Braided vs mono

J
Jdangler xD
I use mono for everything. Sometimes I fish a fluorocarbon tippet. Having a nice drag helps when using mono only but a drag is always important regardless of line choice. Saltwater is the only time I appreciate the benefits of non stretching braid. When I have a lot of line out, I like braid. But 96% of the time I use maxima.

Last edited:
B
Billamicasr
I tried to change from my Maxima Chameleon to braid. I primarily use 12# test which holds up well drift-fishing for Steelhead.

I set up a casting reel and a spinning reel with 30# Power Pro in moss green. I've missed several fish that I believe I would have had with the stretchy mono (maybe).
I'm switching back to mono for next winter even though I know it is a one season line. I think there may be a confidence factor as I've used Maxima for so long.

On the other hand I fish 30# braid with plastic worms and wiggly things for Largemouth Bass, usually on a Carolina rig with a long leader. I learned to slow down my hook set; I like how I can feel the slightest pick up or when a Bass sucks the bait into his mouth... I call it a rubber band bite LOL!

I've not done much float fishing for Steelhead, but will try out braid for that this summer also; I'm optimistic; seems like it would be easier to keep off the water and easier to mend to control the drift.

J
Jdangler xD
Billamicasr said:
I tried to change from my Maxima Chameleon to braid. I primarily use 12# test which holds up well drift-fishing for Steelhead.

I set up a casting reel and a spinning reel with 30# Power Pro in moss green. I've missed several fish that I believe I would have had with the stretchy mono (maybe).
I'm switching back to mono for next winter even though I know it is a one season line. I think there may be a confidence factor as I've used Maxima for so long.

On the other hand I fish 30# braid with plastic worms and wiggly things for Largemouth Bass, usually on a Carolina rig with a long leader. I learned to slow down my hook set; I like how I can feel the slightest pick up or when a Bass sucks the bait into his mouth... I call it a rubber band bite LOL!

I've not done much float fishing for Steelhead, but will try out braid for that this summer also; I'm optimistic; seems like it would be easier to keep off the water and easier to mend to control the drift.
I use anything from 6lb maxima to 50lb maxima. (Dry tippet/salt leader) and mainline I use 8-25lb usually. 25
high side. 10-12 average. I could see it while bass fishing. I have 10lb maxima on my 1pc 6'6" seeker react with a shimano curado. Specifically for jigging and tossing rubbers. Welcome to OFF!

Last edited:
M
Midgie Hater
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I only just saw it and the subject's on my mind at the moment.

Re braid: I had only ever fished with it once - on a sea loch back in the NW Highlands of Scotland - and I liked the fact that it gave me a sense of direct contact and instant feedback. I bought some of the exact same Power Pro line that Billamicasr used, and to that attached a 3-4 ft length of 10lb mono. It was this setup I was using when I got that first Steelhead I posted in the appropriate thread. First time using braid on a river and again I found the feedback to be very helpful at times in giving me some indication of what the lure was doing and also the current. One thing I noticed though is that it's very easy to "feel" or imagine you're feeling false bites. I guess river-bottom obstructions and holes and eddies when encountered can sometimes translate up the line as contact with the fish, but all-in-all I found it very positive and responsive to fish with.

Taking of knots though: I must admit I was scratching my head as to what this "double uni knot" is because it's not a term we use widely in the UK as far as I know. However, looking at diagrams it appears to be very close to the knot we call the double grinner and a damn-sight easier to tie than a double blood knot which I know some fly fishing purists in Britain still use to make droppers when tapering their own leaders instead of the three or four-turn water knot which, while much easier to tie, doesn't stand out quite so well from the mainline.

Incidentally, it seems you guys are using this knot to tie the braid directly to the mono (if I'm reading it right). When I was at Oxbow that day, and again at Dabney Skunked Park (guess what kind of afternoon that was...) I used a barrel swivel between the braid and the mono to eliminate line-twist and for easier re-tying of the leader if I was broken off (in my dreams!) or irretrievably snagged.

Just some thoughts.

J
Jdangler xD
I hardly use braid so I can't offer to much but what I can't tell you as for me, I like to use braid when I'm fishing rubbers for bass. Sometimes saltwater. But for steelhead and river fishing in general, I prefer mono, I toss spoons and can feel them bump rocks and stuff and I too can feel it imagine in detail the river bottom. As for the strike we all know how that feels, again I like how mono adds another measure of tiring a fish and utilizing your gear to its fullest. The drag on your reel, action of the rod and stretch in the line all play a great role in fighting fish. Especially when using mono, I find myself fiahing slightly under geared all the time because I enjoy fighting the fish (sometimes I up my gear) but because braid doesn't stretch I feel like I lose something significant. 10-12lb maxima is great for rivers. Even 15 depending on the river. Sorry if this post seems illiterate, my iPhone is difficult to use on the forum! I imagine if maxima wasn't so reliable I might be forced to find other line but until then maxima is rippin lips! Sorry if I didn't offer anything useful towards the cause. Just sharing what I can.
image.jpg

S
steelhead_stalkers
Can someone explain to me how braid is ever broken off in a river? I would imagine most people who are drift fishing braid have it tied to a swivel and then I hope some kind of leader. How would any braid ever end up in the river if they get hung up?? Having said this, it always boggles my mind when I see a 3 oz float coming down the river while winter steelhead fishing. What are those people at the hatchery hole doing to break off everything? :lol: I think old timers don't like people using braid because they don't like people in general. ;) I use braid for float fishing and mono for drift fishing and side drifting. There are reasons for both but it would take to long to explain them. Good luck.

J
Jordy
I wad also wondering about that. I haven't ever heard of breaking off a section of braid or had it happen to me. I am sure it happens on rare occasion when an angler finds a snag in unfamilliar water.

That said, how do people break of 60 or 70 years of mono? I fish more than most, and every winter and spring I "catch" enough mono to fill a 5 gallon bucket. All of those people could benefit from braid.

T
troutmasta
In general, I use braid when the mainline application requires line above 12lb (bobber, plug, plunk etc.) Mono on mainline apps 12 and below. (drift, hardware, etc)

I always use mono leader unless I'm fishing jig or bait deep, then flouro.

Braid has its place for sure.