Bonnie Lure warning!

C
Callaway
if your going to be desperate enough to go to bonnie lure and fish with 30 other people in a 25 yard gap then i have one last warning for you.
WATCH FOR THE LOCALS, the ones who live on the river on the opposite side of the creek from where we can fish.
i went to faraday yesterday and then stopped by bonnie lure out of pure desperation after watching two guys snag countless natives at faraday (yes i was plenty close enough to see they were almost ALL snaggs ( real sportsman like id rather get skunked than snag)
while at bonnie lure i started up a decent conversation with the guy next to me and then we watched just how stupid people can be or just how careless and rude.
we all know how the channel at bonnie lure is, well the lady who lives in the shack next to the red house decides shes gonna come out and carry a fishing pole at least while she WALKS RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE HOLE!!!
me and the guy next to me both were pretty stupified by the whole ordeal and he was even telling her what she was doing and where she was doing it was wrong.
about 5 minutes later i left and ive made the decision now that i dont care how desperate i get im NOT going back there that place is a zoo and a circus having a head on crash at 60.
im fine with being skunked, im not but its better than that place.
just a friendly warning to watch out for the local incesticadians.
-callaway

C
chrisohm
That is total aggravation at its best. Be careful what you call people, some folks from Estacada might be watching you. If you want to combat fish then head on to Cedar or Eagle. There are always locals and they don't like most of us either. It also seems like a bad year all around for salmon fishing unless you are at the coast. I got skunked yesterday jetty fishing....ok so maybe I caught tiny flounder. I remember last year the Sandy was on fire consistently, the Clackamas was just a hushed up joke. Now they both seem to be hushed up jokes. I have seen lots of dark fish this year too being pulled out of the Sandy and the Clack. There were plenty of bright ones last year. Take your desperation to the coast and nab a bright, fresh silver!

S
skunk
Don't even get me started about BL. And call the locals what you want, when they snag and keep natives, take the eggs and toss the nates back, then call them whatever comes to mind!!!

C
chrisohm
We could all just go there, take pictures and turn in all the cheapskates. Drag an official down there or just tie one to a tree so they can see the monster they created. We could even petition ODFW to close that hatchery and move the program to a different hatchery. If you want to play mean with the locals, shut down their fishery! Accidents happen sometimes when a tree or two fall just in the right way to cut off traffic to Eagle Creek...no passage, no fish. IMO, they should have never put the hatchery there in the first place. Close that hatchery and move it all to McIver.

troutdude
troutdude
There is a phone number on the back of your license. You can call in, and report flossers, poachers, etc. Did you call?

C
chrisohm
By the time anyone could get to the creek the evidence and person would be gone.

C
Callaway
you know, i had that same thought yesterday, for an area like that, small narrow tight, there should be someone stopping by everyday to check that out.
talk about bringing in some revenue from tickets maybe a couple overnighters or more.
and to talk on the dark fish, every native i saw get pulled(snagged) from Faraday was very dark, the ones that wernt already decomposing and spawned out, i must have seen 5 fish that looked like they were caught between a sea lion and a bear.
i was told to go to the sandy a few weeks ago froma guy at fishermans, to the cedar creek hatchery, saw the same thing there but there were some keepers coming out.
i totally agree with changing the hatchery that is a terrible place to have public fishing and im honestly surprised a homicide or two hasnt come out of that spot yet.
just terrible planning on odfw part, but then again how many odfw fishermen are stuck with bank fishing?
id love to get on a boat or a drifter but im just a professional unemployment fisherman haha
i think that will be my new title lol
-callaway Professional Unemployment Fisherman

S
skunk
I was there last weekend. While there was an officer there, two I think as one was undercover, there was no 'bite', as soon as they left somehow the bite turned on. When guys get excited and yell 'its legal' make you wonder what they term as legal? Nobody hiking like I was found or landed fish, but the hole crowd was limiting out. When one backs up through the line with a fish foul hooked in the tail and the whole line and stands its ground and just watches the chaos its time to find another hobby till the fish move.

C
chrisohm
Some of the fish you are referring to as Faraday fish are most likely old spawned out chinook. The coho did not even reach Estacada lake until a week ago. A few weeks back you could still see huge chinook just cruising around Estacada lake. Those are the fish you see in the area below faraday

F
fishingfreak
Are you guys fishing right below the bridge? That spot is always chaotic during Coho season I will not even fish there this time of year! That is like shooting fish in a barrel! Call Mark Schoenborn OSP 503-490-4856. This is his cell he will shut the Estacada Fly down within minutes if he is close! (4/0 treble hook or 4/0 standard hook- 1oz weight and Yarn)! I never fish there for Coho I just hike down river and catchem the right way! If they quit biting give it a 1/2 hr and a new batch will move in. But you are correct they are coming in to dark for me to even try the creek! Some of the hens look good I hear! Farraday you are correct all old Springers in them thar waters! My whole family lives in Estacada and i grew up there. Most these people you see snagging and netting are not from there and the ones that you see there are just plain ignorant and think they own the fish and water because they pay taxes and live on the creek. I have had many discussion with these people over the 30 yrs I have been Trout fishing the Clack and the EC. Now that I fish for the big guys its even worse. The Sandy is the same way now! I have been finding more friendly and less populated waters to fish! Even if it means driving to the coast, Wash, or up the Gorge.

