Bullfrogs wanted

D
drownworms
wheres a good population of bullfrogs?

B
Big3d
Not sure on good population but there are very large bullfrogs up at Hagg lake. I've seen several at wilsonville pond. Kinda depends which area. Hope someone has a better answer for you!

C_Run
C_Run
There's probably about a billion in Ankeny NWR but they probably don't want you harvesting in there. It's great for bullfrog viewing , though.

T
Troutier Bassier
Blue lake

T
TTFishon
What's your location and how far are you willing to drive?

I
igquick
Company Lake is filled with them, which probably means the bass aren't doing their job or there are not that many decent sized ones to eat them? I'm sure you could catch them there if you tried!

D
drownworms
im in springfield but id travel for a bucket full

H
HereFishy
What are you using to catch them? I use foam ear plugs (the multi-colored ones. Pink/yellow/purple). No hook, no weight. Just an earplug tied to my line. I walk the bank until I hear them jump in the water. Then I scan the water for their eyes sticking up. I throw out the earplug so they can see it. Most of the time they swim to within a few inches of it and just stare at it. If I'm lucky I'll see the underwater wake from other interested frogs in the area swimming over. Then I skip the earplug across the water. Moving it a few inches at a time then letting it sit for a few seconds. It usually only takes a few little skips across the water for them to go for it. The trick is to wait for the frog to swallow it completely (since I don't use hooks). Then I just fling them up and shore and the chase is on! They'll usually regurgitate the earplug mid-air. I sometimes just let them find their way back to the water. Is it weird that I C&R bullfrogs while I'm waiting for a fish to strike on my second rod? Is this a well known technique? I had never even heard of doing it this way before about 6 month ago. Just wanted to put in my $0.02.. One of these days I'm going to try to get enough good size frogs so I can smoke me some frog legs.

I
igquick
HereFishy said:
What are you using to catch them? I use foam ear plugs (the multi-colored ones. Pink/yellow/purple). No hook, no weight. Just an earplug tied to my line. I walk the bank until I hear them jump in the water. Then I scan the water for their eyes sticking up. I throw out the earplug so they can see it. Most of the time they swim to within a few inches of it and just stare at it. If I'm lucky I'll see the underwater wake from other interested frogs in the area swimming over. Then I skip the earplug across the water. Moving it a few inches at a time then letting it sit for a few seconds. It usually only takes a few little skips across the water for them to go for it. The trick is to wait for the frog to swallow it completely (since I don't use hooks). Then I just fling them up and shore and the chase is on! They'll usually regurgitate the earplug mid-air. I sometimes just let them find their way back to the water. Is it weird that I C&R bullfrogs while I'm waiting for a fish to strike on my second rod? Is this a well known technique? I had never even heard of doing it this way before about 6 month ago. Just wanted to put in my $0.02.. One of these days I'm going to try to get enough good size frogs so I can smoke me some frog legs.

Thats pretty cool, hunt for frogs while fishing for fish....genious

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
HereFishy said:

This is hilarious! Like squirrel fishing with Doritos LOL

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
drownworms said:

Hungry, eh? :D

M
Moe
We used to think it was fun hit up the lake at midnight and shine em with a spot light. Then four of us would all take a shot at them with our bb guns simultaneously to ensure the kill. I'd never eat a from but my Asian friend apparently found them delicious. Its seems like the bigger ones come out at night

T
TTFishon
drownworms said:

Can you travel by boat because I know a spot on an island on the Willamette River that's full of bullfrogs?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
TTFishon said:
Can you travel by boat because I know a spot on an island on the Willamette River that's full of bullfrogs?

I don't know if I told you, but on the Umpqua that day I was hanging on the gravel bar before Smith Ferry, I found a bunch of what I'm guessing were bullfrog tadpoles as big as freaking ping-pong balls. These things were HUGE.

T
TTFishon
GraphiteZen said:
I don't know if I told you, but on the Umpqua that day I was hanging on the gravel bar before Smith Ferry, I found a bunch of what I'm guessing were bullfrog tadpoles as big as freaking ping-pong balls. These things were HUGE.

I saw a bunch of tadpoles too. lol

T
Troutier Bassier
I caught around 20 today near the Expo Center in portland

H
HereFishy
Are you guys eating them? I've always wanted to try frog. Are the legs the only edible part? (for all the wise asses out there, by edible I mean 'palatable'. I know you could, in theory, eat the whole thing)

T
TJO
While looking for wildlife to shoot with my camera, I came across this little creek fed pond that was almost dry. These little bullfrogs crowded together in this little mud hole that is left. I was amazed watching these cannibals eat the tadpoles and each another. Along comes this snake and all the frogs quickly ran for their lives. The snake gorged himself with the easy tadpole pickings. Sorry I can't tell you where to find them. I need them around for more snake photography.

9600016953_22e0293237_b.jpg

9600016709_46ef4e4ebb_b.jpg

C_Run
C_Run
TJO said:
While looking for wildlife to shoot with my camera, I came across this little creek fed pond that was almost dry. These little bullfrogs crowded together in this little mud hole that is left. I was amazed watching these cannibals eat the tadpoles and each another. Along comes this snake and all the frogs quickly ran for their lives. The snake gorged himself with the easy tadpole pickings. Sorry I can't tell you where to find them. I need them around for more snake photography.

Great photos! The top one reminds me of the scene at Ankeny NWR.

W
waco
Nice pics!!!