Braided vs mono

G
guzer988
Oh, I see what knot joins the two? Thanks

O
OnTheDrop
Y'all heard of that new line which is both Braid and Mono!!!!????

G
guzer988
No.. Interesting

hobster
hobster
DrTheopolis said:
And IMO, if you drift fish with a leader longer than 36", you're an A-hole who needs to find a new hobby... but we're all entitled to our own opinion.

I agree. No need to have a longer leader than 3 ft. Not sure how long of a leader you use guezer but add a bumper if necessary.

guzer988 said:
Oh, I see what knot joins the two? Thanks

I love the double uni. Never has failed for me but others will have their opinions. Some think it is rough going through the guides but it doesn't bother me.

J
Jordy
Either a uni knot or an Albright knot. It depends on the size of each piece of line. It's a science to get this knot correct because it creates a weak point. Mostly I use a uni knot because it flows through the guides smoother.

The key is getting enough wraps to make the braid side of the knot just bigger than the mono to protect the mono while casting, yet not have it catch when you are getting the leader into the guides with a fish on. After experimenting you will see what I mean.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
ChezJfrey said:
I suppose to clarify, my 'longer leader' comment is a bit of a misnomer.

I was also not intending to necessarily mean just leader but rather the distance from braid to lure. I'm also not a drifter; I troll or cast...

O
OnTheDrop
hobster said:
I agree. No need to have a longer leader than 3 ft. Not sure how long of a leader you use guezer but add a bumper if necessary.

I love the double uni. Never has failed for me but others will have their opinions. Some think it is rough going through the guides but it doesn't bother me.

I run three knots... One of them is the Uni/Double Uni. Love it, and is simple...

C
ChezJfrey
Variation of Albright knot...I guess also known as Alberto: http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot/

The braid is wrapped around the mono loop (important that the braid is entering/leaving the loop on the same side). Very slim that way and quite strong.

C
ChezJfrey
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I run three knots... One of them is the Uni/Double Uni. Love it, and is simple...

Yeah, but that double uni counts as two of the three knots ;)

That's why I don't like to tie them...I'm doing twice the work for one knot.

G
guzer988
hobster said:

I use 3 foot leader.

N
Native Fisher
Interesting comments, I don't use braid anymore, however I do use nanofil which is a superline and not a braid I guess. I don't use a set leader length for drift fishing, some holes I need 18 or 20" other holes when I want the leader to go down straight below/parallel to the shore I'm standing on I have to use 3-4 feet leader. For bobber and jig I pretie my leaders at 2ft and I'm good to go.

D
DrTheopolis
Let me, too, clarify -- I was in no way accusing anyone here of any ethical violations. Started out just pointing out that some less experienced people could misinterpret how the fine posters here described as ways to rig -- it occurred to me while I pictured some of the setups that a person confusing the bumper for a leader would make them illegal in certain fisheries... that was all.

That of course led to my oft-repeated rant against flossers. But frankly, I'll take a guess that people who went to the trouble of registering for a website to discuss fishing and various fishing techniques aren't flossers, since flossers don't have much to learn or OFFer anyone else.

Apologies if I OFFended anyone, which was far from my intent.

Reactions: rogerdodger
R
rippin fish lips
guzer988 said:
Recently switched to 20 # braided mainline, caught lots of fish with 12# mono but the memory was horrible it would wrap around my rod tip not allowing my drag to work properly, haven't had a bit since the switch to braided did I make a bad move switching, is still use a 3 foot leader that never has changed

Get back to MONO LINE if your drift fishing!! Get the braid out of there and only use your braid when bobber fishing/trolling, or fishing off the jettys! SEriously though... You do not need braided line as a mainline for DRIFT FISHING.

GO get you some 10 or 12lb Berkley big game or 10 lb maxima or 10-12 suffix seige and drift fish with that! 10lb maxima is (12lb TEST)! Use maxima 8lb and 10lb for your leaders! Never use braid when drift fishing or Hardware fishing for steelheaD! you will catch more fish with mono in a fresh flowing river if drift fishing and hardware fishing!

With lines 10lb or higher YOU WILL HAVE MEMORY NO MATTER WHAT. Use maxima, suffix siege, or berkley big game....

Putting too much line that is 10lb or 12lb on your real can lead to some nice problems when you get to the river too.

Last edited:
A
Aton
DrTheopolis said:
And IMO, if you drift fish with a leader longer than 36", you're an A-hole who needs to find a new hobby... but we're all entitled to our own opinion.

If they bite your fishing. If you floss, your flossing...

I can think of many reasons to adjust leader lengths longer than three feet. Maybe faster current, maybe fish are suspended, or a method I've been messing with (drift dogging). In an effort to mimic the bobber doggers I'll tie on an exceptionally long leader, 8-12 ml. bead and more weight than I would normally use to drift. Pretty much have to help the lead along the drift to prevent hanging up. The idea is to get the bead fluttering aimlessly. Not a preferred method, not overly successful (Got a couple though). And, generally, flossing requires stacked fish, not been a lot of that this year!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Aton said:
If they bite your fishing. If you floss, your flossing...

ding ding ding

G
guzer988
Most of the replys have been positive so I'll stick with braided, unless I don't land a fish by sat afternoon then going back to mono 12 maxima yellow cause I like hi vise thanks to everyone !! Fish on

J
Jordy
guzer988 said:
Most of the replys have been positive so I'll stick with braided, unless I don't land a fish by sat afternoon then going back to mono 12 maxima yellow cause I like hi vise thanks to everyone !! Fish on
more high vis braid options than mono

N
Native Fisher
rippin fish lips said:
Get back to MONO LINE if your drift fishing!! Get the braid out of there and only use your braid when bobber fishing/trolling, or fishing off the jettys! SEriously though... You do not need braided line as a mainline for DRIFT FISHING.

GO get you some 10 or 12lb Berkley big game or 10 lb maxima or 10-12 suffix seige and drift fish with that! 10lb maxima is (12lb TEST)! Use maxima 8lb and 10lb for your leaders! Never use braid when drift fishing or Hardware fishing for steelheaD! you will catch more fish with mono in a fresh flowing river if drift fishing and hardware fishing!

With lines 10lb or higher YOU WILL HAVE MEMORY NO MATTER WHAT. Use maxima, suffix siege, or berkley big game....

Putting too much line that is 10lb or 12lb on your real can lead to some nice problems when you get to the river too.

Having been at this for awhile I am quite commfortable saying you will FEEL more not just bites, but bottom contours, rocks logs, sandy substrate patches, slack line bites, with braid then mono, it simply telegraphs them better. I am equally comfortable drift fishing as I am bobber, I fish the way that the hole dictates, sometimes that bobbers, sometimes it is free drifting small baits of eggs, sometimes it is a bunch of pencil lead or a split shot, either way I feel more with braid, I'd rather fish a clarus with braid then my Si with mono....

G
guzer988
Yeah I'm leaning this way!

hobster
hobster
Most old timers i know hate people drifting with braid. It gets broken off in the holes and then if your mono gets hung up on braid it cuts it like a razor. They have a point. I think Tanner was alluding to that when he said "Get the braid out of there". I've tried it and you do feel more through braid but i'll always stick to mono. It has more advantages. To each his own though.