Last edited:
F
fishingfreak
skunk said:
I was there last weekend. While there was an officer there, two I think as one was undercover, there was no 'bite', as soon as they left somehow the bite turned on. When guys get excited and yell 'its legal' make you wonder what they term as legal? Nobody hiking like I was found or landed fish, but the hole crowd was limiting out. When one backs up through the line with a fish foul hooked in the tail and the whole line and stands its ground and just watches the chaos its time to find another hobby till the fish move.

Gotta love that one! ITS LEGAL or ITS IN THE MOUTH!

C
Callaway
thank you for the phone number for the OSP guy, he will deffinantly be hearing from me
my theory, call and call and call until the only people willing to deal with the officers being out in enforcement everywhere are the actual sportsman who are legal and know the differance between a snag and a real hook set
its just sad really, i was born in this state and grew up in san diego as a military family, always thought of moving home to the real outdoors and real fishing and real hunting, then i get up here 3 years ago and see that this is the way things are up here.
been wondering how to do something about it ( not a clean enough record to be a game warden or ranger of any type, i was young n dumb) now that i know maybe some changes will come.
or ill just be the guy annoying odfw and osp about how disgusting the conditions are hahaha
either way, we ALL need to step up and police ourselves like the guy standing next to me did at bonnie lure, if you read this buddy thank you and big ups to you you were a lot more respectful and kinder than i would have been.
and dont worry, i usually do myself, when i see stuff that i KNOW is wrong i call it out
any ways, thank you all for the understanding and thank you for the number to OSP
-callaway

C
Callaway
just one more thing i have to add.
its been over a year since i landed a salmon of any kind.
i think thats probably why it is so frustrating to me to see all the people fishing wrong catching and keeping and why i vent it all out here sometimes.
sorry for the venting all and if any of my real sportsman brothers, or sisters, would be willing to help me in my pursuit i would be very appreciative and be more than willing to help with anything i could as re-payment or fair trade.
and not just keep hiking and looking or use google earth, ive been doing all that this whole time and trying same spots for a couple days before moving on.
but like i said i grew up in SD im a bass and salt water bay fisher thats all ive ever had so yes i am still learning the salmon game and trying trying trying
ok, thats all for now thank you everybody
-callaway

M
Modest_Man
Your time will come! I'd rater get skunked on a nice piece of water than battle for snagged fish any day. Last Saturday I was going to swing by Bonnie Lure but didn't even get out of my car and turned around, went down to Barton Park and saw one other guy and caught a nice summer steelhead to boot! First salmon/steelhead for me for the year as well...and I've put in plenty of time on the water.

I kind of think that BL and CC tend to congregate the snaggers so I can go fish some nice water somewhere else by myself...

N
nativefish
Saw some on hook and keep a fall nook in oxbow on the sandy, they were reported and state police were on scene within 10 minutes.

T
Thuggin4Life
What else could you expect living in portland. Biggest monkey show in the state. And im not even talking about the fishing.

C
Callaway
i should have done what you did modest_man, i thought about just going to barton when i passed the sign.
ive spent a little bit of time out there exploring up and down the river trying to catch something
glad to hear someone got reported for their ******** behavior, and thuggin4life you are absolutly right about portland and its just sad
well, anyone want to get together and go to a spot somewhere? im looking to get out tomorrow or wednesday afternoon for a few hours anyone interested in getting together or sharing a decent non crowded spot shoot me a PM
till then good luck on the tight lines my friends
-callaway Professional Unemployment Fisherman (can't live on 90 bucks a week so i fish on it)

D
dozer365
callaway, i can feel ur pain. ive been living up here and the mount hood area for yrs. and ive watched the sportmenship decline rapidly, it sickens me to see pl get away with flossing and snagging, foul hooking fish guttin them for eggs and throwing the bodies back. just sick. some ppl from sandy, estacada, troutdale, dont matter where ya from. no one owns the river's, ive had police called on me for fishing the bank behind ppl's house. and laughed, i pick up after myself and fish proper, get ahold of me callaway. if u drive i can take u to some of my old haunt's. have to look into the regulation changes on the sandy and salmon. but probably in about 2-3 weeks , get on some serious fish. if ur intertested. i can put up on gas. but only have fridays and saturdays to throw my lines out.

L
Longleaderguy
fishingfreak said:
Gotta love that one! ITS LEGAL or ITS IN THE MOUTH!

My favorite is......he fuxing hammered it!! Almost ripped the pole out of my hands

C
Callaway
lol yea getting drug in by the tail haha