Braided vs mono

G
guzer988
Recently switched to 20 # braided mainline, caught lots of fish with 12# mono but the memory was horrible it would wrap around my rod tip not allowing my drag to work properly, haven't had a bit since the switch to braided did I make a bad move switching, is still use a 3 foot leader that never has changed

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have never had any issues using braid as mainline, 50# on my chinook rods, 20# or 30# on my trout/kokanee rods...I do run more leader, depending on exactly what sort of rigging I am using, it is always at least 5' to 7' back from the braid to the lure/plug/herring...

D
DrTheopolis
I hate braid, and haven't used it in many years. I don't like the no-stretch aspect, but my biggest issue is that if for some reason you do get a tangle (sure, if you handle your gear properly it shouldn't happen, but we all know it does, because no one is perfect), you're done fishing, and are spending the rest of your day trying to fix it.

OK, that was a bit of hyperbole, but I personally have no use for braid.

G
guzer988
Thanks for the insight, I guess my question is do steel head see my braided line? Because no bites in last 2 days when I was on a roll hooking a fish everyday

J
Jordy
They can see it so in water this clear its a good idea to use a longer leader (its a good idea anytime to add some shock absorbtion). Keep in mind your presentation also changed because the diameter is much smaller than mono so you aren't getting much drag from the current.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
I hate braid, and haven't used it in many years. I don't like the no-stretch aspect, but my biggest issue is that if for some reason you do get a tangle (sure, if you handle your gear properly it shouldn't happen, but we all know it does, because no one is perfect), you're done fishing, and are spending the rest of your day trying to fix it.

I see it more as technique adjustment, setting the hook and fighting a fish with braid mainline just requires subtle adjustments, to each their own...

as for avoiding and clearing tangles, braid or mono, I recon some of us are better at that than others...:D

guzer988 said:
Thanks for the insight, I guess my question is do steel head see my braided line? Because no bites in last 2 days when I was on a roll hooking a fish everyday

I would use a longer leader for sure...

C
ChezJfrey
Jordy said:
They can see it so in water this clear its a good idea to use a longer leader (its a good idea anytime to add some shock absorbtion). Keep in mind your presentation also changed because the diameter is much smaller than mono so you aren't getting much drag from the current.

All good points...mostly because they match my thinking :)

Longer leader for some shock absorption; will also help for line-shy fish.
Less drag from skinnier braid in water changes presentation slightly.

G
guzer988
Good stuff!!

J
Jordy
ChezJfrey said:
All good points...mostly because they match my thinking :)

Longer leader for some shock absorption; will also help for line-shy fish.
Less drag from skinnier braid in water changes presentation slightly.
I tend to agree with you agreeing with me.

Beautiful day to be fishing some braid... let's see if the fish agree (spoiler: I thing they will). Lol.

hobster
hobster
What technique of fishing are you doing? Sounds like drift fishing, if so a longer leader is important like stated above. I use braid for my bobber rod like most people but don't like it for spinners or drift fishing. My buddy loves drift fishing with braid and you sure feel every bump but a good rod helps out a lot with mono. Water has been low and clear, i'd lenghten my leader and it'll help out with shock absorption like Chez said. I have an 8 ft mono 20# bumper for my bobber rod for that purpose.

D
DrTheopolis
On a related note -- regardless whether these suggestions are good for anyone or not, check all the regs before you go, since some of these suggestions might lead one to rig up in a way that would violate anti-snagging rules on the streams that have them.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DrTheopolis said:
On a related note -- regardless whether these suggestions are good for anyone or not, check all the regs before you go, since some of these suggestions might lead one to rig up in a way that would violate anti-snagging rules on the streams that have them.

Dr.T is correct but the general anti-snagging rules have no restrictions on leader length:

Anti-snagging Regulation:
Except when fishing with a buoyant lure (with no weights added to the line or lure), or trolling from a moving
vessel or floating device, terminal fishing gear is restricted to an artificial fly, lure, or bait with one single point
hook. Hooks must measure 3/4-inch or less from point to shank, and must be attached to or below the
lure or bait. Weights may not be attached below or less than 18 inches above the lure or bait. See Special
Regulations where anti-snagging regulation is in place.

there are some locations under Special Regulations that include a 36" limit as part of Gear Restrictions (in NE zone, I find it for Three Rivers and Trask but only from May 1 to July 15 or July 31 )...always check where you are fishing to be certain...cheers, roger

D
DrTheopolis
And IMO, if you drift fish with a leader longer than 36", you're an A-hole who needs to find a new hobby... but we're all entitled to our own opinion.

G
guzer988
DrTheopolis said:
And IMO, if you drift fish with a leader longer than 36", you're an A-hole who needs to find a new hobby... but we're all entitled to our own opinion.

Why?

D
DrTheopolis
guzer988 said:

Because at that point, you're not "fishing," you're "flossing." A bare hook will produce every bit as well as whatever you were going to put on the hook.

Unethical and illegal, and completely devoid of sportsmanship.

I'll probably take heat for saying that here, but I have great disdain for flossers and snaggers, and they need to get OFF the rivers.

C
ChezJfrey
I suppose to clarify, my 'longer leader' comment is a bit of a misnomer.

I run braid with about 9 feet of mono attached. When using hardware, the lure is far from sight of the braided line. When drifting, I attach a barrel swivel to the end of that 9 foot piece, the weight is added there at the swivel, then an additional, even lighter piece of 2-3 feet mono is attached to the swivel for the hook terminal. This way, the braid is very far away from anything the fish might see and I get that extra bit of give that seems to help retaining fish in a fight.

I do the same with my float rigs and that way the float slides along the mono, which eliminates braid fraying that might occur from the sliding float action.

J
Jordy
I could could have been more specific. I am talking about a "bumper" (leader material) not a traditional leader on a drift rig.

J
Jordy
Lol Jeff could we be more tuned in today?

J
Jordy
DrTheopolis said:

Are you speaking particularly about steelhead fishing having no use for braid?

From the ocean to B10 all the way up to the headwaters of the Santiams and everywhere in between I probably spool 5 thousand yards of braid a year. Without that durability I wouldn't be able to fish much.

G
guzer988
hobster said:
What technique of fishing are you doing? Sounds like drift fishing, if so a longer leader is important like stated above. I use braid for my bobber rod like most people but don't like it for spinners or drift fishing. My buddy loves drift fishing with braid and you sure feel every bump but a good rod helps out a lot with mono. Water has been low and clear, i'd lenghten my leader and it'll help out with shock absorption like Chez said. I have an 8 ft mono 20# bumper for my bobber rod for that purpose.

Yes, drifting