Brook trout

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
tastybrookies said:
Does Gary Callahan ring any bells? My dad was born there, and lived there through 1979. I was born on Hatchet Mt., but they moved when I was 2.
I remember a Mike Callahan ?? My father was Marvin Morales, originally from Louisiana. He worked at Ospitals Garage and Scotts Mill I went to Burney High from 69 - 72. WOW not many people on earth have been born on Hatchet---lol I worked in high school at Dicks Chevron on main street. This just made me do a search of Vaughns Sporting Goods and they closed down 8 years ago. The last of the Vaughns. Still trying to figure out how I related, as owner Steve Vaughn was the son of my mothers sisters husband Rex's brother, Walt.. Im sure your dad and I know a lot of folks there. He had to know the Vaughns, as they also had the only insurance company in town. Holy cow was fishing great back then. No flatlanders in the woods! When Burney Creek would dry up in summer we would noodle huge Browns from under the dam and in pools throughout the mountains. Of course there was Baums Lake. My friends father was head hatchery ranger there and I knew when they were releasing big older spawners from the hatchery when it was trenches cut in the ground and not the concrete troughs it is now. I could still probably be a guide for spots in a 50 mile radius around Burney, except Id have to buy a ticket from ticketron to even enter the forest. God has this earth changed. All I ever used for lures was a super duper and a yellow bucktail spinner. I caught the most fish on plain old huge live grasshoppers. Now Im being racked with pangs of nostalgia!

tastybrookies
tastybrookies
That's wild! My dad swore by Super Dupers when I was a kid, so they're some of the only lures I've ever used! You're a little younger than him; he was in the Army and served in Berlin from '66 - '68. His grandpa, George Parr, was the sheriff out in Burney, I think. Funny story about my birth, my mom and dad were driving from Burney to the hospital in Redding, and they didn't make it! Had to pull over on the side of the road up near Hatchet, and she gave birth to me in the car. November 23, 1978. I'll have to run some of those names by my dad next time I talk to him. He's up on the Beartooth Highway right now near Yellowstone. Beautiful spot, lots of great fishing lakes out there.

Grant22
Grant22
In badger lake there are a TON of Brookies but they are not very big.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
In the early 70s I did a bunch of trench digging work for a sheriff who lived near hat creek area on a ranch. can't remember his name. Parr sounds familiar. Try the last names Vaughn, Day, Morales and West on him.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
Grant22 said:
In badger lake there are a TON of Brookies but they are not very big.
Badger? Id like to get a few, put them in a 100 gallon aquarium and see if I could make some monsters lol. Are they plants?

Grant22
Grant22
They must be because I don’t think that brook trout are native to Oregon (correct me if I’m wrong). However they are wild at this point. They stock rainbows there but it’s hard to catch them because you can’t keep the brook trout off your line.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
Sweet---there have to be a few monsters somewhere deep. Its closed due to Covid---maybe that will give them growing time.

Reactions: Grant22