haha
Well I'm pretty sure Abiqua is open below the falls as, like bass said, it doesn't say that it's not open below the falls in the regs. In special regs it does say that above the falls opens on April 26 but doesn't say anything about below the falls so I would assume that opens on may 24th and is regular like everything else...I may be wrong though but that is my take. And as modest man said if its not stated in special regs then it falls under the zone regs which would mean its open below the falls.

M
Modest_Man
Talked with ODFW, all three are open under zone regulations. Last weekend in May until the end of October. Catch and release only, artificial flies and lures. Case closed.

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Thanks for finding out, MM. I believed you the first time though LOL.

Best,

Modest_Man said:
Talked with ODFW, all three are open under zone regulations. Last weekend in May until the end of October. Catch and release only, artificial flies and lures. Case closed.

bass
bass
Modest_Man said:

Once again MM ruins a perfect debate by bringing in a bunch of facts :)

E
eugene1
Hey, that's what we like, right? Haha!!

Best,

bass said:
Once again MM ruins a perfect debate by bringing in a bunch of facts :)